Stihl M-Tronic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Generally I think the old timers avoid new tech just based on unfamiliarity and reluctance to try something different. If the old carb saw works well why mess with it.
Loggers dont like down time, they also dont like things that cant be fixed in the brush with a saw wrench, and a wedge for a hammer. Plugging your saw into your I phone while down slope in the rigging to get your saw running again is not something most guys I know are going to be capable of ;)

I am still running a Jonsered 70 with a soild state ignition conversion........ Its old simple, and has never failed to cut anything I put in front of it. Though I am not logging with it or cutting my annual heat supply with it ever year.

Last edited:
First of all...you actually found a 362 sitting on a shelf? I have not seen one in the wild and it's supposed to be stihl's best new saw.

I got a new saw for big timber last winter and I wanted to see the 362, it was a little smaller than I wanted, but I wanted to see it run. None anywhere. I would suggest that you let the dealer get it up to temp and put a load on it. Shut it down for 1 minute, then try and start it, if it fires up...pay the man. If it doesn't, look for something else.

I ended up getting a ms461 just because it may be stihl's best saw ever made. Still able to adjust it yourself and it's a proven workhorse. I cut a few huge fir's with it this summer and it put a grin on my face.

The 1st generation of “M-Tronic” came out in 2001 with the MS 280. It was called the IEM = Intelligent Engine Management system.
The next unit that came out with the technology was the MS 441 C-M.
The next unit was the MS 261 C-M.
The next unit was the MS 362 C-M.
The next unit was the MS 241 C-M.
The next unit was the MS 661 C-M.

The technology has made some changes, but it is in the “recalibration” procedure. It is covered in the instruction manual of each unit.
Dirty fuel and dirt air filters are the biggest challenge / problems with the units.
The “Diagnostic” tool is the MDG-1. It provides run times and fuel values. when it comes to “recalibrating” it resets it to factory. If you follow the instructions in your manual, it will calibrate the unit for your elevation, fuel, load (bar length), etc.

@D'Animal is there any concern about reliability?

Which one would you go with?

@snobdds the 362 can be found everywhere out here. It seems to be a pretty popular saw with everyone around here for firewood cutting.

The MS 462 came out in Feb of 2018.

Has the power of a MS 461 and the weight of a MS 362.

Any negative experience with the MS 362?

About 1/2 of my current use saws are the M-Tronic.

8D0772C3-AE69-46BA-8007-6EEE2F86CA60.jpeg

@D'Animal is there any concern about reliability?

Which one would you go with?

@snobdds the 362 can be found everywhere out here. It seems to be a pretty popular saw with everyone around here for firewood cutting.

I don't need another saw, already have 4 of them, but I want to see the new 500i with true EFI. That I can see as being a game changer. It's suppose to be out this winter.

One would have thought the big companies would have come out with wide ranges of direct fuel injection saws by now. Bummer...

I don't need another saw, already have 4 of them, but I want to see the new 500i with true EFI. That I can see as being a game changer. It's suppose to be out this winter.
Cutting performance the MS 500i is right between the MS 462 and MS 661.

I was chatting with the local Stihl shop yesterday and they said the 500i is set to arrive here locally Mar/Apr. List price is currently $1250ish.

I was up there looking at picking up a 462 when they filled me in on that, so for the extra $100 bill I can pick that bad boy up.

No decision has been made yet on which saw I'll buy.

That's a big bar for pine

No need to bend over all day to buck wood, with the longer bar I can stand up to buck wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom