Storage after 2nd row removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm interested in seeing what others have done AFTER removing the 2nd row seats. I pulled the pass side 40% seat today, it wasn't hard, and I popped in the usual 2.2 ohm resister trick, no SRS lights on the dash. Now I need to start laying out what I'm gonna do to extend the ARB drawers so I have a full flat platform, but with hinges on the lid so I can access the storage below.

BTW, in case anybody is interested, here's what things look like without the seat, lots of options for bolting in some sort of frame. The front passenger seat is all the way back in this photo. As you can see, I have a BlueSeas fuse block on the front of my drawers, fed from the 2nd battery. LOTS of volume gained with those seats gone!

DSC_0005.JPG

What’s crazy is how HEAVY the 60% seat is. Right around 100 pounds! I put my full fridge freezer there and actually come out AHEAD weight-wise...!

Well, after all the excellent suggestions I got in this thread, I set about building my platform concept on Friday night. Actually I mostly just pulled the other seat out (WOW that thing is a bear to get out), then took a bunch of measurements. Went inside with my sketch pad, had a cold beverage, and started working out how I was gonna do this. Started working on Saturday afternoon, my goal was to make a big flat platform with lots of storage underneath, but I wanted to use up a bunch of scrap lumber and hardware I have laying around. I ended up only having to buy a package of screws and a piece of poplar for the front trim, so I have less than $10 into this whole project. Here's what I came up with:

IMG_20191111_125930.jpg

The little vertical trim at the front is a lip to hopefully catch stuff from sliding off the front edge and falling to the floor. I probably will need to add traction to the deck, maybe I'll get some cheap carpet runner material and staple it down.

Hinged portion open, there is a LOT of room in there. I found a scrap of commercial carpet at the office that was heading to the dumpster, so I cut a hunk to protect the truck carpeting.

IMG_20191111_130053.jpg

This is how I attached to the ARB drawers, I used some Simpson angle brackets, drilled out to for the existing bolts.

IMG_20191111_130200.jpg

I'm bolted to the floor in 2 places, using the existing seat bolts. You can see the wires from the seat (heaters and airbags) tucked under the carpeting.

IMG_20191111_130209.jpg

I'm not that tall (5'-8"), but I wanted 6' of platform to fully support a good mattress. Even with the front seats all the way back, there's still plenty of room.

IMG_20191111_130521.jpg

This is all made out of scrap 1X pine and a chunk of 3/4" plywood that I recycled from another project, and a piece of scrap 2x4. Some screws, a few brackets, some spare hinges, and it's all done. This is actually a prototype, I really want to make a more functional unit that will look and work better, but I have a road trip planned for January, so this will let me work out ideas. My next one will be a welded steel frame, with 1/2" birch ply panels, covered in carpeting to match the ARB drawers. I also want to try to make it modular, so I can pull out or install halves that match the seats. It's back out of the truck now, and it is a challenge for one person to move.

So far I've decided the hinged lids are too big and awkward.

This looks great! I am looking forward to removing the large seat in my future LX and making some tool storage. It looks like there is SO much room there.

What’s crazy is how HEAVY the 60% seat is. Right around 100 pounds! I put my full fridge freezer there and actually come out AHEAD weight-wise...!
No Kidding! I wish there were lightweight replacement options for all six seat modules. Could probably cut 300 lbs and still have solid, comfortable seats.

Well, after all the excellent suggestions I got in this thread, I set about building my platform concept on Friday night. Actually I mostly just pulled the other seat out (WOW that thing is a bear to get out), then took a bunch of measurements. Went inside with my sketch pad, had a cold beverage, and started working out how I was gonna do this. Started working on Saturday afternoon, my goal was to make a big flat platform with lots of storage underneath, but I wanted to use up a bunch of scrap lumber and hardware I have laying around. I ended up only having to buy a package of screws and a piece of poplar for the front trim, so I have less than $10 into this whole project. Here's what I came up with:

View attachment 2130741

The little vertical trim at the front is a lip to hopefully catch stuff from sliding off the front edge and falling to the floor. I probably will need to add traction to the deck, maybe I'll get some cheap carpet runner material and staple it down.

Hinged portion open, there is a LOT of room in there. I found a scrap of commercial carpet at the office that was heading to the dumpster, so I cut a hunk to protect the truck carpeting.

View attachment 2130744

This is how I attached to the ARB drawers, I used some Simpson angle brackets, drilled out to for the existing bolts.

View attachment 2130746

I'm bolted to the floor in 2 places, using the existing seat bolts. You can see the wires from the seat (heaters and airbags) tucked under the carpeting.

View attachment 2130749

I'm not that tall (5'-8"), but I wanted 6' of platform to fully support a good mattress. Even with the front seats all the way back, there's still plenty of room.

View attachment 2130751

This is all made out of scrap 1X pine and a chunk of 3/4" plywood that I recycled from another project, and a piece of scrap 2x4. Some screws, a few brackets, some spare hinges, and it's all done. This is actually a prototype, I really want to make a more functional unit that will look and work better, but I have a road trip planned for January, so this will let me work out ideas. My next one will be a welded steel frame, with 1/2" birch ply panels, covered in carpeting to match the ARB drawers. I also want to try to make it modular, so I can pull out or install halves that match the seats. It's back out of the truck now, and it is a challenge for one person to move.

So far I've decided the hinged lids are too big and awkward.

Looks awsome and provides some great ideas for my fertile brain.

Did you ever get around to replacing your prototype? You mentioned welded steel....what about extruded aluminum?

Looks awsome and provides some great ideas for my fertile brain.

Did you ever get around to replacing your prototype? You mentioned welded steel....what about extruded aluminum?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any trips last summer, so I never got back on this project. It's on my list for this summer, I have all the steel set aside to make the frame.

First I need to rig up some sort of setup for pulling out that drivers side second row seat. I about had a stroke last time trying to get it back in.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any trips last summer, so I never got back on this project. It's on my list for this summer, I have all the steel set aside to make the frame.

First I need to rig up some sort of setup for pulling out that drivers side second row seat. I about had a stroke last time trying to get it back in.
You can say that again. I took it out a few weeks ago and was not prepared for how heavy it was and was lucky I didn't drop it. Getting it back in is even more of a b$tch. Just had my 18 year old help me take it out this evening. Hoping to hit the trail this weekend and try sleeping inside since it'll just be me. I'm going low-tech and trying either a single, long cushion from an old couch or a camp cot that fits as well. I Will need to bolster the front some but if I'm comfortable, I'll work on a "real" solution down the road.

Thanks again for the ideas and tips on how to connect it to the original bolt holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom