Builds Portland Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I needed a place to keep my hi-lift jack. Originally it was going to be mounted on the rear bumper but I just couldn't figure out another spot for it. Besides, I'm using the back doors a LOT and didn't want to add more weight on the open and close. At some point the truck may get sliders and I might try to incorporate a spot on the slider and mount it on the side like you see on a 40.

In the meantime, Josh fabbed a custom mount for the front bumper. I like the eye bolt. Might come in handy to tie something or someone up to. I will be putting that sock thing on to protect it from the elements. The jack should be accessible when I drive into a ditch. The only thing I don't like about it is the poser factor which is not what I'm after.View attachment 2104085View attachment 2104086

I’d be interested is a set of mounts like this.

I’d be interested is a set of mounts like this.
I'll ask Josh if he will make you a set and what the cost will be. They use the existing holes on the top of the ARB bar and would be pretty easy to ship. One of the things I like about Josh is that given a little amount of time he comes up with really simple solutions.

I'll come back to you.

The Troopy has been in the capable hands of Josh Harper at Willamette Blvd Auto in Portland since Tuesday. I dropped off some oil today and checked in on the progress. There's a laundry list of things to do but I want to update with a few photo's.

A few weeks ago I bought front recovery points from Rob Smith at Odd Iron Off Road Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles Thanks to John Lockwood for the lead at Odd Iron. I found Rob easy to deal with and he shipped promptly.

Attached are some pics of the recovery points. They are definitely beefy and well built. They are made to work with the ARB bumper and don't interfere with the jack points on the bumper. One thing that we did discover though is that the left side point needed modification as there wasn't room to mount it with the larger gearing on the 12K lb winch. It was a process that can be explained as needed but suffice it to say that Josh figured it out without sacrificing the integrity of the recovery point. View attachment 2104063View attachment 2104064View attachment 2104065
I sent this link to Rob and he would very much like to discuss it.

Running out of room on the dash for switches so the heated seat switches are mounted on either side of the dash. I "love" the Scheel seats and having them heated this winter should induce some sort of ecstatic feeling and we all know we want that........

The toggle switch above engages that part-time 4wd.
Seat Heater Switch.jpg

The Troopy is still in the shop for the various odds and ends work. That gave me an opportunity to get the 62 out this weekend for a little camping. I really love that thing.

My daughter has converted a Tri-Met bus into a camper. Super cool. A LOT of space.......

Bus.jpg

Bus 3.jpg

I sent this link to Rob and he would very much like to discuss it.
Don't want be a killjoy... but this is a rather dangerous place for a highlift jack. In a front end crash those eyebolts might snap and then the jack will come flying through the windshield.

While I have a tendency to agree with your generalized statement that bumper mounted hilift can be dangerous. I’ve seen shoddy hardware used before. These mounts do not look to be halfassed. I suspect the welds on the light tabs on the bumper would fail before the bolts.
Also, physics would dictate the jack would fly forward unless you happened to be reversing at a very high rate of speed.

Don't want be a killjoy... but this is a rather dangerous place for a highlift jack. In a front end crash those eyebolts might snap and then the jack will come flying through the windshield.
I not sure if you are addressing those concerns towards me but I was referring to recovery points, not high lift jacks.

Hi Paul. That's a good point and one that I hadn't thought of. Hopefully as mentioned the parts and pieces would fly forward. I think if I hit something hard enough to throw the jack backwards that I'd likely have other things to worry about as well. These things are probably not the safest vehicles on the road which may very well be related to the 25 year importation rule.

Good point though and I'm glad you made it. When I get sliders made I may relocate it to the side like you see on a 40. I simply ran out of places to put it at this point.

I need to get one of those insulators, but yikers at the $215 shipping quote.
List price from Toyota U.S. is $384.50. I did order some other parts and pieces that rode along with the hood liner. The liner was $154.61 plus $215.90 FedEx. $370.51 freight all in. Probably could get a discount from Toyota U.S. but in this age of amazon it is sure convenient to order from Partsouq. The hood liner and clips were a perfect fit and it was worth it to me.

Got out on Saturday for a little more crabbing on the Columbia River. We did pretty well I'd say. Around 75 or so.

The Troopy goes back to the shop on 11/13 for what will hopefully be the install of the water tank. This thing has really been a fight. I've relocated the fill neck on the tank so "hopefully" this is going to be it. Will be really nice to have running water!
crab.jpg
crab4.jpg

Dixie's wishing she was watching this sunset in Mexico or South America.
Lincon City.jpg

The seal on the Alucab top was cracking. I hadn't noticed it but intel came in from 60Toyetero (Lukas) that the design had changed. After noticing that the seal WAS cracking I emailed Rin at OK4WD and sent a pic. H
Tent Seal Old.jpg
Alucab seal 3.jpg
Alucab Seal.jpg
e was all over it and I had the new design seal in hand within a week. Great customer service! 60Toyetero suggests keeping the seal lubed with chain oil, etc. which I will do.

A few photo's

The first is of the old seal and the others are of the new. Lot's of rivets with the new seal. Hopefully a more durable design.

Last edited:
The seal on the Alucab top was cracking. I hadn't noticed it but intel came in from 60Toyetero that the design had changed. After noticing that the seal WAS cracking I emailed Rin at OK4WD and sent a pic and he was all over it and I had the new design seal in hand within a week. Great customer service!

A few photo's

The first is of the old seal and the others are of the new. Lot's of rivets with the new seal. Hopefully a more durable design. View attachment 2136270View attachment 2136271View attachment 2136272View attachment 2136273View attachment 2136270View attachment 2136271View attachment 2136272View attachment 2136273
Attachments won’t load for me, but interested in seeing the cracking and the different seal.

Attachments won’t load for me, but interested in seeing the cracking and the different seal.
Was updating with pics. Let me know if you don't see them.

After a few modifications the water tank is finally installed. This thing was fight for sure. It's mounted with 6 bolts through the truck body with fender washers. Pretty sure it's not going anywhere. The brake cable needed modification for the tank to be placed. The capacity of the tank is just over 25 gallons.

Now to get the water hooked up.......
Water Tank.jpg
Water Tank 2.jpg
water tank 3.jpg
water tank 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom