Best brake booster - no other mods....yet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve seen all the brake upgrade threads about using FJ80, 4Runner, and T100 mods but they have been in conjunction with other mods (calipers and master cylinders).

What’s the best option for a stock 62? Imay upgrade calipers and master in the future.

Also, Toyota parts deal lists them all as NLA. Hoping a new vacuum line will fix my booster issue but tbd :/

The braking system is a system where each component is designed around the capabilities and limitations of each other component. They match each other. The power of the brake booster matches the master cylinder and calipers. If one of those components is changed significantly willy nilly (bigger calipers, or different master cylinder or bigger brake booster) the system may no longer be balanced and the braking performance may get worse, not better.

If you're just going to replace one thing (the booster) replace it with one that is similar to the original. If you want a complete new braking system, replace everything based on recommendations from others who've already done it before.

I'm still using a stock 62 booster with my T100 MC, 4Runner calipers and Monte Carlo rear calipers. Need to swap it out one of these days.....

@OSS thats what I was thinking

a non-Toyota 62 booster on rock auto is $431... that can’t be the best option.

Jebus.

Take the part numbers you're finding on ToyotaPartsDeal and punch them in on Partsouq. They might have something available.

Fj80 and 62 nla on partsouq too...and listed at >$500

Hi, I thought someone was rebuilding these ? Mike

If it's like his others, it will come in an Aisin/Asco box, in other words, OEM

Anyone know what the difference is between the FJ60 and FJ62 (US spec) booster ? FJ60 Booster was made by Bendix....

City Racer's parts always fit. If you can afford his 62 booster, that's the way to go.

If not, the '95 4-Runner booster is, I'm pretty certain, internally identical to the 62's. A non-OEM 4R booster is available at any LAPS.

The 60 booster is considerably weaker that the 62's or the 4-Runner's. It is smaller in diameter and deeper.

Don't change the master or calipers. There is no benefit to the T-100 master or 4-Runner calipers other than availability.

There is a big brake Tundra mod that changes everything at once but it is very expensive and has multiple drawbacks and compromises. It's not for everyone and isn't needed on a vehicle running 32" tires or less.

My favorite booster is hydroboost

I just recently put an 80 booster in and that’s it. Night and day difference.
Got a part number? I've been wanting ot upgrade my booster since I upgraded all the other stuff.

Frankly, at least among the rebuilds, I can't tell the difference between 4Runner ,Tacoma, 80 or 60 boosters as long
as it's dual diaphragm. I've had 80 boosters that will put you through the windshield and the next feel no different
than the stock. The 78 FJ40 had the same brake companents as the 76 ,77 and 79 but ran a huge dual diaphragm. It didn't stop
any different than the smaller ones. The hydroboost is a different story. It has more potential. I did more disc swaps with 40s in the 1980's than I can remember using junkyard boosters from minitrucks, Celicas and any other Toyota that shared the 4 bolt pattern. Any good working booster will stop the truck within the limits of the brake components. If you really want better brakes, get bigger rotors/drums. That said , Rock Autos prices on the 4runner boosters are better than on the 80 units. Most of the differences in the
Toyota boosters of the same diameter are in the fittings. The vacuum line points in various directions for different applications

Here ya go. I got this from Georg, at Valley Hybrids.
Be sure to bench bleed it before install.
F6D91DA6-2D3E-4B9B-BD32-3B8F77EFA833.jpeg
00115DFA-DCE0-4D6B-9609-226B70A8B393.jpeg
8452E118-2C69-4F9F-9941-AFE32C98CC96.jpeg

So joebattle1 - I looked up the Master Cyl pictured and that is for the T-100. So you did the 80 Booster and the T-100 Master is that correct? I have a bad booster and figure I'd swap the master at the same time. Thanks

I replaced everything but the booster when the knuckle job was done. Brakes were still weak at slow speeds (slow stop). The booster was the fix.

That one from CR is about the same amount as aftermarket one my local shop got. It has a "lifetime" warranty. I had my local FS guys do the job including replacing the vacuum lines from the engine to the booster. The check valve was fine. They also confirmed rear drum adjustment and bled the system very well.

I replaced my 60 booster with a '95 4runner booster several years ago. The 4Runner booster has a nipple for the vacuum to connect to vs. a port for the 60 booster. I had to source an external check valve from the pick-a part to be able to run the 4Runner booster. Aside from that, it was a bolt-on affair and works well.

I used the dual-diaphragm one from @Racer65 and it is night and day vs the old leaky OE one. Plug and play with the exception of not needing the horseshoe hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom