Welp, I'm screwed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just built a new NWTI bumper and hooked up a winch (emgo 9000).

I disconnected the battery to hook up the winch

I went to start the car, and the lights turned on. The engine didn't turn over.

Hmmm, dead battery?

No, voltage is fine.

Open door, and the alarm is going off.

Great.

Stick the key in the lock. LOCK< UNLOCK< LOCK< UNLOCK<LOCK <UNLOCK

Alarm still going off.

Shiioot.

DC battery again.

reconnect battery

Roll up all windows, lock unlock, etc.

Try to start the car.

Lights, no action.

Open door

The f-ing alarm again.

Shiiiiiiiiiiizle

DC the horn.

Leave door open, turn car to on, disconnect the battery

reconnect the battery.

Car still won't start, but at least the door alarm is working now.

WTFreak is going on?

Any suggestions? I think the guy before me had a alarm on the thing, and obviously the immobilizer is on.

What can I do?

images.jpeg

I suppose I should mention there was once a switch by the left kickboard under the dash, but I tore it out, thinking it useless. How screwed am I?

I think i read somewhere if you cycle the key in the ignition a few times that will do it? I believe you turn it to accessory, not to full ignition. Give it a whirl?

I don't think mine is factory, but I am going to try to remove it tomorrow.

Next pic will be a pile of wires. A big nasty pile of wires with those, I'm my opinion, horrible vampire clip wire taps.
Used to have a pic of the mess I pulled from my wagon.
You may need an assortment of butt connectors, wire, tape, heat shrink and patience. Patience in what ever form you prefer and good amount of it.

The factory connections are easy to spot. They are done nicely. Coulple that made me wonder had blue tape. Those were factory splices.

Oh and enjoy your time kneeling, sitting and contouring yourself to see under the dash and kick panel.
If you dont have patience you may end up being one.

You'll be happy once it's gone and buttoned up.

I suppose I should mention there was once a switch by the left kickboard under the dash, but I tore it out, thinking it useless. How screwed am I?
Thats the valet switch for the alarm, you're not screwed if you still know where the 2 wires are, you can tap them together and the alarm should kick off. You need that switch for just the occasion you are in. Your alarm has locked out the ignition.

I had to remove my alarm. Here is the thread. It has a link to another thread. I also had to temporarily power the ECU with a jumper wire which eventually turned out to be a bad fusible link. Turn the key forward and test the ECU fuse for power. Check your fusible link.

I ripped out my factory alarm (I never owned a FOB and I had never set it or had it go off) after it left me stranded at a restaurant one night. Fortunately, I had enough tools with me that I was able to bypass it in a parking lot. Drove home, ate dinner, then ripped out the alarm by the roots.

Been there, done that. I had alarm issues with both my '93 and '95. My '95 didn't even come with the fob. I removed both of them. Problem solved.

Hope for you that your alarm is factory since they are a very clean install / remove.

Ditch the alarm, install a hidden kill switch and avoid parking in sketchy areas.

Is this the wiring for the valet switch?

IMG_20190816_074824.jpg

The alarm needs to see a negative ground to disable (or re-enable) the starter. When the alarm is disarmed, it just grounds that lead and the truck can start.

I shorted it out it fixed everything

These threads always remind me that I need to get my alarm removed.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom