Cheap is good, 454 th400 and ???? swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3.70 are commonly available for the rear, the front is expensive ~$1000, the 3.55's out of AUS are custom and around $1000-1200 each.

I found them a lot less for the full set $500 USD fom Australia , just to use them in a 80 you need some parts from a 100 rear end

Do you have a link? $500 a set for the 9.5 and 8" reverse ring gears in 3.55 is a crazy deal that I would like to buy.

I found them a lot less for the full set $500 USD fom Australia , just to use them in a 80 you need some parts from a 100 rear end

Do you have a link? $500 a set for the 9.5 and 8" reverse ring gears in 3.55 is a crazy deal that I would like to buy.

Performance Diesel Inter Coolers The price went up a bit since I spoke with them

:popcorn:
All y'all guys... this would of been a great fire side chat... but online a bit stressful. :oops:

Obviously, the OP is not partial to any manufacture.
If its just a family rig to make the wife happy on the cheap then just get adapter to a stock tranny if available. Im not hip on the tranny numbers...

Do you miss her?

Thank you, this is the information I like, real world data. I just need to make it fit with the stock tank. I’m still looking for a split case from a fj60.

Yes and no. It was a lot of work getting that swap working well. It started out with the 5.3L and a 4L60E adapter to the BW1339. The 4L60E ended up being bad, and a front driveshaft was near impossible with the trans pan in the way. Found a NV3500 and NP241. The 5.3L was never offered with a manual trans, but the parts from a 4.8L worked. Biggest issue there was getting the hydraulic clutch master cylinder in the right location on the firewall. Once I did, it was a sweet setup. Until then, the clutch was a bear. Swapped the front D44 for a Ford hi pinion D44 to match up with the NP241, installed a Auburn LS up front and a powerloc LS in the rear, SOA it and ran 35's.

That truck ended being one of my dumber decisions in the end. After getting all the bugs worked out with it, I decided I wanted to swap in a diesel. Tore it apart and then ran out of steam. Ended up parting it out. :bang: If I lived in a drier part of the country, I would get another, but they just don't do well with the winter road salt.

I think I found my solution, dual rear output NP205.

Post from pirate4x4, both rear outputs would be shifted together. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll look at a divorce NP205.

“This could be done with 205-only parts by taking the input shaft and center output, and rear bearing retainer from the "top" of a DIVORCED NP205. This would be to get a shaft splined for a yoke. It would be necessary to machine the teeth off the rear input gear so the gear didn't engage the rear idler gear in the offset position. Might work if the shift dog/clutch still engaged.
The rationale for doing this would be if you wanted a fine spline front output or if you had a pile of NP205s around and no NP200. Charlie”

You might double check the parts availability on that. If the post you found is the one I recall from 10-15 years ago, a lot of the parts were difficult to find then :hmm:
It is from 2002. He said one needs a divorced case as a donor. I’m going to a wedding for my wife’s blah blah blah and am in eastern Oregon. I looked for a divorce 205 and found one 30 minutes from the in-laws and pick it up this morning for $150. I’ll tear them apart next week and see if he is right 😂

It came with the jack shaft, those are hard to find.... Ebay....

Just in case anyone is searching for NP205 double offset. I have both GM married and Ford divorce cases on my bench and mating the divorce input and center (stock rear) output to the married front output position is physically possible. It just won’t give you any practical selection. Without removing any teeth the front output will always be connected to the idler gear (FWD all time). Remove front output gear teeth and when you engage the front output you will have the front and rear shafts connected and neutral to the idler gear. The rear gear is riding on the rear shaft via needle bearings and the collar can only engage one, ie engage front or rear or be in between (neutral). Behemoth drivetrain makes a shaft so it would work, you need a lot of pieces from another case (which I have). The problem is the front and rear offset outputs are on one shaft, all time 4wd. Not practical.

Still on the cheap route, I’m still trying to use the 205. The 2nd 205 cost 150 but it has 32 spline front output shaft. I might use that depending on the flange I need for the driveshaft I use. When I’m done with the project I’ll part it out.

I found this post and besides the guy missing 2 drop spacers it looks good. The pictures are on post 13 Consensus on 6BT in FJ80 without AWD

He moved his fuel tank to the rear, so I looked up rear fuel tank FJ80. One guy did a Jeep WJ tank (22 gallons) and that got me thinking 1993 f350 rear tank, found it was 18 gallons. Searching about the f350 tank and found spectate has a 38 gallon replacement. It is 35x19x10. We have a conservative 41x21x8, plenty of room for that where the stock spare sits.

Facts, really...... here is a fact, I have 4 6bts. 1 in a 02 1500, 1 in a 96 frame with a 67 4 door f350 cab and a 96 dodge dash 1 complete with a bad #5 hole and a fully balanced long block!!!!!!! Axles.... 2 Dana 60 steer, 1 10.25 sterling SRW, 1 Dana 70 DRW.

View attachment 2059527View attachment 2059525View attachment 2059526

All these facts and none of them pertain to my questions, that makes them useless facts but facts. Hmmmmmm I don’t drive the diesels because work is 2.8 miles away and that isn’t the best choice for those engines. So instead I drive the wife’s 5.3 liter gmc envoy or one of the 2 explorers. I need to thin the herd!!!!!

View attachment 2059528View attachment 2059529
Is that Timothy Lake? We cruised through there last year as we made our way north through Oregon on the way home from Rubicon. We took a forest service road past Timothy lake upnfeom Detroit. Did you mention snow wheeling in that area?

I say do it! I have a 93 80 i bought for pretty cheap not as cheap as you and missing the front axle and the front suspension been building trucks for years and have a bunch pf stuff just sitting around like bbc th400 np205 np200 dynatrack king pin 60 front 6.17 gears Detroit lockers front and rear 70hd rear both are narrow down slightly wider than an 80 axle my plan is to take everything i have laying around and put it all in it just because i can.
Good luck
Tommy

I say do it! I have a 93 80 i bought for pretty cheap not as cheap as you and missing the front axle and the front suspension been building trucks for years and have a bunch pf stuff just sitting around like bbc th400 np205 np200 dynatrack king pin 60 front 6.17 gears Detroit lockers front and rear 70hd rear both are narrow down slightly wider than an 80 axle my plan is to take everything i have laying around and put it all in it just because i can.
Good luck
Tommy
Nice, people like us are the oddballs 😂

Is that Timothy Lake? We cruised through there last year as we made our way north through Oregon on the way home from Rubicon. We took a forest service road past Timothy lake upnfeom Detroit. Did you mention snow wheeling in that area?

Close, Olallie lake. It’s closer to my house then Timothy lake. We snow wheel every year. One month last winter 3 out of 4 Saturday’s was in the snow ⛄

Close, Olallie lake. It’s closer to my house then Timothy lake. We snow wheel every year. One month last winter 3 out of 4 Saturday’s was in the snow ⛄
I’d like to join you sometime. We moved to WA 17 months ago and good snow wheeling here seems nonexistent because off-road areas are turned over to snowmobiles. We did some epic snow wheeling in the Sierra’s for nearly 30 years so I’m jonesing.

I’d like to join you sometime. We moved to WA 17 months ago and good snow wheeling here seems nonexistent because off-road areas are turned over to snowmobiles. We did some epic snow wheeling in the Sierra’s for nearly 30 years so I’m jonesing.
Sounds like a plan... hopefully I’ll be taking the fj80, my explorer on 37’s does well also. We had a guy last year show up from Washington, he said they don’t have much to play with up there. One of my buddies got a video of him turning around on what we call pucker ridge but it’s on Facebook. The moron (self admitted) was buzzed(drunk) so balls of steel. All I can say is he was lucky, on the way back off the trail he put it the almost new Jeep on its side, he sobered up real quick.

Sounds like a plan... hopefully I’ll be taking the fj80, my explorer on 37’s does well also. We had a guy last year show up from Washington, he said they don’t have much to play with up there. One of my buddies got a video of him turning around on what we call pucker ridge but it’s on Facebook. The moron (self admitted) was buzzed(drunk) so balls of steel. All I can say is he was lucky, on the way back off the trail he put it the almost new Jeep on its side, he sobered up real quick.
So let’s put a snow trip together. Camping or hoteling two or three day trips are cool.

Its been years since I looked into all this... but when I went to a 205/14bolt my understanding was that the DL might clear with a centered output and stock offset diff but swapping to a centered output and relatively centered diff was gonna cause problems. Don’t remember how I determined for sure but ended up axing the stock gas tank and found a WJ tank that I cut a plate for the jeep round screw on pickup/sender and then I cut a hole for the stock yota sender/pickup and modified the filler neck to fit the jeep tank. Made some really s***ty strap mounts to use the wj straps and extended the wiring. But I’m also running chevy 63s and a 14 bolt so I can’t say for sure how stock panhard setup would work with that.

Anyway I seem to remember that a centered output and stock axle may play ball. Itd be worth mocking up. 205 seems a good route but otoh its also got a pitiful 1.96:1 low gear. Maybe behind an auto and big block thats not so significant though...?

Edit: just read a linked thread looks like stock tank wont clear, although I still think itd be worth mocking up.

Last edited:
Its been years since I looked into all this... but when I went to a 205/14bolt my understanding was that the DL might clear with a centered output and stock offset diff but swapping to a centered output and relatively centered diff was gonna cause problems. Don’t remember how I determined for sure but ended up axing the stock gas tank and found a WJ tank that I cut a plate for the jeep round screw on pickup/sender and then I cut a hole for the stock yota sender/pickup and modified the filler neck to fit the jeep tank. Made some really s***ty strap mounts to use the wj straps and extended the wiring. But I’m also running chevy 63s and a 14 bolt so I can’t say for sure how stock panhard setup would work with that.

Anyway I seem to remember that a centered output and stock axle may play ball. Itd be worth mocking up. 205 seems a good route but otoh its also got a pitiful 1.96:1 low gear. Maybe behind an auto and big block thats not so significant though...?

Edit: just read a linked thread looks like stock tank wont clear, although I still think itd be worth mocking up.
I had my old 96 on the alignment rack Tuesday to check measurements. Without cutting the corner of the tank out I don’t see it working. I read (it was probably yours) about the WJ tank, I was curious how butchered did the stock pump to WJ tank look?

I had my old 96 on the alignment rack Tuesday to check measurements. Without cutting the corner of the tank out I don’t see it working. I read (it was probably yours) about the WJ tank, I was curious how butchered did the stock pump to WJ tank look?

It wasnt too bad. The sender came out pretty good. I traced out the sender and then used a hole saw on either end and trimmed inbetween, used stock rubber gasket and some 1/4” hardware. Theres a nice flat spot on top that works well. Then you can reach up through the factory sender hole. Modified pickup tube and bent the float arm a touch. What isnt pretty is how I mounted my straps. It could be done better. Then finding hose to fit the filler neck and jeep tank was a pain. Not too bad overall really. Oh and the stock wj sender I just had a circle plate cut out and used some sealant and put it under the thread on ring deal. No leaks with diesel.

On the plus side, its a poly tank and it was like 20$

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom