40 series 5 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Impressive indeed. :clap: :clap:

My guess is 5 people actually have the money to buy one when it becomes available and the rest will complain it’s too expensive... even though it’s pretty much one of the holiest of grails in the LC world.

:lol:
...pretty much spot on.

That’s what kept us from moving forward.

Impressive indeed. :clap: :clap:

My guess is 5 people actually have the money to buy one when it becomes available and the rest will complain it’s too expensive... even though it’s pretty much one of the holiest of grails in the LC world.

:lol:

You very well might be right. But not sure if he would go the next step of production for just five covers. Not sure what the minimum would be to may it worth his while. The idea of making a larger run then sell them as people want would be just too expensive. He was able to making to this point without having any potential buyers front any cash. Doing a larger run to reduce cost per item may work for smaller items like a lens or switch knob but certainly not for something like. If this project stalls and ends dying seriously doubt anyone else would try again.

Guess I have a real OCD problem. Also live by any job worth should be done right or not at all. Which is my H55F will not go in until I have all the right parts. Sure anything can be made to work but just playing around with a 4/85-7/87 60 series shift cane in a 40 I can imagine moving it back further then bending the cane up and towards the center. With it just about straight up would feel like I was driving a sixties five ton truck again. Angle down would look better but would be awkward to shift.

Last edited:
Very interested...

I'm sure I'd be one of the 5, as long as the product was well-tested.

A top cover for existing H55F is fantastic. Kudos to the OP. I thought it was a whole setup. This makes it much easier to accomplish. Im probably in. Id buy a new H55F and purchase this cover even if it's pretty pricey if it saves a bunch of positioning modifications, time and expense. As I said, getting this gearbox in my truck is worth dealing with issues like parking brake and if disk on split case is the way to go I'm there.
As for experience, I replaced the A440F slushbox in my FH62 with a new H55F in my garage without the help on any threads on MUD. Im sure others might have done it but no one ran a thread. My ~2004 thread turns up in the search.
It would be a very useful sticky for someone to post the nuisances of putting the H55F in the various year trucks and you can't blame me for goading a fabricator- vendor into doing it. Add it is I'll probably source my parts from Georg who will have the knowledge on what it takes on a 77 year model FJ40.

A top cover for existing H55F is fantastic. Kudos to the OP. I thought it was a whole setup. This makes it much easier to accomplish. Im probably in. Id buy a new H55F and purchase this cover even if it's pretty pricey if it saves a bunch of positioning modifications, time and expense. As I said, getting this gearbox in my truck is worth dealing with issues like parking brake and if disk on split case is the way to go I'm there.
As for experience, I replaced the A440F slushbox in my FH62 with a new H55F in my garage without the help on any threads on MUD. Im sure others might have done it but no one ran a thread. My ~2004 thread turns up in the search.
It would be a very useful sticky for someone to post the nuisances of putting the H55F in the various year trucks and you can't blame me for goading a fabricator- vendor into doing it. Add it is I'll probably source my parts from Georg who will have the knowledge on what it takes on a 77 year model FJ40.

Be sure to copy me on your final analysis....being that I have a '77 as well. ;)

I would like a definitive answer about the transmission access cover. On a late model FJ40.(gas tank underneath) With a H55F that has the 40 series top. Will the original access cover work or do you need a different one? I'm not interested in what you did on an early model or an "H" whatever. FJ40/H55F with 40 series top. What transmission access panel do I need?

I would like a definitive answer about the transmission access cover. On a late model FJ40.(gas tank underneath) With a H55F that has the 40 series top. Will the original access cover work or do you need a different one? I'm not interested in what you did on an early model or an "H" whatever. FJ40/H55F with 40 series top. What transmission access panel do I need?

What year is your 40?....For 1983/84 there's no clearance issues, on pre 1983 back to 1979 some work is needed thought nothing that can't be overcome by mixing & matching trans mounts & cross members

Last edited:
What year is your 40?....For 1983/84 there no clearance issues, on post 1983 to 1979 some work is needed thought nothing that can't be overcome by mixing & matching trans mounts & cross members
My 40 is a May of 80

My 40 is a May of 80

Ok, it's doable with minimal mods, pic & info below.

I still have a few of these fiberglass covers available for added clearance.
cover.jpg

@tstepp920

k gents, transmission is in. Had to do MINIMAL cutting, and it appears I will be able to use my stock inspection cover (without hump). The key is the transmission mounts. "F" transmission mounts are a bit shorter than the "H" mounts and yield just enough clearance to be able to reuse a pre 10/82 transmission hump inspection plate. One minor cut must be made. Please see pictures.

Of course, the inspection cover holes for both shifters must be "moved" back about 3", but that really isn't too cosmic.

IMG_20180914_171941.jpg

IMG_20180914_171955.jpg

IMG_20180914_172004.jpg

IMG_20180914_172011.jpg

IMG_20180914_172054.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom