Need advice on getting non-U.S. carb, dizzy, and coil working correctly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This will be a little long because I have no way to shorten it and have it make sense. Basically, I am wanting to know how to correctly wire in the non-U.S. Toyota coil, which was designed to work with the non-U.S. distributor, and non-U.S. carb, as the final part of what is an otherwise successful 2F desmog. I have searched all the desmog threads and not found the answer I need to get this car to be “right”.
Here is a shortened version of what has been done as far as the carb/dizzy/coil combo is concerned.
Starting point was a stock U.S. 1983 FJ60 with a 2F, which I have had for 19 years or so.
All of the normal desmog things were done, as generally discussed t in the desmog thread, leaving aside the carb, distributor, and coil, as a separate issue; the stock ones were all left in place when the desmog was originally done.
Local mechanic who did the desmog suggested I get a better condition/better carb to replace the original U.S. carb instead of rebuilding it yet again.
I bought an aftermarket carb, one which is generally well thought of here, and the car ran worse, no matter what was attempted to fix that. Dead end there.
I then bought a Non-U.S. Toyota carb from City Racer, original Toyota part, part # 21100-61012, (I think), and installed that. All my vacuum related starting and idling smoothness problems vanished. Plus, there was a small but noticeable increase in power.
In an effort to improve things even more, it was decided to complete the desmog by getting the Toyota non-U.S. distributor which is made to go with the non-U.S. carb, to get all the vacuum line arrangements lined up as ideally as possible.
Bought the non-U.S. Toyota distributor (#19100-61180) to match the carb, along with the non-U.S. coil (#90919-02015) which was made to match this distributor.
A different local mechanic installed this distributor/coil duo to replace the stock U.S. pair. He’s a “Porsche mechanic” and was not sure how to wire the coil in and asked me if I knew. Not something I would know, so he winged it and wired it in as will be shown in the photos to follow.

The result was that the car ran like a bat out of hell, started instantly hot or cold (a first, since that had always been either/or), and idled smoothly. Had never run this well in the 20 years I had owned it. Pulled hills in gears it had never been able to pull them in before. Absolutely power was up by at least 10%. It was great, the improvement was hard to believe. It was great, that is, for 5 weeks, then the coil literally exploded while driving at a steady, relaxed 50mph on the highway.

Same mechanic then reinstalled the original coil, without the ignitor, and then a brand new Toyota U.S. spec coil, with the same result for each. Both these coils burned up the points within 20 seconds of starting.
As a stop gap measure, he wired in a resistor (as seen in the photos) to drop the coil voltage to 9V. This cured the points burning up issue, runs okay, idles okay, but harder to start again, and power is way down; car is now smooth enough, but slower than it has ever been. It's been that way ever since, because no one here knows what to do next.

I can’t read a circuit diagram to save my life, and I can get no local help from mechanics about this. Small town. Pictures will show how this is wired up now, with the stock coil and resistor still in place, but without the stock ignitor being wired into the circuit, since the mechanic took it off and said it was not necessary since the distributor we were using had points. (I also note that the information on the City Racer site pertaining to this non U.S. distributor states: "Points provide timing signal to the stock ignitor without carrying electrical load for the coil, thus will last practically forever”.) So, was the mechanic, who could not originally figure out how to wire in the non-U.S. coil (which doesn’t have an ignitor, and was made to match the non-U.S distributor and carb combo), was he wrong to wire that coil the way shown here (minus the resistor), and that is why the “correct” coil exploded when it shouldn’t have?
And, then, trying to go back to the U.S. spec coil with this setup, is the reason that, wired the way it is, it burns the points up unless you put in a power killing resistor; is it because he took the ignitor off, which City Racer seems to think is either not necessary to do or even wrong to do?

I’d like to put the correct non-U.S. coil back into this setup, because it ran like gangbusters with that coil in there; beyond my wildest dreams level. For 5 weeks anyway. That’s the goal. The fact that the “correct” coil exploded, seems to me to indicate there was something incorrect with the way it was wired in or installed, but I have no idea. Seems like if those three pieces, coil, dizzy, and carb are all used together everywhere else in the world that the coils would not be exploding if installed correctly.
Short of putting a matched non-U.S coil back in, I’d be willing to try using the stock U.S. coil with this setup, as City Racer seems to think works well, if I could wire it up in such a way that we could get rid of the resistor, and get the power back which should come with 12V being applied to the coil instead of 9V like I have now.

Attached are photos of the way this is wired in now, and a written description of same. Any ideas from experts here as to if this wiring is incorrect, and how to correct it, would be greatly appreciated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Wire from loom (green snap connector) goes to the resistor. (Originally went to + input on coil).
*White wire from resistor goes to + pole of coil. This wire not there before resistor added.
*Other wire from loom, other green snap connector, goes to negative pole on coil.
*Third and final wire from loom passes through blue snap connector to the black cube which is attached to frame under the clamp which holds the coil in place, and passes through this cube exiting in another wire which passes through white snap connector to a wire ending in a circular electrical connector, which has been left unconnected by every mechanic who has worked on the car for the past several years, at least. (?) Where should this go?
*Second wire (is white) is attached to negative pole of coil. This goes to base of distributor, attached farthest from the vacuum line.
*Blue wire is wrapped around the white wire; is attached at one end to distributor closest to the vacuum line, and at the other end, grounded to the frame under the clamp holding the coil in place.

I feel like an idiot posting this, but have been dealing with it for over a year and a half, and the local mechanics, even the “factory trained” one, can’t figure out why the correct coil exploded, or why the U.S. spec one in there now needs a huge voltage drop to sort of work, so posting here seemed like my best bet.
Hope I can figure out how to load pictures, or this will make no sense at all. I'm new-ish here so will try using URL links to photo hosting service, since I don't yet have enough posts to allow direct posting.

Reactions: flx
Maybe you got a defective coil (that blew up). Try another one again.
The 2F Engine manual shows how the non-USA coil is hooked up and contains testing procedures.
Here's the non USA coil & distributor drawing.

The original USA distributor using the coil w igniter is the best system they had. I'd put it back in there.

When the 2F feels like it has a ton of power, usually something is wrong wiith the ignition system, either timing or spark. It should never feel like a rocket ship. That's an indication that something isn't right. It may "feel" good but likely is pre igniting inaudibly.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, I will take another look at the FSM, as I had missed some of this. I was told by someone else this morning that the original U.S. coil and ignitor worked fine with this distributor; not only that but you had to use the ignitor as it affected the dwell and would keep the coil from overheating. So I got the old ignitor (working when last used) out of parts and re-did the wiring coming from that, which the mechanic had chopped up in order to pull the ignitor out of the system. Installed the ignitor back on the coil and wired it exactly as it was originally, soldiered and crimped back together, excepting that the non U.S. distributor doesn't have the connector plug, so I attached the blue and white wires that the mechanic had run to the dizzy to the plug coming from the ignitor as best I could, using spades into the plug (temporary trial). So, should be exactly like original coil and ignitor, but attached to new distributor. Car won't start. So, bad to worse. Should have worked, I was told. Dunno.

Mechanic threw away my original distributor, so I can't put that back in there.

The igniter is only used with the electronic distributor (the original distributor). The original electronic distributor doesn't have points, it has a contactless magnetic Hall Effect pickup to signal when the rotor is at the correct spot to shoot a spark from the coil.

Since the magnetic pickup generates such a miniscule current from the magnet as its rotating, it can't, by itself, trigger the coil to shoot a spark. That's where the igniter comes into play. The igniter takes the signal from the signal rotor & generator and amplifies it (like a transformer) to a voltage and current level that the coil can use.

On the non USA distributors, the rubbing blocks (points) can carry enough current to trigger the coil directly. No igniter required.
Since the non USA distributors don't have a signal rotor or signal generator, the igniter is meaningless to use on those

Thanks for that. I am getting conflicting information, though. It was Roger at City Racer, who sells the non-U.S. distributor in the States, who emailed me with the following when I asked him if removing the ignitor from the circuit was a problem. "Yes, you have to use the igniter. An igniter is an amplifier, which provides stepped up voltage to the coil. If you try to supply such voltage directly from the distributor, it will burn up the points. On the other hand, if you drop the voltage with a resistor, then you won't have any power."

And, the alternative outcomes I had when using the U.S. coil (without the ignitor) with the non-U.S. points distributor were exactly that, burned up the points if not using an outboard resistor, and no power, harder to start, if using one.

I will pull everything out that I installed this morning and try another non-U.S coil I have here, wired as shown in fig 8-5 above.. It is part #90919-02015, as mentioned above. Rumored to have a different internal resistance than the U.S. coil, but I don't know. Looking at the diagram 8-5 you posted above, they have an external resistor attached to the coil, which we did not do earlier. Perhaps that is why it blew up. Would be nice to know what the resistance of that resistor is and if it matches what I have here.

Wired it up just now with the correct coil for this distributor exactly as shown in fig 8-5, and wired that way, including external resistance. That won't fire either. Going to put it back the way it was as shown in the original photos at the top of the page. Down on power that way, but at least it ran. Still open to suggestions, but I might need to find a suitable mechanic out of the area somewhere. Something not right no matter how I put this together, and I am not seeing it, obviously.
Thanks for the help so far, though. I appreciate it.

External resistor should be 1.3 to 1.5 ohms. It's in the manual.

image.jpeg

Reactions: flx
I'm wondering why you changed out from the original big cap distributor, and ignitor setup. seems like a step backwards.

I’ve had this particular FJ60 for approximately 20 years, second owner, and I can do some mechanical work and do it cleanly and well as long as I have clear instructions, but I’m no mechanic. The reason I went to the rest-of-the world distributor was as that I was advised to by the mechanic I was using at the time, who is an independent and the only one in town who claims to be “factory trained”. There have been quality issues with his work, I will leave it at that, but on the other hand there is really nobody here who is any better, and most are far worse.
That’s my biggest problem with what is mostly a trouble free car, no good local help, and electrical is the one thing I have never been able to do myself.

He started a partial desmog on the car about 5 years ago, which mostly was a benefit, with a small side helping of vacuum related issues, 3 steps forward, one step back. As outlined above, a couple of years ago I started having carb related driveability issues which were not resolved by a rebuild. A Trollhole carb was installed, and it got worse (not voicing an opinion on that carb, which people here like, just had issues in my setup, as done by my mechanic). Opportunity arose to get a new factory Toyota non-U.S. carb which isn’t compromised by all the Rube Goldberg vacuum line issues on U.S. models, so he put that in and, combined with the prior desmog things which had been done, the car ran better than it had ever run in the 20 years I had had it. So, no reason at that point to think we were not moving the right direction. Vacuum line wise the U.S. dizzy does not really match up with the non-U.S. carb as it wasn’t designed to, plus the dizzy was close to 40 years old with quarter of a million miles on it, so he suggested putting a new rest-of-the-world distributor in, while they were still available.

That’s the long answer to why I switched to the rest-of-the-world carb and dizzy setup, along with the correct coil for that distributor. Not saying it’s right, but that’s the reason.

Having said that, my personal experience, which is all I have to go by, doesn’t agree with the opinion that the U.S. setup is better. When this was working, before the coil exploded, there was absolutely no doubt that the car was better in every way, and it wasn’t subtle, and I drove it long enough that way to know it wasn’t a fluke. It started easier and much faster at any temperature. Idled smoother. More torque, more horsepower. Pulled hills better, and pulling the plugs revealed that they looked better than at any time I have ever had the car. Looked like how plugs look when fueling and ignition is perfect, to be honest. Better mileage by about ten percent. Zero downsides. I am not disputing anyone who thinks otherwise, because most or all here know more than I do about how to set these up, but my personal experience was really positive with the non-U.S. distributor setup. Until it wasn’t. But the overwhelmingly positive initial results with this combo are the reasons I am still pursuing that direction. That and the fact that the guy who installed this dizzy tossed the U.S. one, which limits my options. At this point I am just trying to do right by the car.

Given the fact that the mechanic who installed the dizzy and coil, was asking me how to wire it in, and asking me what the timing was, that’s the reason I suspect that the issue with the coil might have been down to the way he wired this up, instead of an inherent problem with the non-U.S. setup, which works perfectly well in other countries. That is why I posted pictures of the way he had it wired in.

I would prefer to hand the car to a mechanic who did these day in and day out and could do this right, but there’s none here (separate stories). I’d go pretty much wherever to get that done at this point, as I know my limitations and suspect there is some other electrical/timing/dwell/ god only knows issue that I don’t see.

Thanks, not out of the question at this point, even if it is a very long day away. Will check it out.

Forget all the talk of ignitors. There is a 75-77 ignitor that works with points, but it is not easy to find, and is not a plug-in solution.
The solid state ignitor used in 78-later Cruiser can't use the input of a points dissy.

Wire it up per the FSM diagram for either non-US setup: with 12V coil, or with 6V coil & ballast resistor. To get maximum benefit from a ballast resistor, it is also necessary to add a bypass relay to power the coil with full battery voltage while cranking.

Thanks! A bit above my pay grade, I need to take a look at my pdf of the FSM again and make sure I am following this. Are you saying that the ballast resistor is not used with the 12V coil? Only with a 6V coil? And, can I use the normal stock U.S. 12V coil, or does it have to be the 12V non-U.S. coil, part number as shown in the first post? Or either one of those would work? You can still get that part number non-U.S. coil here in the States as a Toyota tractor part, though not as a car part. (Assuming it is still the same coil.)
FSM isn’t where I can get to it right now, will check tomorrow.
Maybe there is enough here I can use to get a local-ish mechanic to sort this out. There has certainly been more information in this thread than any of my local guys, or myself, has been aware of before this, and I have been talking to them for a year and a half, so thanks for that.
They always just say “ I don’t know how to do this, it’s different. Why don’t you go to that forum and ask there.”

A non-U.S. setup can be seen here. It shows a 90919-02087 coil, and a 90919-04033 resistor. The resistor supersedes to 90919-04027, which can be found on eBay for $8. The coil doesn't appear to be available in the U.S., but not sure if it needs to be exactly that one.

Ignition Setup.png

For what it is worth, I placed an order with Megazip (where the parts diagram two posts above comes from) for the coil shown there and in their online catalog, 90919-02087. Order went through fine a couple of days ago, but got an email this morning saying that that coil is discontinued.
The coil which they have as still available is 90919-02168.
Both those coils are listed from non-U.S. sources as 2F, 3F coils. Listed as:
90919-02087 is “with anti-over run”
90919-02168 is “BAHRAINISLAND, KUWAIT, OMAN, QATAR AND UAE SPECIFICATION

I went ahead and ordered the Mid-East Spec one while I sort this out, since the one “with anti-over run” is NLA. Others here will understand the significance of having the anti-over run in this application better than I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom