Help oil pumping into coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home the other day in my fzj80 and low oil light comes on, pressure good temps good, I look in the mirror to find smoke pouring out from my car. Engine still running sweet, shut down and inspect, oil all over exhaust, hence smoke, oil was coming from radiator overflow. After towing it home figured good chance its oil cooler so set about repairing it. Put it all back together, no difference still pumping oil into radiator.
Where can the problem be? I don't believe it is a head gasket as the oil feed to the head is well away from coolant galleries. Is it possible it is a problem in timing case where oil feeds across to rh side of engine? Is there any plugs that may fail? Help!!!
Seems to pump a lot of oil quickly into coolant, but oil pressure is still good?

Inspect the spark plugs and go from there.

Check your radiator for exhaust gases.

What color was the smoke?
White or blue?

Check your radiator for exhaust gases.

What color was the smoke?
White or blue?
I think the smoke was caused by oil burning on the exterior of the exhaust system.

Is it engine oil for sure or could it be transmission fluid?

Good point, transmission cooler line dumped on my exhaust in my 62 and made a smokey mess. Oil pouring out of the radiator overflow bottle just doesn't make sense to me 🤔

Thanks for the replies. Definitely engine oil not transmission fluid. Smoke from oil on exhaust.

So you have visble oil on the exhaust manifolds and not smoke coming from the tailpipe? Plus oil pumping out of your overflow?

Yes, oil on exhaust is from the radiator overflow it went everywhere. After I pulled up it dumped a pool in the road and I mean a significant quantity I had to clean up with several rags and absorbent.

If it's not the engine oil cooler it would just about have to be a head gasket or a cracked head/block. Did you remove the cooler from the cover when you had it apart? Did you pressure test the cooler?

Agree. If you are positive it is oil then has to be, cooler, head gasket or cracked head.

Had it all apart looked good. Unfortunately i had no way to pressure test
It is quite a substantial leak.

Anybody know if it is possible a corrosion hole has developed in the timing case from water pump housing to an oil line?

You said "repaired the oil cooler". Do you mean new o-rings and gaskets? If the heat exchanger itself busted/cracked it would pump full pressure oil into the coolant. Used to run into this a lot on heavy diesels. I looked them up when I did my overhaul, and they were crazy high (maybe around $1k?), so I'm guessing you didn't replace the exchanger? I'd look back at the cooler if it were me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom