Post Your Blackstone Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Post your Blackstone Oil Sample report so others can see what to look for and what issues may come up.

This is my 4th oil report on my 96 Land Cruiser 1FZ-FE.
Looks like I'm seeing some sudden wear. I need to address this with a fresh air filter, as I have had NO work done on this engine and it is now seeing high AL and FE contaminants in the oil. This concerns me, as I had one round of oil change where I accidentally poured in thicker oil and I ended up with lots of oil leaks, so I don't know if I incurred an issue then or not. Unlikely, but :meh:.

My PO did the HG at 145K, so I monitor it to keep track of coolant and wear.

I just turned 288K this week.

Oh yeah:
Remove all your personal information from the report FIRST!

(But keep your oil info)

1623362363715.png

Last edited:
full

Haven't done my yearly oil change yet, but there's the one from last year.

Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40 (T5 semi-dino 15W40 the first round), 1995 HDJ81 with the HDFT, and its in KMs by the way...

full

Haven't done my yearly oil change yet, but there's the one from last year.

1995 HDJ81 with the HDFT by the way...
What oil are you running?

(Just edit your post)

Haven't done one in a while due to the engine rebuild. It'll be interesting to see the differences. FWIW I was running 20W-50 Castrol GTX, it's the only thing I found my engine wouldn't binge drink.

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 7.47.43 PM.png

first report is from PO (2015), second one (2020) is mine.
1591213997819.png

I had a water pump failure that led to radiator to blow temps spiked for a minute. This looks like a good bill of health but I am skeptical of gasket issues still. She still rotates by hand easily (for a 3FE). There was a typo in the report that should read WP failure at 270,000 miles.

1992 3FE-EFI Blackstone report.PNG

Here are the two reports I have had done on my truck. In the 2021 report it does not mention that my new oil is the Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 10W-30, it just says MaxLife. Just wanted to clarify that for those who are looking closely. The 2015 report on the same vehicle was done while I was using the MaxLife Synthetic Blend oil (part dino oil and part synthetic, but Valvoline does not disclose the ratio). I think my rear engine oil leak has slowed down a bit with the switch to full synthetic, but I could be wrong about that. It certainly hasn't gotten worse. I swear by Valvoline fluids.

96 LAND CRUISER 252K MILES - BLACKSTONE OIL ANALYSIS APRIL 2021 REDACTED.jpg

OIL ANALYSIS REPORT BLACKSTONE JUNE 2015 96 LANDCRUISER-061515 REDACTED.jpg

Thanks for the help @BILT4ME

Last edited:
Here are the two reports I have had done on my truck. In the 2021 report it does not mention that my new oil is the Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 10W-30, it just says MaxLife. Just wanted to clarify that for those who are looking closely. The 2015 report on the same vehicle was done while I was using the MaxLife Synthetic Blend oil (part dino oil and part synthetic, but Valvoline does not disclose the ratio). I think my rear engine oil leak has slowed down a bit with the switch to full synthetic, but I could be wrong about that. It certainly hasn't gotten worse. I swear by Valvoline fluids.
Cheers.
Something I just learned so we don't have to download the reports:

Open to your .pdf document
Go to the "Edit" tab
Select "Take A Snapshot"
Click in the upper left and drag to lower right and release.
Come to 'Mud
Select where in your post you want it and right click and select "paste".
It will place your document in full view in a .jpg format for everyone to see.

Most recent from blackstone attached.
4000 miles on 5w-40 Shell
Similar to my previous test, Cu was a bit high
Switched to Mobil 1 5w-40 turbo diesel truck oil this time
F3065BB1-D8F1-4DA8-98BE-567DE850AC3E.jpeg

I finally found my oil sample rolling around under the seats and sent it in. This sample was from more than a year ago, at 4/26/2020.

I will be sending another in in the next month or two. I currently have over 324K on it and I need to see where I am based on the history. I think I'm needing to start changing it more often, as I have had a LOT of higher speed driving on the open highway, and it looks like I might need to seriously start planning for a rebuild if I keep pushing this limit.

The higher numbers on AL, Fe, and Tn would indicate piston and possibly bearing wear starting to ramp up. What bothers me most is that I have put on another 26K miles since I last pulled a sample.

No water or coolant in the sample tells me the HG is in good shape, at least it was then.

1641596771851.png

I love Blackstone. What a great group; love the personalized report, too. While I haven’t used them on this truck, I’ve used them with other vehicles in the past and I’m always surprised with the lack of a canned response. Hats off.

I finally found my oil sample rolling around under the seats and sent it in. This sample was from more than a year ago, at 4/26/2020.

I will be sending another in in the next month or two. I currently have over 324K on it and I need to see where I am based on the history. I think I'm needing to start changing it more often, as I have had a LOT of higher speed driving on the open highway, and it looks like I might need to seriously start planning for a rebuild if I keep pushing this limit.

The higher numbers on AL, Fe, and Tn would indicate piston and possibly bearing wear starting to ramp up. What bothers me most is that I have put on another 26K miles since I last pulled a sample.

No water or coolant in the sample tells me the HG is in good shape, at least it was then.

View attachment 2887044
What happened in Aug 2019? Seemed like you had a spike in wear metals but it settled down. Was that due to maintenance/new parts break-in? I'm curious to see how your next sample compares to this most recent one.

This is the one from the black '96 that I had earlier in the year. The vehicle had done 1300 miles in the previous 5 years. Last oil change was about 13 months previously. Bought it unseen from an old lady who had been sheltering from the initial round of covid and then didn't like what she saw when opened the garage door a year later. The 1322 miles on the oil change was mostly from me driving it from Missouri to Orlando.

1641599640967.png

What happened in Aug 2019? Seemed like you had a spike in wear metals but it settled down. Was that due to maintenance/new parts break-in? I'm curious to see how your next sample compares to this most recent one.
The surprise report showed a very high silicon number which concerned me because that is "sand" in the oil.

It pointed out I had a tiny hole in my air filter. I replaced the filter and the numbers dropped right away.

That's why I then had a few samples done one after the other to monitor the issue.

I am curious now to see where it is today.

I have not pulled a sample in the last 26K miles. The last few oil changes I have had to add oil between changes, which I believe dilutes the results (literally and figuratively).

I have been using oil because I have been running higher speed roads (interstates with 75 MPH speed limits) and long steep hills that cause a hard downshift and pushing me into about 3600 RPM sustained for a mile or two at a time. I have found that as I exceed 3000 RPM, my oil use goes up quickly because I believe it is holding it on the top of the head longer and that causes the PCV valve to suck more out.

The AL and Fe may indicate piston wear from higher RPM as well.

I just need to slow the F down.

I have only ever done the blackstone thing when I buy a new truck - part of my baseline. Do you guys have a recommend frequency for taking further samples? To be honest I only ever read the words the dude writes, the numbers to me are meaningless. It is easy to see how one could get somewhat compulsive to requesting these reports - much like the aftermarket temp gauges we all have :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom