Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice photo dump Matt
Great pics

I'm uploading pics from my iphone, and going back and adding descriptions on my desktop currently. Typing on the iphone sucks for long technical descriptions. I'll be done in a sec

So you did pull it again, I thought you were just dumping old pics... :(

Yes I did. I pulled it out last Friday and put it back in yesterday morning, so only a week of downtime at least.

Reinstalled Saturday morning. I also completely re-sealed and inspected my NV4500. I am still getting some gear noise but it may just be that my NV4500 is noisy, or has a bearing on the way out. Not sure what is "normal" with my setup.
I also did an oil change on my 5.3.
After testing now leaks so far other then the transfer case rear output seal that's now dripping. Must have nicked it during assembly. At least that's a quick fix. Always something :rolleyes:

5AAF1335-5054-4EA4-907F-894CDFF32222.jpeg

Regarding your DIY McNamara. Were you pre and post heating for the welds?

welding joint: did you machine a nice chamfer on them for good penetration?
I had mine done at work by a professional welder and we used the kiln for pre and post heat. Never had a problem.
A96A3A0F-9A99-4137-ACD6-B0620526DD70.jpeg

F882A30F-8FDD-4DAE-9128-891264E552E3.jpeg

Regarding your DIY McNamara. Were you pre and post heating for the welds?

welding joint: did you machine a nice chamfer on them for good penetration?
I had mine done at work by a professional welder and we used the kiln for pre and post heat. Never had a problem.

Is your spacer between your gears splined or is it the original spacer? Just curious. Mine is a cut-down PTO gear so I have full spline engagement all the way through the stack.

I am confident that the reason my weld broke was that the spacer underneath had ground down first allowing for the thrust from the idler gear under coast to push it that direction.
I did not pre or post heat my welds, however the first go-round I did wrap it in a a few welding gloves for a good controlled cool-down. That being said, I did weld it on the cold side the first go round, I was concerned with penetration getting into the splines and sticking to the main shaft. This time I welded it much hotter.
I did not machine a chamfer but I did make a nice bevel with my grinder. I was concerned that my lathe tooling would not be adequate so I didn't try. Your's looks nicely done, and I'm going to guess done on a weld positioner.

I don't believe this weld lives under a bunch of stress if the input gear is tight between the output shaft nut and whatever the input gear sits against, In my case the spacer from Advance.

When i did mine 4 years ago i put everything in my wood stove on a rack also used a pto gear that i cut down on a lathe then mig welded it put it back in the wood stove for a few then wrapped it so it could cool down slow. Looks like you guys tig welded yours. We can do all this work ourselves witch is cool but for the time would be way easier just to buy the gear. Nice write up and pics Matt.

for the time would be way easier just to buy the gear.

Maybe for some guys. Aren't the gears like $400? It only took me 10 minutes or so to chop up the PTO gear and another five minutes to weld them. Also the ones you can buy don't grab the PTO gear so you're only getting 2/3 the engagement

You're a trooper for putting up with all these problems

Not sure which is more accurate, trooper or something seriously wrong with me.

I think I gotta pull the transmission again. Now that the transfer case is quiet I can really hear what I think may be a bad NV4500 mainshaft bearing. Pretty loud above 65-70mph and when coasting in gear or nuetral

Last edited:
The middle part of my DIY gear was a spare PTO gear turned down on a lathe. The machinist who cut it down for me said it was hard as hell.

The welder did it all by hand without a rotating positioner. I am lucky to have access to very skilled aerospace machinists and welders and a workplace that allows small personal projects.

Doing some more reading (and listening) and now having second thoughts about a possible transmission issue.
Apparently rear differential issues can easily transmit gear noise up through the driveline.

This video has a very similar noise in terms of tone, but lower volume. I am cruising at probably double the speed though. I took a video of my own on the way to work this morning and will upload it as soon as I figure out how to.
According to the comments he had several mechanics tell him he had a bad transmission too.. Maybe I'll look into the rear diff first, it has a small drip anyways. I checked the oil a few weeks ago and it was pretty full, but couldn't see the condition. I can't remember if I had it apart and put fresh oil in it when I did my SOA or if it was longer then that.
I wish I had a front selectable locker so I could just pull the rear driveshaft.
It would be nice if it was the rear end since I completely rebuilt the NV4500 at the end of 2017 with all new everything. Plus its just easier to deal with rear axle.

I wish I had a front selectable locker so I could just pull the rear driveshaft.
You can totally do this to test it out; a locker wouldn't change your ability to drive in "front wheel drive". Just remove the driveshaft and engage 4wd as usual, the only change in the system is that the rear tires won't be driven.

You can totally do this to test it out; a locker wouldn't change your ability to drive in "front wheel drive". Just remove the driveshaft and engage 4wd as usual, the only change in the system is that the rear tires won't be driven.

Ok so I'm going to guess you haven't actually tried driving with just the front axle engaged and a lunchbox locker up front on pavement. Especially not at the 60-70mph speeds I am getting the noise at. If you did you would know that's completely un-drivable and dangerous. I've tried it.

Just had a free hour-ish so pulled it out again and got it dissembled on the bench.
Haven’t gotten into the small mainshaft bearings yet but none of the four main tapered roller bearings are individually sticking out as bad, but lots of fine glitter in the oil and some glazing on the races. I’m going to throw another bearing kit at it.
0AA8295F-799E-451C-AEBA-FE8EC152CE12.jpeg

F4086E0A-67B9-45E2-8DCC-3D2DBA73D94E.jpeg

3592E150-2974-4D65-BA69-57EE3D23B9ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Never fun to find glittery oil like that...

You mentioned daily driving the 62 now - Did you sell the dually?

- Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom