Builds 1-HDT rebuild - late 2019 start (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you'll like the valve body, install is not too difficult...

Started pulling the engine. I think we have it pretty much ready to come out, other than the half-dozen things Im sure are still attached to the top of the transmission and transfer case.

My time is pretty much non-existent until December, so the rest of the extraction will need to wait a few weeks.

MVIMG_20191115_172714.jpg

MVIMG_20191117_105503.jpg

I bet you will bang your knees on that winch about a 100 times, maybe more

Yep took it out as an entire stupidly heavy unit. I think it was the best way to get the engine out and now I have access to the tranny and TC. I think the actual removal (everything disconnected) took maybe 30 minutes with 4 guys total working on it. I may get the TC rebuilt, lots of slop and rattles.

Waiting on some m12x1.25 threaded rod to get it on the stand. Looking at next weekend for disassembly. Can't wait to see what story that will tell.

MVIMG_20191207_173618.jpg

We got it mostly apart. No issues spotted so far, but I still need to give it a good look over when not in tear down mode.

Really wishing I had bumped the crank bolt off with the starter... Feel free to let loose those 'I told you so's. Got a big ass impact on the way and crossing fingers.

MVIMG_20191215_170249.jpg
MVIMG_20191215_170304.jpg
MVIMG_20191215_170331.jpg

Just a quick update, engine is all torn down and is now with the machinist. Hoping to hear back sometime next week on the condition of everything. Now its time to turn my attention to rebuilding the power steering pump and any parts that I can order without machinist measurements. Once the weather is nice I also plan on doing as much practical detail work as possible on the engine bay. Also finally got on the list for a wholesale valve body. Took some doing.

MVIMG_20200101_123742.jpg

I just ordered direct from Australia, the local guys were not knowledgable at the time...

I just ordered direct from Australia, the local guys were not knowledgable at the time...
I ordered directly from Rodney and installed myself cause I have a Gturbo. I am very happy with the way it shifts.

So just going over photos in the comfort of a warm house while its at the machinist. I was told #3 was the lowest on compression, and sure enough that combustion chamber is an oil slick. All the others are mostly dry. Guessing its bad valve seals/guides as everything in the block looked ok to me. Excited to hear what the machinist says when he pulls the head apart. Waiting is hard.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 9.22.16 PM.png

Dreading the day I've gotta do this. Kudos to you!

Got word from the machinist. As I suspected, the engine itself is pretty much perfect, but a few valve seals and 3 guides were shot. So this is good news and bad news I guess. There is no smoking gun as far as low compression goes. I never got a great feeling of confidence that the test performed by the mechanic was accurate, so theres that. I think I'll take a look at the old rings when the block comes back and see what the gap looks like. Pretty certain the valve work will fix the smoking, but that also means I probably could have gotten by with a head rebuild. Still no regrets, great having an in-depth knowledge of the engine and its condition, and its forcing me to fix a lot of other issues.

Here's the work going in to it:
Rebuild head, machine to flatness, replace 3 guides, grind valves, cut seats
Ball hone cylinders (they are all well within spec and almost perfectly circular)
Reuse pistons (read an article somewhere that the original Toyota pistons are pressure cast, but new are not, so this is OK with me)
Big end of rod out of spec, machine but keep at std. bearing size (gave an explanation on how it works, sounds magical to me)
Polish crank
Balance

In other news, they'll probably be building a new skyscraper in Dubai with all the parts Im buying.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.31.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.31.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.30.52 AM.png

Have you put figures to those options?

I spent $2k on parts to rebuild a HD-T (no machining done).
I later sold the same engine as a running rebuilder, condition unknown, and requiring IP rebuild or replacement for $2500. (full disclosure, IP issue caused the engine to runaway, RPM exceeding redline by a metric s***-tonne)
At the time used Japanese import HD-T were $7.5 - 8k, HD-FT were $8.5 - 10k AUD.

I could have done a full strip down / rebuild, send everything in for machining, head rebuild etc for well under the cost of a used replacement.

Late reply:

Oil Cooler - $500
Crankshaft - $1650
IP Rebuild - $2300
Injector Rebuild - $600
ISSPRO EGT and Boost Gauges - $400
Piston Kit - $1550
Oil Pump kit - $600
TB Kit with misc hoses and accessories - $500
OEM Connecting Rod - $350
GTurbo - $2250
Machinist labour - $800
Build labour - $3600

This was a conservative rebuild. There was a s***load of other stuff that caught up to me over the course of owning an 80 series, which ended up putting me at about $30k invested into the HDJ81 I bought for $10k.

I recently sold it for $15k, which I considered a home-run. Given that diesel is 30c more per litre where I live than regular gas, the cost of parts is insane, etc etc. I'm in the camp of gas V8 > diesel I6.

You really don't hear of 2UZFE failures. Any diesel tuner I spoke with always referred to Toyota diesels as glass motors. I never got excellent mileage out of my 1HD-T, it never made impressive power, but that could've been the result of the build. The builder timed the IP by ear/visual. When I bought the proper SST and checked it, it was retarded way below spec. Even when I dialed it in at 1.35, it smoked like mad, wasn't terribly powerful and was no more economical than my 100 series.

YMMV, but my conclusion is that there's a lot of hype around Toyota diesels that isn't necessarily warranted. I think it's quite telling that the ICON builds never use a diesel - and these are unlimited budget restos - the customers spending big bucks aren't interested, and Jonathan says the only people requesting diesels are the commentators on youtube.

I would give the 1HD another go, but only as a 1HD-FTE in a 100 series. Don't get me wrong, I think diesels are just as cool as the next guy, but having a lot of first hand experience has made me question whether it is warranted, practical and necessary.

But then again - I also bought an 80 thinking I was gonna do this crazy wheeling, when in reality my 100 will take me anywhere I'll ever want to go. Expectations vs reality.

Just a quick update, engine is all torn down and is now with the machinist. Hoping to hear back sometime next week on the condition of everything. Now its time to turn my attention to rebuilding the power steering pump and any parts that I can order without machinist measurements. Once the weather is nice I also plan on doing as much practical detail work as possible on the engine bay. Also finally got on the list for a wholesale valve body. Took some doing.

View attachment 2172193

I thought I was gonna have to be in the same boat as you to rebuild my engine.
Great Thread! definitely gonna follow this one for my enviable rebuild of my 1HD-T
I would see if the Machine shop will drill and tap the block for bigger head studs.
Research says thee oil pump is a good one to always swap out in a rebuild.

Keep up the good work!

Late reply:

Oil Cooler - $500
Crankshaft - $1650
IP Rebuild - $2300
Injector Rebuild - $600
ISSPRO EGT and Boost Gauges - $400
Piston Kit - $1550
Oil Pump kit - $600
TB Kit with misc hoses and accessories - $500
OEM Connecting Rod - $350
GTurbo - $2250
Machinist labour - $800
Build labour - $3600

This was a conservative rebuild. There was a s***load of other stuff that caught up to me over the course of owning an 80 series, which ended up putting me at about $30k invested into the HDJ81 I bought for $10k.

I recently sold it for $15k, which I considered a home-run. Given that diesel is 30c more per litre where I live than regular gas, the cost of parts is insane, etc etc. I'm in the camp of gas V8 > diesel I6.

You really don't hear of 2UZFE failures. Any diesel tuner I spoke with always referred to Toyota diesels as glass motors. I never got excellent mileage out of my 1HD-T, it never made impressive power, but that could've been the result of the build. The builder timed the IP by ear/visual. When I bought the proper SST and checked it, it was retarded way below spec. Even when I dialed it in at 1.35, it smoked like mad, wasn't terribly powerful and was no more economical than my 100 series.

YMMV, but my conclusion is that there's a lot of hype around Toyota diesels that isn't necessarily warranted. I think it's quite telling that the ICON builds never use a diesel - and these are unlimited budget restos - the customers spending big bucks aren't interested, and Jonathan says the only people requesting diesels are the commentators on youtube.

I would give the 1HD another go, but only as a 1HD-FTE in a 100 series. Don't get me wrong, I think diesels are just as cool as the next guy, but having a lot of first hand experience has made me question whether it is warranted, practical and necessary.

But then again - I also bought an 80 thinking I was gonna do this crazy wheeling, when in reality my 100 will take me anywhere I'll ever want to go. Expectations vs reality.

I can't completely disagree with your statement. I have had bad and good luck with both gassers and diesels from Toyota.
I think most people are asking things of these diesel's that they were never intended to do. like big turbos, more fuel, towing massive caravans doing 100kms up a grade, etc. They were built for work and good fuel economy, not excitement. well-kept stock diesel land cruiser are known to do 600,000kms before a rebuild. That is pretty dang good I don't see too many v8 Toyota motors that have been worked last 600,000kms.(to my knowledge)

2uz isn't perfect either and definitely has its problems and 12-8mpg kind of hurts the pocketbook if you are doing 10k miles a year at 3.80 a gallon. 1hd-t gets about 18mpg and 87 is the same price as diesel in my area at least. that means you are saving roughly 1800 dollars a year with a diesel.

The biggest reason they put gas engines in theses builds is because the rich people who buy them want performance and no hassle!

Glad to see the progress! Keep the thread updated. I have been getting paranoid about my crank after reading about crank failures on the early production engines. Thoughts?

@zipdoa If this doesn't turn out well theres a good chance I'll be hanging up my HDJ81 hat. But I've met others with 81's that don't emit toxic clouds, so I have hope.

Either way it'll be a great build or you can watch a guy throwing his money away.

@DancesWithMutts The ones I've heard of were a result of a BEB failure. Machinist says my crank looks great... 😬

Last edited:
@zipdoa If this doesn't turn out well theres a good chance I'll be hanging up my HDJ81 hat. But I've met others with 81's that don't emit toxic clouds, so I have hope.

Either way it'll be a great build or you can watch a guy throwing his money away.

@DancesWithMutts The ones I've heard of were a result of a BEB failure. Machinist says my crank looks great... 😬

I've had the same thought on more than one occasion.

Time for a little rant. It's been 6 months since I first contacted the US supplier for a Wholesale valve body, and still don't have any indication from them that I'll actually get one. Trying to bypass them to get one directly from Australia like @sailor mentioned. Im sure they won't be happy that I'm throwing them under the bus, but I'm at the end of my rope. Im also mentally preparing myself to live with a stock transmission in the case that Wholesale doesn't have any either. I know I can install one while the tranny is installed, but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

Still waiting on the machine shop for the engine. Trying not to get overly impatient. Only real update is I took inspiration from @lelandEOD and have been trying to learn tig for a stainless exhaust. Its all booger welds but Im pretty sure I can make something functional, and maybe make it look ok with more practice.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 8.19.37 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom