toyota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine was done today by the local Toyota...service guy noted I was the 4th owner so far with the recall. Start to finish 1.5 hours, including a complementary car wash. The fix worked. ;)

Mine is done. When I called ahead to have them order the part I asked about a loaner.. advisor said he wasn’t sure if toyota was covering that but would ask.

When I showed up today I had a loaner Camry waiting for me.

Mine is done. When I called ahead to have them order the part I asked about a loaner.. advisor said he wasn’t sure if toyota was covering that but would ask.

When I showed up today I had a loaner Camry waiting for me.
I called today to have my dealer order the parts. They said vehicle had to be inspected to see if it needed the recall remedy before parts could be ordered. VIN search says mine is under the recall and I got the notice in mail. Wtf do they need to inspect to see if it's eligible before ordering part? Fyi this is the same dealer that nearly filed a case with Toyota because my AC wouldn't turn off. I told them the cool box had to be off first and they were like Oh we didn't know that.

I called today to have my dealer order the parts. They said vehicle had to be inspected to see if it needed the recall remedy before parts could be ordered. VIN search says mine is under the recall and I got the notice in mail. Wtf do they need to inspect to see if it's eligible before ordering part? Fyi this is the same dealer that nearly filed a case with Toyota because my AC wouldn't turn off. I told them the cool box had to be off first and they were like Oh we didn't know that.

The recall procedure will be spelled out very specifically and they will only put a Master Tech on it, so you can mostly trust that the work will be done right. As for why they have to inspect it.. what year is yours? I seem to remember some of the recall language suggesting later model cruisers that hadn't been sold yet (as in brand new) could be inspected and modified.. but all others had to have the parts replaced.

FYI if you stick your year/model in your signature line it'll make this kind of stuff just a little easier.

In Vegas there are probably a few dealers.. maybe try another? call around to service departments and see who has some clue of what's going on?

Mine was done last week based on VIN I gave the dealer. Service guy said no need for inspection but he'd have to order parts VIN by
VIN. Mine were ordered a week ago this past Friday, dealer had them Monday. I went in last Tuesday afternoon...it took an hour including a free car wash. No issues and :princess: instead of border collie can now sit in the front passenger seat...the BC has her own chest/neck harness.

The recall procedure will be spelled out very specifically and they will only put a Master Tech on it, so you can mostly trust that the work will be done right. As for why they have to inspect it.. what year is yours? I seem to remember some of the recall language suggesting later model cruisers that hadn't been sold yet (as in brand new) could be inspected and modified.. but all others had to have the parts replaced.

FYI if you stick your year/model in your signature line it'll make this kind of stuff just a little easier.

In Vegas there are probably a few dealers.. maybe try another? call around to service departments and see who has some clue of what's going on?
They put a master tech on it, who taught a couple of other techs how to do it. Mine was the 4th 200 that the dealer had fixed per the recall. The "inspected and modified" deal for new trucks assumes the dealer ordered parts per each VIN...new parts not needed assuming the passenger seat electronics work(ed) correctly

2018 US model. Bought in April 2018. My point was the recall should be by VIN. It's the only dealer to have ever serviced my Cruiser. They clearly have the VIN and that should suffice to know it's eligible IMO.

There are 3 other Toyota dealers here. But this one is 5 minutes from my house. Others are >20 minutes away. So by default they get my service business because of convenience despite my complaints lol. But yes I should call others and ask about recall by VIN. It's due for 20k service anyways just didnt want to have to take it in twice if they could order parts up front.

2018 US model. Bought in April 2018. My point was the recall should be by VIN. It's the only dealer to have ever serviced my Cruiser. They clearly have the VIN and that should suffice to know it's eligible IMO.

There are 3 other Toyota dealers here. But this one is 5 minutes from my house. Others are >20 minutes away. So by default they get my service business because of convenience despite my complaints lol. But yes I should call others and ask about recall by VIN. It's due for 20k service anyways just didnt want to have to take it in twice if they could order parts up front.

I do think the 2018s were in the "inspect" camp vs just order by default, but I'd have to re-read the recall language and don't have it handy. Might be worth your time to dig up the papers they sent you and see what it says. Dealer may not be wrong on this one.

I do think the 2018s were in the "inspect" camp vs just order by default, but I'd have to re-read the recall language and don't have it handy. Might be worth your time to dig up the papers they sent you and see what it says. Dealer may not be wrong on this one.
20190825_065707.jpg

This is what shows up in my toyota owners account for my vehicle. I was basing it off that. NTSB VIN search shows the same. It says nothing about inspect which is where my surprise came from. Guess I'll call around and do some more googling.

View attachment 2066842

This is what shows up in my toyota owners account for my vehicle. I was basing it off that. NTSB VIN search shows the same. It says nothing about inspect which is where my surprise came from. Guess I'll call around and do some more googling.

Yeah I might be getting the procedure for new vehicles confused.

Pit one dealer against the other. Call the inconvenient ones and ask them about the process and any inspection. When they say no, call yours and ask why it's different. They do get paid by toyota for this work, I don't see why they'd be reluctant to do it, especially on a regular customer's vehicle.

I took my '17 in last week expecting the work to be done, but when I got to the dealer, they said they'd have inspect. Of course it needs the fix, and now I'm waiting 3 - 5 days for the parts. What a PITA. I fine it hard to believe they can't figure this out based on my VIN.

Completed my recall (J05) today and a 15k checkup. 2.5 hours to complete..

They said I need a wheel alignment every 15k on Land Cruisers. Sounds like BS. Has anyone else heard this?

Completed my recall (J05) today and a 15k checkup. 2.5 hours to complete..

They said I need a wheel alignment every 15k on Land Cruisers. Sounds like BS. Has anyone else heard this?

Considering Toyota offers two years & 25K miles maintenance free (SE USA anyway), and they didn't perform (or offer) a wheel alignment...

Keep in mind about a year ago I also had the dealer mount a set of KO2s on Rock Warrior wheels, and still they didn't seem to think I needed an alignment. With that minor evidence, and a total lack of scientific knowledge, I'd call BS on the dealer.

EDIT: Maybe you offered you do a lot of bouncing around in rocks - that might change my opinion a bit.

j05 (and j15?) did come out together but the fixes came out in two waves (MY 2019 1st). 2019 MY (as @bloc) was recalling had to by inspected by dealer/port (pre Feb ‘19 production) as and the fixes were available in March ‘19 to dealers. Aug-18 thru Jan-19 production date were effected by the stop sell and remedied first.

In any event... it comprises of new wire loom and new tape around the wires in the seat belt connector. The job pays .5 hrs to dealer (so the dealer makes $50 -$60). I don’t think this requires a Master Tech as noted above, however, I would ALWAYS request a master to work on an LC (any generation).

(Rant) I find it annoying anyone would complain about having to take a Highlander for a rental. That’s like complaining about Hertz giving you an Altima because you drive a BMW at home. They have what they have. And you need to work with them. There is not one dealer in the US that has Land Cruisers in their TRAC program, as it would cost as much as three Camrys/RAV4s. Do the math, we’re a business...

Back on topic: the dealer typically won’t stock the part, as most dealers sell 1-2 LCs a year. So the odds are low they’ll have the foresight to stock it. I would guess if anyone is on these boards you probably have more knowledge of your vehicle than your service advisor at the dealership. I wouldn’t hold that against them completely. It would be like going to Best Buy and asking the 21-yr old in the speaker department for advice on a Martin Logan speaker. You’d just be wasting your time...

Last edited:
j05 (and j15?) did come out together but the fixes came out in two waves. 2019 MY (as @bloc) was recalling had to by inspected as and the fixes were out in March. I want to say build-date feb-19 and after. Aug-18 thru Jan-19 were effected. If my memory serves me, the build date in Jan/Feb are the ones that were to be inspected.

In any event... it Comprises of new wire loom and new tape around the wires in the seat belt connector. The job pays .5 hr. So the dealer makes $50 -$60. I don’t think this requires a Master as noted above, however, I would ALWAYS request a master to work on an LC (any generation).

(Rant:) I find it annoying anyone would complain about having to take a Highlander for a rental. That’s like complaining about Hertz giving you an Altima because you drive a BMW at home. They have what they have. And you need to work with them. There is not one dealer in the US that has Land Cruisers in their TRAC program, as it would cost as much as three Camrys/RAV4s. Do the math, we’re a business...

Back on topic: the dealer typically won’t stock the part, as most dealers sell 1-2 LCs a year. So the odds are low they’ll have the foresight to stock it. I would guess if anyone is on these boards you probably have more knowledge of your vehicle than your service advisor at the dealership. I wouldn’t hold that against them completely. It would be like going to Best Buy and asking the 21-yr old in the speaker department for advice on a Martin Logan speaker. You’d just be wasting your time...

Just J05 for my 2018

62DCFC92-5F16-42C0-BCA8-B7C79FBDACBC.jpeg

Well, its September, 2019 and I have not heard anything from Toyota since the first and second notices in December of 2018 and February of this year. Two different dealers have told me repeatedly I need to wait for my letter from Toyota before scheduling the fix. At this point I'll just wait until the 40,000 mile service later this fall and see if I can get them to order the part when I make the appointment. I feel like this is:
:deadhorse:

And it certainly was not "URGENT!" as the notices read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom