Braking Vibe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright mud fans, this one is driving me bananas. Thoughts, plans, heckling, etc welcome. I've got a vibe when braking from 45-50mph+, non-existent under 30mph or when cold out (like below 45* F), more of a hopping shake that rattles the dash than a brake pulse.

Background on the rig: 1991 FJ80 3FE/A440F/HF2A, 205k miles

OME 2860 2.5 medium's in the rear
Metal Tech 2.0 spacers in the front
Home brew winch bumper/ 13k winch
TG sliders
Stock front springs and I'm pretty sure circa 1991 stock shocks

*NEW* FZJ80 calipers, rotors and pads, passenger brake line that was cracking, also installed TG spindle nuts for more exact wheel bearing torque and have no 12-6 or 3-9 o'clock movement. Jacked it up, took the tires off and let it hang at full droop and shook everything in the steering, panhard bar etc, nothing was blatantly loose or really had any play.
I have OME 2861s arriving tomorrow for the front as well as an entire set of Pro Comp ES9000 shocks and steering stabilizer (I know, I know OME, TJM etc are better). Tires are freshly balanced 255/75/17 BFG KM1 Rubi takeoffs.

It had this vibe when I bought it, figured it was just pads/rotors, 2 sets later and several hundred $$$ in other parts and it's the same as ever, maybe even a little worse, talk about steps backwards lol. Anyway, fire away!

What brake pads and rotors did you install?

I have installed O'Reillys cheap pads and I get a lot of similar issues until I run them hot. Next morning they do it again.

I'm going back to Powerstop pads and rotors.

Bfg km1s the mud terrains? How old are they, they haven’t made those in years, could just be your tires, I’ve experienced it with bfg all terrains on my tacoma

What brake pads and rotors did you install?

Just off the shelf NAPA stuff for the pads, rotors and calipers. Generally pretty decent stuff

Bfg km1s the mud terrains? How old are they, they haven’t made those in years, could just be your tires, I’ve experienced it with bfg all terrains on my tacoma

DOT date is late 2015, so not all that old, and no funky wear or anything. The vibe was also there before putting the km1s on

Last edited:
Rear brake proportion adjusted? Maybe rear brakes are not doing the proper share of braking?

Rear brake proportion adjusted? Maybe rear brakes are not doing the proper share of braking?

I also had that thought, if the springs and shocks dont fix it (which I dont honestly have high hopes on) then I think I'll be looking at the proportioning valve/ master cylinder next.

Problem found. Its something in the rear drum brakes. Took them apart, cleaned and adjusted and the vibe goes away. Doesnt seem to want to stay in adjustment though so new drums, shoes and wheel cylinders are en route.

Problem found. Its something in the rear drum brakes. Took them apart, cleaned and adjusted and the vibe goes away. Doesnt seem to want to stay in adjustment though so new drums, shoes and wheel cylinders are en route.
If it doesn't stay in adjustment then you probably need a hardware kit as well. One that has the springs and levers and adjusters etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom