2019 78 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been meaning to announce the purchase of a 2019 78 series. These are a couple of photos of that I took last weekend. Unfortunately, I had to abandon a scheduled 5 day camping vacation due to another Typhoon. There are going to be a lot of changes that I will make over the next year and a half. I'm planning to turn it into an expedition camper for possible future world travel. The cargo area is similar to Expeditions 7 since we have two young children that really enjoy camping. I've already built it, just doing some minor modifications. Without being to able to find any measurements on the Expeditions 7 build I had to do a lot of guess work in Sketchup. I'm only about 10mm off on each side after the cargo area sides were replaced with 6.5mm Baltic Birch plywood. No doubt that it is all very heavy but I don't have to work about standing on it or sleeping on it. I do intend to purchase a pop-up roof top tent so that all four of us can sleep inside.

So far I'm really impressed with it. I think the only thing that has been a problem is the turning radius. But that may be due to living in Japan where there are so many narrow roads. It has plenty of power. I was concerned that the brakes would not be sufficient since it has drums on the rear, but it has not been a problem so far.

This was a dream that started a long time ago and it took a couple of years to find a dealer that I felt that I could trust since these have to be imported and up fitted for DPF and then certified. The dealer imported a left-hand drive from Dubai last June and it has taken that long to get everything sorted. Last month he had about 6 lined up just before the tax rate increase. He was scrambling to get all of them registered before the first of October.

If anyone has any questions, I will try my best to answer.

IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0746.jpeg

I’m thinking about upgrades and tuning the engine is something that I may do in the future. But I have to confirm with the dealer if any changes are allowable in Japan. I already know that I cannot tint the front passenger and driver’s side windows. We have inspections here and for my truck it will be every year after the first two years. It’s a real pain but just something that everyone has to deal with.

Why buy the petrol when a diesel is an option? I’m quite happy with the diesel.

Well it’s just that for a RTW trip a basic petrol with the 1gr-fe ( which is sold on Japan, btw) might be better that a modern V8 diesel
Common Rail with DPF, With bad fuel and altitude in mind

Wouldn't altitude be better in a common rail turbo charged engine rather than an NA port injection vehicle? I'm thinking that's a win for the Diesel. Either way, its Shoganai, he already has it! Beautiful troopy Don! You wouldn't happen to live near/drive by Tajimi every would you? My co worker and I always talk about the 78s we see especially with a hood scoop. He said he saw a white one last week!

Hey Blomdala,

I haven't been that far southwest yet. I live north of Tokyo in Urawa and often camp in Yamanashi. In fact I was down that way the previous weekend. But had to return home in the middle of the night due to the Typhoon.

My truck was built in Japan and as far I as I know at the Yoshiwara factory in Toyota City.

If Expeditions7 can take this around the world I don't know why I wouldn't be able to either.

78-land-cruiser

78 SERIES LAND CRUISERS

VEHICLE SPECS

• LX Package: power locks and windows, carpet
  • 4.5-liter turbo-diesel V8
  • 5-speed manual transmission
  • Air intake snorkel
  • Air conditioning
  • Dual airbags and side impact protection
  • High country pack (front and rear differential locks)
  • Factory sub tank with twin fuel gages, 48 gallon (180 liter) total capacity
  • Twin bucket seats with center console
  • Espar heater

There were at least 6 lined up the day that I picked mine up. A few were white. As far as I know there is one other in Tokyo. Most have been sold up north according to my dealer. There may be other importers, but even using Japanese to search I have only found two others and both seemed dubious based their websites and the one visit that I did last year.

I've had it in the mountains and it runs just fine. I tend to engine brake on my motorcycle and have done a little with the truck. But since its so new, I don't want to push it too much. I've already got about 1000 kilometers on the OD. For a V8 the engine seems small, but with the turbo it's fine right now. Although I haven't added much weight. My boxes/sleeping platform is almost the same as Expedition7 and I'm using 18mm Baltic Birch Plywood. When I get it Raptor lined I'll take some photos. I tried to get some info on the Expeditions7 build but no one seemed to know or want to answer questions. I was able to find a few build photos on AT Overland's website. That helped with the dimensions, once I actually measured the inside of the cargo area.

Very nice. Reminds me of this diesel ambulance I saw a few weeks ago.

Just curious why you didn’t just go right hand drive since you are in Japan? Is that model just generally not available there?
225FD7C2-5CFC-41EF-9805-608D4D73677E.jpeg

Very nice. Reminds me of this diesel ambulance I saw a few weeks ago.

Just curious why you didn’t just go right hand drive since you are in Japan? Is that model just generally not available there?View attachment 2118785
Japan only locally sold 70's up to about 2004, then 30th anniversary edition in 2015 model year and that's it(an to my knowledge the troop carrier was never an option here). Everything else has to be imported. Luckily for Japan residents, they don't have impossibly importation laws like USA does... Ive seen a few troopies here with RHD (likely from Australia)

I tried to get one imported from Australia, but my dealer said that it would too expensive. There are some older 78s that I have seen online here that are RHD. I don't know where they were imported or if they were imported. All new ones are only LHD. Which after having driven mine, it's not a problem. I told my wife that it actually feels like I'm driving in the middle of the lane. But that may be due to having driven since I was 13 and having done so until I was 31 years old. I've been driving in Japan since 2007 so I've gotten used to the LHS of the roads here.

Expeditions7 is RHD and think it's because it was imported from Japan to NZ and then shipped to the US.

The ambulance and the truck appear to be the 1HZ or maybe even petrol based on the hoods.

I tried to get one imported from Australia, but my dealer said that it would too expensive. There are some older 78s that I have seen online here that are RHD. I don't know where they were imported or if they were imported. All new ones are only LHD. Which after having driven mine, it's not a problem. I told my wife that it actually feels like I'm driving in the middle of the lane. But that may be due to having driven since I was 13 and having done so until I was 31 years old. I've been driving in Japan since 2007 so I've gotten used to the LHS of the roads here.

Expeditions7 is RHD and think it's because it was imported from Japan to NZ and then shipped to the US.

The ambulance and the truck appear to be the 1HZ or maybe even petrol based on the hoods.

They are diesel. Not sure what flavor engine. Some of the 79 pickups in that same location are the V8 diesels.

Congratulations , can't get much better then a LHD V8 diesel troopy .

Oh hell yes, now we're talking. Thanks for posting pics of this great looking Troopy. Man, what I'd give to have a brand new one. I'm sure the "give" would be some serious dollars. Looking forward to following your build on this truck.

Stock wheels?

Mabrook, Don. Looking forward to seeing you put the Troopy to work in Japan - it was certainly a country that captured our hearts when we visited a couple of years ago.

Enjoy the build agndcan't wait to see it evolve.

Funny how that model is made in Japan but you have to import them back. That troopy is pretty nice!

I'll get some photos of the interior and the sleeping platform this weekend. I just ordered the lock-out slides for the drawers.

Thanks for everyone's comments. All I can say is that it puts a huge smile on my face every time I look it or drive it. I played around with the various 4x4 gears yesterday. Even in 2 wheel drive it can climb up or down a hill so effortlessly. In 4L it really crawls and I have Diff locks.

As for wheels and tires I'm thinking Jaos Victron Tribe and KM3s.

Found a rear seat via auction that came out of a 76 so hopefully there won't be any problems fitting it.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 7.55.00 AM.png

I'll try to update as the build progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom