Green synthetic Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease NLGI #2 in birfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep reading everyone set on grease with highest amount of moly for packing and Re-greasing the birfs. Factory states NLGI #2.

Green synthetic Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease is rated with NLGI #2. Has anything changed with these newer synthetic grease with the same required NLGI #2 ratings?

Lucas states that it is virtually waterproof and is more stable than all conventional lithium grease.

17097DFB-6A40-42A8-8AD6-F6DE90580BEC.jpeg

615B8AE3-0C75-47B8-9277-DD8BE1A09623.png

I’m not the grease expert but that the same NLGI / gc - lb label on both the back of my Valvoline Syn-power & my blue marine grease for the boat trailer & boat use, says super tacky, resists washout even in saltwater use.

The grease thread Chewbacca did should be a resource before you pull trigger, but that label alone is the same as my Syn-power that’s definitely on the approved birf grease list.

HTH

The Lucas above uses a Polyurea thickener, and generally that type of grease
is not compatible with Lithium based greases, which means you should clean
out all the old grease before adding a grease with a different base (ie: do the complete front axle service). It also does not appear to have any Molybdenum in it, and one of the reasons the Moly fortified grease is recommended by Toyota is that some of the Moly stays behind on the parts even if the grease level gets low, offering some protection.

Here's some light reading: (the image of the Palladium tube of grease reads 5% Moly, but that product appears to be unobtainium, the Palladium you can find at NAPA stores is still 3%).

Last edited:
NGLI rating has NOTHING to do with the additives in a particular grease. It is the thickness/consistency of the grease. NGLI 2 is the most common.
As the numbers go up, the thickness increases.
Toyota specifies NGLI 2 with moly. If you're north of the Arctic Circle, then use NGLI 1.

Thanks. Looks like I will need to stick with moly infused grease. Found some 2% moly and will give that a go.

The Valvoline Palladium is 3% moly and can be found at almost any auto parts store or Walmart or similar.

The Valvoline Palladium is 3% moly and can be found at almost any auto parts store or Walmart or similar.
Thanks. I stopped by the local Walmart and picked up some supertech lithium based moly grease. Found this details sheet on the super tech moly grease shows 1% moly content. Is that enough? They didn’t have any Valvoline or any other grease with moly.

02A2282B-041B-4495-8A1F-7FF2C3355634.png

NAPA stores carry the Valvoline Palladium. There are other high Moly content greases, they're just a bit harder to find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom