Love this new mat in my ‘82 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shout out to @Racer65 for making another great product when OEM is unobtanium. Installed this new front mat today along with some heat shield/noise reduction padding.

F9612909-FF51-4ACC-868C-B88B2EE09EF7.jpeg

78259DAA-5880-4A3A-B3ED-31B1C6129625.jpeg

1C4A74F7-8922-44AC-AEDD-34338C2A6575.jpeg

Hijack: mcSavage, I see you’ve got a Clardy AC unit. Mine came with one too, but it’s not currently operational. Did you have to work on yours at all? I have the engine bay components all sorted out but I haven’t torn into the in-cab unit yet. I need to repair/replace one of the louvered vents. I’m hoping you’ve already searched for compatible parts and can share some info. I really like that Clardy kept the factory heater, so I’m wanting to resurrect this unit if possible.

I've been slipping guess I missed when this became available. Been waiting for quite a while.Nice

Nice. I'm thinking about getting one of these for my '76.

Question: how does it fit around the shift levers? It looks to me like it fits nicely around the boot for transmission shifter. I assume it tucks into the accordions of the boot? But how is it supposed to fit around transfer case shift lever? Could you unbolt your boot, slip it under, and bolt it back down to remove the gap? Or is that how it's supposed to fit?

Looks great regardless!

Question: how does it fit around the shift levers? It looks to me like it fits nicely around the boot for transmission shifter. I assume it tucks into the accordions of the boot? But how is it supposed to fit around transfer case shift lever? Could you unbolt your boot, slip it under, and bolt it back down to remove the gap? Or is that how it's supposed to fit?

Looks great regardless!

76 would the other version of floor mat sold. Really can't compare one to the other because the tub had a major floor change 1/79.

Yeah, good point. I know the tubs are totally different.

Looking at pics on Racer65's site for the older style trans tunnels, it looks like the gap around the transfer case shift lever is expected. I guess since the mats come without the holes cut out, I guess I could always just cut the holes a little under-sized, and slip the mat under the shift boot trim to eliminate the gap.

Hijack: mcSavage, I see you’ve got a Clardy AC unit. Mine came with one too, but it’s not currently operational. Did you have to work on yours at all? I have the engine bay components all sorted out but I haven’t torn into the in-cab unit yet. I need to repair/replace one of the louvered vents. I’m hoping you’ve already searched for compatible parts and can share some info. I really like that Clardy kept the factory heater,
so I’m wanting to resurrect this unit if possible.

Really sorry for the delay @firefighterjed. I had ACC here in Atlanta replace the compressor with a new one from Vintage Air. The old blower still works fine surprisingly. I need to start digging around for some of the vents as well so please let me know if you find a source for replacements.

C29D82C6-69AE-4EA0-A47E-424C76209C78.jpeg

AD3EE843-0575-4443-B4F6-7AABFE76A9F0.jpeg

Looks great regardless!

I was hoping I could tuck the new mat under the transfer case lever boot plate. But it will not work without cutting the hole bigger or cutting holes for the bolts. Since @Racer65 copied the original mat perfectly I decided to leave it as is. It’s a pretty loose fit in that area to say the least. You are correct it does fit nicely under the accordion boot on the shifter

I am still trying to get the passenger side to lay down. I took the heat/sound padding out thinking it might be the problem. That didn’t help though. The big wrinkle you point out is still riding high. I let it sit in the sun a few hours as well, but that didn’t work either. I’m not sure what do to try next. The mat is made of good material and looks really nice. I just can’t get it to lay out. Any thoughts @Racer65?

I am still trying to get the passenger side to lay down. I took the heat/sound padding out thinking it might be the problem. That didn’t help though. The big wrinkle you point out is still riding high. I let it sit in the sun a few hours as well, but that didn’t work either. I’m not sure what do to try next. The mat is made of good material and looks really nice. I just can’t get it to lay out. Any thoughts @Racer65?
It probably just needs more time in the sun on a hot day. I fitted one this past weekend and it looked pretty good.
The right side of the mat does have a looser fit because it needs to accommodate the heater lines on that side. Does your car not have heater hoses?

Last edited:
I think I’ll try my heat gun on a low setting as well. No my truck doesn’t have the rear heater. Overall I’m very happy with the mat for anyone who reads this and is trying to decide on a purchase. My thoughts are that it’s a floor mat, not a floor covering like upholstery, so it will not be a perfect fit and cover for the tub. Thanks for your help @Racer65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom