US spec 1997 FZJ80 Auto Transmission to H150F 5-speed manual conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

parker019

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for advice.

Thanks to @beno I have located a non-us market H150F (p/n 33030-6A420).

Next question - what other part numbers do I need to make this conversion (from US spec 1997 FZJ80 Auto Transmission to H150F 5 speed manual) ?

Thanks!

Thad

Last edited:
The title should read to convert to an H150F transmission. The part number I provided was for an H150F.

Flywheel: 13405-66030
Pilot Bearing: 90363-15017
Clutch disc: 31250-0W031
Clutch pressure plate: 31210-0W032
Pressure plate bolts: 90119-10205 (x8)

Clutch master: 31410-60550
Clutch master gasket: 31415-60020
Clutch slave already comes with new OEM transmission.

Then you will need a clutch pedal bucket and bracket, you will need the hard lines going from the clutch master to the clutch slave cylinder. The hard lines are discontinued. The pedal bucket and the bracket might still be available. And of course all of the little bits and pieces.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 13.21.44.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 13.22.25.png

Clutch Slave soft line: 96812-50205

Then you are going to need to get the center console parts (most of which are discontinued unfortunately):

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 13.24.15.png

The boot is available: 58808-60060-C0

Shift knob: 33504-60130-C0
Shift lever: 33530-60202
Shift lever boots for xfer/tranny at floor: 58280-60041
Floor bracket: 58123-60010

Cross member insulator: 12371-61050

Front and rear driveshafts should stay the same.

Then of course you will need to deal with the electrical portion of the conversion (NSS, and other bits and pieces of electrical fun). There are a number of threads that have already delineated this conversion if you search and you'll be able to find the necessary threads.

Of course then you have transfer case: are you going to keep the US market transfer case or are you going to go with the HF1A part time transfer case. You need to include that logic in your thought-process as well and the the changes to the front axle (manual hubs) to go to this set up. Your call. Either transfer case will mate to the H150F transmission.

All in I'd guesstimate $7-8K done correctly with new OEM parts not including labor.

Hope that helps.

Woah. A+, Beno-sama. THANK YOU for the dissertation.

Updated thread title to 'H150F'

This took me about 30 min to go through... and for my eyes to pop out @ the end price of parts alone. I didn't expect it to be cheap, but now I have to seriously think about this.

You are no longer in the parts sourcing business ?

I didn't expect it to be cheap, but now I have to seriously think about this.

You are no longer in the parts sourcing business ?

Some of these parts are available in the US market and some will need to be shipped in from overseas. You might be able to find some of these parts used from MUD classifieds or by folks bringing in non-US vehicles. Or from Oz in their used parts world. You might be able to reach out to someone like @cruiseroutfit and he might have Aisin versions of the clutch master or the clutch kit with disc/pilot/pressure plate, etc.

I actually might have some of these small bits and pieces sitting around. I'd have to look through 15 years of collecting parts.

And yes, I am no longer professionally in the parts sourcing business and have moved over to aerospace.

Why a 150 vs 151?

Lower 1st gear and the H151F is more difficult to find new OEM for petrol application.

Stolen from the Aussies who have been doing this stuff way longer than us...

Manual Gearbox; 5-speed manual the model designation is H150F.
The gear ratios are: 1st 4.529:1, 2nd 2.464:1, 3rd 1.49:1, 4th 1:1, 5th .881:1, reverse 4.313:1
Size, Spline OD & No. of Teeth 275 x 29.7 x 21

Manual Gearbox; 5-speed manual the model designation is H151F.
The gear ratios are: 1st 4.081:1, 2nd 2.294:1, 3rd 1.49:1, 4th 1:1, 5th .881:1, reverse 4.313:1
Size, Spline OD & No. of Teeth 300 x 32.4 x 14

Last edited:
would be cheaper/easier to sell your rig, buy a manual from another market and then ship it here

If you can find a stick shift rig go for it! Getting parts piecemeal shipped to the USA for foreign land cruisers is very expensive.

If you have deep pockets and decide to go for it I think you will find that the hardest parts is removing the dash to install the clutch and modifying the dash harness, after that it will be doing the floor board mods.

Good luck finding a my 1fz ECU and wiring diagram. That's going to be a pita.

If you can find a stick shift rig go for it! Getting parts piecemeal shipped to the USA for foreign land cruisers is very expensive.

If you have deep pockets and decide to go for it I think you will find that the hardest parts is removing the dash to install the clutch and modifying the dash harness, after that it will be doing the floor board mods.

Good luck finding a my 1fz ECU and wiring diagram. That's going to be a pita.

Patience and resourcefulness are key, even if you were to try and find or import a non-US spec rig. Since the thread starter is or has already purchased a new H150F I think it would be a safe assumption that cost is not a huge deal. Finding parts, even ECU's is straight forward.

Speaking from experience here, as I have a $1400 H151F in my garage right now and an ECU to boot.

2019-10-14 18.13.07.jpg

Last edited:
Patience and resourcefulness are key, even if you were to try and find or import a non-US spec rig. Since the thread starter is or has already purchased a new H150F I think it would be a safe assumption that cost is not a huge deal. Finding parts, even ECU's is straight forward.

Speaking from experience here, as I have a $1400 H151F in my garage right now and an ECU to boot.

I cant speak for a '93 truck, but i can tell you that the correct ECU for a '97 (which is what OP has) is EXTREMELY difficult to find. In fact, that will be the most difficult part to find (although it's not REQUIRED for the swap)

Also, $1400 for an H151 is quite low. I would expect a tranny like that to need some work, at that price.. :)

I never went for a used H series trans from overseas. I filled my gearbox with oil and it was ready to go, no b.s.. No need to pull it out and get it rebuilt by that trans shop that has never seen one before. I really want to take mine to the local toyota dealer and ask them to adjust my clutch and just play stupid with them and tell them I bought it from the corner used car lot. Wonder what they would say.

What I can say is the following. It is so nice that toyota's part system is not only driven by VIN's. So you can find the chassis code for the land cruiser you "want" and find which part numbers it contains. This with worldwide ebay, partsouq.com and others make getting parts easy. Dave at Japan 4x4 knows his s*** as well and can get his hands on lots of cool stuff also.

I have a obd1 1fz m/t ecu but had a hard time fidning a wiring diagram for it, I did find a pinout diagram that I believe to be correct but I never tried working with it.

Interesting note about the VIN driven systems. Ford does this, you could not get a drain plug without your vin number at a dealership. After a recent trip to Mexico where I discovered that the new Alum Ford Super Duty f350 comes with a stick shift I went to my local dealer trying to get the pedal assembly, because after all who would not love a super lux new f350 with the kickass suspession and brakes with an old school cummins 12 valve with a g56? The dealer did not seem to have the ability to filter trucks by type, market, configuration etc as we do with toyota.

Anyone on mud going to mexico soon?

I never went for a used H series trans from overseas. I filled my gearbox with oil and it was ready to go, no b.s.. No need to pull it out and get it rebuilt by that trans shop that has never seen one before. I really want to take mine to the local toyota dealer and ask them to adjust my clutch and just play stupid with them and tell them I bought it from the corner used car lot. Wonder what they would say.

What I can say is the following. It is so nice that toyota's part system is not only driven by VIN's. So you can find the chassis code for the land cruiser you "want" and find which part numbers it contains. This with worldwide ebay, partsouq.com and others make getting parts easy. Dave at Japan 4x4 knows his s*** as well and can get his hands on lots of cool stuff also.

I have a obd1 1fz m/t ecu but had a hard time fidning a wiring diagram for it, I did find a pinout diagram that I believe to be correct but I never tried working with it.

Interesting note about the VIN driven systems. Ford does this, you could not get a drain plug without your vin number at a dealership. After a recent trip to Mexico where I discovered that the new Alum Ford Super Duty f350 comes with a stick shift I went to my local dealer trying to get the pedal assembly, because after all who would not love a super lux new f350 with the kickass suspession and brakes with an old school cummins 12 valve with a g56? The dealer did not seem to have the ability to filter trucks by type, market, configuration etc as we do with toyota.

Anyone on mud going to mexico soon?

I happen to have a 1992 J80 EWD, in my stash of 80-series general market EWD's.
Anything particular you're looking for?

I have what I believe to be a OBD1 1FZFE M/T ECU that I scored from ebay australia. These are the pictures I have on file.

At one point I was just going to do a h151 swap and keep the 1FZ motor, but I really like the diesel efficiency. I never actually found a complete wiring diagram, just the pinout above.

Same as the one I have. I did notice the 3rd connector on the right when looking at it like you have pictured is a different physical connector than the A/T US spec rigs came with.

Unless you are, or are planning to be a resident of the Peoples' Republic of California
Us Texans call it Commiefornia, tell them not to come and ruin Texas.

Same as the one I have. I did notice the 3rd connector on the right when looking at it like you have pictured is a different physical connector than the A/T US spec rigs came with.
You can get the connectors from Toyota, there is this book of connectors, it will take some digging. Given the age of most 1FZ wiring harnesses you will be better off replacing it all together. I broke 1/2 the connectors on my harness.

Any way you go your going to have to do some wiring mods. You could get the engine harness and trans / t-case harness (matching set) that goes with the ECU above but then you will have to mess with those plugs that interface with the dash harness. Be warned that there are some small differences in that huge dash harness behind the dashboard. If you want your wiring to be just like a foreign stick shift truck then you will need to undo some splices and move a few wires around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom