Softer Ride FZJ80 Daily Driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you Jroc561,

You hit the nail on the head, Usually guy want to lift an 80 and fit bigger tiers.

I look high and low for a comfort thread or a stock height comfort suspension kit but could not find anything. so I started this thread to pick the brains of the community to achieve my goal.

The consensus up to this point are :

1- Chang old OEM rubbers with new OEM rubbers.
2- Try loading the suspension by adding wight.
3- Look into larger/softer tires.
4- Try lower tire psi in good weather/winter.
5- This might be as good as it gets. and a softer ride is not possible.

I tried 275/70R16 Michelin ones and they where horrible, I had to change them after one week because the truck was not stable. I veered right and left on the road. as soon as went back to the dunlops the veering stooped.

PS: We do not have a BFGoodrich dealer where I live.

For a bad back you might look into a seat swap that would have better cushioning, positioning and support.

Hi Guys,

I think that I will try the DOBINSONS C59-221V & C59-210V ,

C59-221V are available but C59-210V are sold out ,

Does anyone know where to find the C59-210V online?
Do you think DOBINSONS may restock them?

Hi Guys,

I think that I will try the DOBINSONS C59-221V & C59-210V ,

C59-221V are available but C59-210V are sold out ,

Does anyone know where to find the C59-210V online?
Do you think DOBINSONS may restock them?
They're due here in the USA in 1-2 weeks.

Dear crikeymike ,

Are DOBINSONS C59-221V & C59-210V softer than the stock springs?

I have a AWD VXR 1997 with a factory winch, I have removed the third raw seats and one spare tire, and I do not use the reserve tank.

Is the ride going to be less jarring?

I'm not familiar with the model you've got, but if you've got an empty reserve tank, that would be a decent way to add some extra weight (fill it up)... I'll second the seat option too. My stock seat is as hard as a race seat at this point, and transmits every bump in the road. It's the only thing I don't like about my truck, and is at the top of the to-do list.

Thank you Greenbriar,

I do think that my seat are very hard and transmits every bump in the road ,

The problem is that I had the seats recovered in vinyl about 6 months ago, and they are 6 way seats.

because of that, I will try to diy changing the foam of the seats to a softer foam, If that does not work I will look for softer seats.

You might consider that.

Hi guy,

Since the wither is nice, I tried and reduced the tire pressure from the OEM recommended 32 PSI to 25 PSI , and the ride got much nicer.

Do you think that 25 PSI is safe or should I increase the pressure?

I read that the tire temp should not increase by more than 10% after a 30 min highway driving, I ordered a TMPS with temp readings so I will check, But is this good information?

PS: I drive 95% of the time in a city and the longest highway I take is about 25 miles (40 KM) driving at a max of 70 MPH (120 KM/H) , I plan on filling the tires back up to 32 PSI if I am taking any longer highways.

Much appreciated

Doso

25psi is getting pretty low.

I run at 30psi which most people would consider to be low.
25psi is what I would run if intending to do a lot of gravel or forestry roads.

At 25psi, you'll start to find your steering will feel a little vague at higher speeds as the sidewalls will deflect before the tires start to point you where you want to go

Thank you mudgudgeon,

Since I always run my tires @ 32 PSI,

I wanted to see if I would feel a noticeable change in the ride. And I did!

I am planing to test the truck @ 28 & 30 PSI to see the change in ride comfort.

I hope that @ 30 PSI I find the best compromise between comfort and handling. because it seems as a reasonable drop in tire pressure.

Thank you mudgudgeon,

Since I always run my tires @ 32 PSI,

I wanted to see if I would feel a noticeable change in the ride. And I did!

I am planing to test the truck @ 28 & 30 PSI to see the change in ride comfort.

I hope that @ 30 PSI I find the best compromise between comfort and handling. because it seems as a reasonable drop in tire pressure.
30 to 32 psi feels nice and straight /stable on pavements, but on bumpy or rocky road it will feel jittery and stiff like most solid axle

Thank you John,

I will try 30 PSI, But I do not think this will give me the soft ride I am looking for.

I should look for a solution for the harsh ride elsewhere.

Keep it stock. Mine has stock suspension and 35.5” tires. Never rubs and rides smooth as silk.

F55C5865-5C5E-4D05-A17A-A94624E17D2F.jpeg

Thank you auttiman,

My truck was stock with dunlop 275/70R16 tires and the ride was hard as a rock, I had a rigged motorcycle and it rides almost the same

especially in the front suspension , I changed the shocks to Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable Shocks & it is bearable now (much nicer), I am

looking for a better ride quality since I use the truck 100% on road.

I think my harsh ride is because of hard seats ,old rubbers, OEM AWD specs ( I've tested many fj80s and all of them had better & softer

suspension).

PS: the truck was harsh since new back in 97 and it is an all wheel drive and can not be shifted to 2 wheel drive without taking the drive shaft out.

PS: the truck was harsh since new back in 97 and it is an all wheel drive and can not be shifted to 2 wheel drive without taking the drive shaft out.
I have AWD only. I’m not sure why anyone would want to change to part-time 4WD or 2WD but I doubt it would effect the softness of the suspension.

Thank you auttiman,

To clarify, I do not intend on removing the drive shaft to make it a 2WD .

I mentioned it because I am not familiar with the US spec truck . Mine is a GCC spec truck.

But I remember driving and being a passenger in multiple GCC spec 2WD FJ80 and FZJ80 back in the day and non of them were harsh,

I thought maybe the springs/shocks are different between a 2WD & AWD models witch may explain my harsh suspension.

I asked some of locals that had/have an fj80 and they say that it is the dunlop tires that make the ride harsh. and they do not use dunlop
because of that but all of them had a 2WD model.

Tires could make a big difference, I dont really have experience with these. But if you ever drove a sports car with run flats and then just normal rubber you learn how different the ride could be with such a seamlessly small thing.

Thank you Jroc561,

I do agree,

I asked around and the locals say that dunlop tires are harsh but last for about 6-7 years. I change my tire every 4 years for safety.

The people how run dunlops say that the truck becomes rattly because of them (bolts loosen because of the vibration).

They say that the best tires for a FZJ80 on the local roads are Yokohama they are softer and less noisy but last only 5 years which is OK

by me.

PS: Unfortunately we do not have a BFG dealer (they are one of the best).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom