Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The gas can mount I bought from Front Runner didn't work out, and I need cans on the roof for the next month, so I went with a much cheaper solution - 2x2, wood screws, and cinch straps.

The front runner mounts have some potential, but I'd have to turn the straps into more of a cage and bend the walls of the basket out a little. Decide later.

View attachment 2045801

View attachment 2045802

View attachment 2045808
Look at Mr Fancy Pants with his wood blocks! Ratchet straps alone aren't good enough for you?

Just kidding, looks good to me. I'd throw some carpet scraps under the cans to stop rattles/squeaks.

washoe valley engineering... ???

Damn straight. In fact I was pissed when I got home from buying the 2x2 and realized I had enough scraps from the rabbit hutch my daughter built to where I didn't need to spend the $2.

You spent 2 bucks, should have gone thru the cull lumber pile at home depot...

Spoken like someone who has stopped in the middle of nowhere to stuff sound deadening socks under an incessant squeak.

Lol..so true... thats what the garage towel on the trans tunnel is for in my crew cab...that way i font hear the gear rattle in the nv4500...

I drove with those Wavian NATO style cans on the roof this weekend and I'm very happy with them. We did about 100 miles of dirt and gravel in near 100 degree temps and 2600 feet of elevation change, with the cans on their sides, and not a drop leaked. I have spare seals in the ammo can I bolted to the rack in case they do start to leak. I just need to come up with a better mount that places them on their back so they don't take up as much room, like the Front Runner mount, but sturdier. Plus this gets me out of spending $$$ on bumper swing out.

I'll be selling my two Rotopax 4-gallon cans and mounts soon, if any of you BBCNN guys are interested send me a PM. I like the Rotopax design, but to work on my roof rack I have to lie them flat and then frequently take them down to burp them- and the gas is always up to the seal so as often as not drips gas down my side window. If you mount them vertical or on the back edge the way they are supposed to be, they seal as good as any plastic can and you can just crack the cap to vent them.

Sneak peak! They're wrapping up some misc parts and possibly some touch up on the frame. It should be home on the 15th. Body goes for media blasting next week too.

IMG_20190808_163918.jpg

Sneak peak! They're wrapping up some misc parts and possibly some touch up on the frame. It should be home on the 15th. Body goes for media blasting next week too.

View attachment 2053367
That thing looks way nice Tony! Can't wait to see it come together. Here to help too when you start getting to that point. I've been enjoying learning a bunch of new things on my own FJ40, so experiencing this ground up restore would be a cool learning experience too.

That thing looks way nice Tony! Can't wait to see it come together. Here to help too when you start getting to that point. I've been enjoying learning a bunch of new things on my own FJ40, so experiencing this ground up restore would be a cool learning experience too.

Thanks! Yeah you are more than welcome to come over. I’ll try to schedule some days and invite everyone in the club. I hope to start assembly on the rolling chassis the week of the 19th but am waiting for my motor/trans mounts, bolt kit, and ubolt flip kits to get here.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon I threw together a storage system, mostly to keep the cooler off of the hot floor. 2x2 and 3/4" ply, maybe $30 in materials. I left Home Depot about 3PM, and was loading gear by 9pm. I've never had a setup like this before, it was nice at camp with the cooler and the black tote out to have shelves to set things on as I organized and repacked. I'll replace the triangular gussets with metal L straps soon.

IMG_20190809_214557469.jpg

These are a few pics from the trail through Slide Spring, by Fortynine Mountain across the valley from Cedarville. Steep with enough sharp rock to worry about the tires, and a little tight. Awesome views. The trail is only a couple of miles, but it could make an interesting destination in a longer club trip. I'll link to a video I shot of the views coming back down later.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_20190811_130905465_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190811_131340315_HDR.jpg

I gave my 62 a dirty look of disapproval today for not taking its transmission out and getting it fixed. Despite my best attempts, it ignored me and continued to drip oil.

Oh well. At least I know it still has oil in it...

I gave my 62 a dirty look of disapproval today for not taking its transmission out and getting it fixed. Despite my best attempts, it ignored me and continued to drip oil. Oh well. At least I know it still has oil in it...

Lemme know if you need a hand. I'm not far and always happy to help!

@lelandEOD was an outstanding mate today and dropped by after work to help me bring the frame into the garage. It was only 100 degrees outside... on an aluminum trailer (110 degrees) handling a black chassis (2000 degrees!). Thank you sir!

I couldn't resist the temptation to bolt something... ANYTHING to the chassis. So I test fitted the 4Plus extended shock towers. They might be on the wrong way... :bah:

IMG_20190816_173229.jpg

I'll pull them so I can send the nuts and bolts off for yellow zinc.

BeBe got some new shoes last night... Found a nice sized screw in front tire the other day and with only 3/32" left on most of the tires, decided it was time. Apparently the screw had been there for a bit as the head had sheared/ground off according to the guys at Discount. Never had any air issues so whatever. New Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom