Events/Trails Cruisers on the Con - a short film by @jcardona1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past weekend a few of us local guys hit the Rubicon and it was quite the adventure. To keep this tech related, here is a list of the damage sustained:

- A few broken taillights, dents, scratches, etc. To be expected
- Snapped front brake line (3 link suspension)
- Hub studs sheared on rear axle
- Several blown beads
- And worst was a broken sector shaft on the Slabs that left us dead in the water

We would have been royally screwed with the broken steering box had it not been for the Garmin inReach one of our guys had. This nifty little satellite device allows you to send text messages anywhere in the world. We were able to locate a spare box and luckily found a great group of guys that were willing to pick up the box from east Sacramento and wheel it all the way in. Remember folks, always pay it forward on the trails 🙏

24 hours later we were back in business but still had a long way to go. Original plan was to start Friday morning and wheel Loon to Buck. Saturday would be Buck to Springs and a lazy day of hanging out. Then Springs to Tahoma on Sunday. However with the breakage we didn't leave Buck until 9pm Saturday night. Going through Big Sluice in the middle of the night was not something I wanted to do and it was hell of a challenge. Made it to the Springs about 1230am Sunday.

The next morning we left the Springs at about 11am. 3 of us left a bit ahead of the big group and made it to Observation Point in record time, just a little over 45 minutes. Last time I was there it took us about 4hrs due to traffic and breakage. The rest of the group that hung back blew another bead and shreared the hub studs on Cadillac Hill. But eventually we all made it out.

All in all it was an awesome trip with a great group of guys: @eurosonic @Phildoh @maxamillion2345 @BayArea80

Hope you guys enjoy the video. The GoPro footage looks awesome in 60FPS on 4K displays :cheers:

Last edited:
So much awesomeness. Thanks for sharing!!

Awesome video!

Random question - is there only one route or are there ways around some of the obstacles? For example the rock where the bead came loose on the right front tire, is that the only way through?

So much awesomeness. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks!

Awesome video!

Random question - is there only one route or are there ways around some of the obstacles? For example the rock where the bead came loose on the right front tire, is that the only way through?

Thanks! The Rubicon is very much a 'Choose-Your-Own-Adventure' type of trail but there are several very difficult sections you cannot bypass, Big Sluice for example in between Buck Island and Rubicon Springs. This particular spot where the bead popped - you probably had 3 lines to take. Off the left was the easier line. Further to the right is the gnarly path where it's a slide-n-grind all the way down.

I took the right line a few years back:

28470858961_ccf8cce09a_h.jpg

28470858051_e57023d0e5_b.jpg

28516365196_f37632a73e_h.jpg

I’m definitely gonna be making some changes to my armor after this trip.

I mangled my frame side lower link mounts on soupbowl. Need skids for trans/tcase. I somehow managed to hit my air tank.

I need to do something about my quarter panels too.

Hell of a good time though!

I’m definitely gonna be making some changes to my armor after this trip.

I mangled my frame side lower link mounts on soupbowl. Need skids for trans/tcase. I somehow managed to hit my air tank.

I need to do something about my quarter panels too.

Hell of a good time though!

I know my quarter panel armor isn't everybody's cup of tea but they sure do help! I only got a few paint scrapes on the rub rail. No dents, no broken taillights. It's nice not to have to worry about her wide rear end and have to be constantly looking in the rear-view mirror.

That was superb - thank you. Definitely one for the bucket list. Just got to ship from the U.K.....

Too rough for me. I would feel bad putting my Cruiser through that. Cool video though.

Excellent Thread I really enjoyed it

Wtf you guys bypasses little sluice? And even worse, bypassed old sluice? That's a crime - old sluice is the absolute best part of the trail

Thanks for the invite :(

Man I thought you didn't do the Rubicon no mo' because it was too boring, Hammers this and Backdoor that!

Wtf you guys bypasses little sluice? And even worse, bypassed old sluice? That's a crime - old sluice is the absolute best part of the trail

I don't know, I was just playing follow the leader. I don't think @eurosonic even knew he went around it. Lil Sluice is just like any other part of the trail IMO. Old Sluice is a different story though. I'm not messing around with that one - first I need to see video of another 80 in there and see what lines they take. This squeeze right here seems way too tight for the fat girl.

35729780915_fab3ebf8ad_h.jpg

Man I thought you didn't do the Rubicon no mo' because it was too boring, Hammers this and Backdoor that!

I don't know, I was just playing follow the leader. I don't think @eurosonic even knew he went around it. Lil Sluice is just like any other part of the trail IMO. Old Sluice is a different story though. I'm not messing around with that one - first I need to see video of another 80 in there and see what lines they take. This squeeze right here seems way too tight for the fat girl.

35729780915_fab3ebf8ad_h.jpg
It's not hard. You scrape a teeny bit on the roof if you're tall. Otherwise whatever. And the spot where your buddy is driving is not the line (see below)
VTXsN9g.jpg

Too rough for me. I would feel bad putting my Cruiser through that. Cool video though.

If you're careful and took your time you could probably make it through without a scratch. Bumpers sliders and undercarriage are a different story though. Rubicon is pretty epic, we're lucky to be 2-3hrs from the trailhead.

Then you have guys like Nuke - he likes to beat on it like a rented mule.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom