Andy's Taco build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been a while since I updated here, I figured since I was pretty much done with my crawler project I should post an update!

Summary:
Clutch
Flywheel
Rear main seal
New Tranny seals and shifter seats
Added Crawl box
Rebuilt driveshafts with all new ujoints
Later model tubular exhaust manifold
New cat
New o2 sensors
New muffler/tail pipe
Poly steering rack bushings
New internal steering rack guide
New seats
And I'm sure some other stuff I've forgotten!

Driveshafts back from the shop with all new joints (including the CV)
20190725_112553.jpg

Hole drilled for the extra shifter
20190727_154721.jpg

Front shifter modified (with bootyfab welds)
20190908_204727.jpg

All buttoned up - even installed the new seats I've had sitting around for 8 months or so!
20190908_214640.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go!
20190901_135354.jpg

My oldest son Adam really helped me with wrapping up the details. While I was working on the shifter last night, he cleaned/detailed the interior and removed the old seats. He is really getting into it lately!

Andy the truck looks spectacular! Nice and clean install!

Which drive shaft shop did you use? I'd like to take an old set I have and get them cleaned up and rebalance with all new joint including the double cardian (that I have been told before can't be done) I have a vibration in the front and I think it's the front shaft.

I used Hartman's in Reading.

They were NOT cheap, but they did a great job. Tried a few other places and they all said "we won't touch metric tubing".....

If I had to do it over again I would probably look more into the services that Davez Offroad offers.

See if you can find a Walker Quiet Flow that will fit. I put this on my 80 series and it's not quite OEM but close. Offset if you can make it work.

Reactions: caz
Looks good Andy!

Reactions: caz
Sometimes I get frustrated with maintaining an old truck! This week is one of those weeks.

My pinion seal has been weeping, but not too bad. I came out to the garage the other day and found a puddle underneath it!

I didn't feel any unusual play in the pinion, so I decided to do a booty-fab repair and just replace the seal.

Turns out that the seal was pretty crusty and looks like it could have rusted through! Hopefully problem solved and lots of happy miles to come.

Think I'm good to go for the monthly ride!

20200104_110252.jpg
20200104_111516.jpg

Think how fusterated you would be making truck payments!

I'm constantly having people tell me how I'm being "nickel and dimed to death" by my older vehicles - as they pay $1K+ a month for their new SUV...

Ha!

I had to chuckle at a neighbor the other day. He is LEASING a new F150 - nothing special, but a nice truck. He was telling me how it was a no-brainer. No maintenance other than gas and oil changes. He is leasing it for "only" $850/month!

I nearly fell over. My entire monthly budget for our 3 cars is about 2/3 of this - including gas, insurance and maintenance!

Wow, that is a crazy lease payments!

That said, it all depends on what you are looking at though. We are shopping for a used vehicle in the $5-10k range (civic, accord, corolla, camry) for my step-daughter who just got her license. There are some really attractive lease deals on leftover 2019 civics that we are considering.

Wow, that is a crazy lease payments!

That said, it all depends on what you are looking at though. We are shopping for a used vehicle in the $5-10k range (civic, accord, corolla, camry) for my step-daughter who just got her license. There are some really attractive lease deals on leftover 2019 civics that we are considering.
I've got that white '91 80series Emily could rock.

I nearly fell over. My entire monthly budget for our 3 cars is about 2/3 of this - including gas, insurance and maintenance!

No kidding! No maintenance other than gas and oil changes? For a new vehicle I wouldn't be expecting anything more than that for maintenance!

My ragtag "fleet" cost me about a third of that a month last year - insurance, registration, maintenance, and fuel. I'll say that my girlfriend pays registration, insurance, and most fuel costs for her Jeep, but I pay for fuel when we're traveling and pay for her maintenance costs (which I perform) - and those items are included in my budget.

Ok, I had to dig into the numbers a bit further just because...

My budget last year includes the Yukon, K2500, Vulcan motorcycle, skidloader and mini-excavator, lawn & garden (mainly just fuel for the mower, weedeater, etc), and some expenses for the Jeep. The Toyotas, Saab, and Mustang aren't included at the moment. Biggest maintenance expenses last year were replacing the fuel tank and some associated work on the K2500 and then sensors, PMD, and other associated components on the Yukon - and those costs don't even add up to two months of his lease payment.

Taking advantage of a completely clear calendar this weekend. I kinda like having no commitments - life on hold.....

New steering rack - old one leaked and kept destroying inner rod ends. The last straw was a clicking noise the last few months.

20200315_193129.jpg

Also installed a new Toyota transmission mount

20200314_091531.jpg

My skid plate is holding up pretty good!

20200315_151905.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom