Full float wheel hub identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cascadecruisers.com
Hello to those that may remember me... I am a land cruiser owner again. :)

Here is my dilemma/confusion/question. My fj45 has a dana 60 full float rear end that has been converted to utilize LC FF wheel hubs... but for the life of me I dont know what I have going on back there. The axle studs were sheered off by the previous owner and have proven impossible to drill out and remove. I know I could probably bring it to a machine shop and have everything re-worked but I would prefer at this moment to just replace what I have.

Long story short... can someone please identify what wheel hubs (model, year, description, etc. ) have?

Here are the clues I have:

COMM4816[1].JPG

IMG_0749[1].JPG

IMG_0750[1].JPG

IMG_0746[1].JPG

IMG_0747[1].JPG

whaaaaaat

Need measurements of the overall hub length, and the distance from WMS to the axle flange surface. I have some data from a number of years ago comparing a few different hubs I can dig up.

From the pics, I'd guess an FZJ80 rear axle FF hub. The FJ40 and FJ60 FF hubs had a lot more stickout from the wheel mounting surface.

whaaaaaat

Need measurements of the overall hub length, and the distance from WMS to the axle flange surface. I have some data from a number of years ago comparing a few different hubs I can dig up.

From the pics, I'd guess an FZJ80 rear axle FF hub. The FJ40 and FJ60 FF hubs had a lot more stickout from the wheel mounting surface.

Dang that was quick. I can do some measuring when I get home tonight. My guess is 80 series too but from all the diagrams I saw, the bearing was the "sealed" type for those and these dont use those. Are they interchangeable?

What do you mean by sealed? FZJ80 FF rear wheel bearings are exactly the same as 40s and 60s IIRC. They are tapered roller bearings like you've pictured. I'm assuming it's a different bearing being used on your D60 axle though. I'd be surprised if the spindle dimensions on your D60 matched a land cruiser spindle.

The spindle looks to be toyota... and the bearings number I have from the axle seem to match to LC parts... but also cross reference to 100 series too. Probably just a coincidence/shared part number though.

Yeah, the wheel bearings are the same across many years and generations of LC. No surprise there. Still don't know what you mean by sealed tapered roller bearings. AFAIK, such a thing does not exist.

Measurements will confirm that it's an 80 spindle.

That looks like a FJ40 disc brake hub. 75-80.

Last edited:
Years ago a company, I can not remember who,( maybe foothills) made a rear Dana 60 rear toyota spindles on it and a full float axle. It was in 30 or 35 spline so it was stronger than most. I think it was for a mini truck. I never broke a rear axle so never looked into it more.

I don't think it is an 80-series. The 80 FF didn't use the two hex nuts to set bearing preload.

This is Harry Brimmerman (I'm 90% sure that was his name... He used to do the calendars for TLCA) FJ45 with a 454 in it. He got out of Cruisers and sold his fleet to @esh. When the truck was built, 80's would have been new. Personally, I'm guessing it is from a 70 series knowing all the rare stuff that Harry had, but it could have been a FF 60 or 40.

FWIW, the 60 series didn't use two hex nuts either, but the thread on the spindle accepts either the locking collar type that 60s, 70s and 80s got, or the dual nut/star washer arrangement that's on the front end of any truck. They could have easily used front hubs and associated hardware to build this rear D60 FF.

I found the hub length post I was looking for. This is why I don't think that hub is a 40/60 FF hub. The 60 hub pictured here has way more stickout from the WMS than the pics above:

This is my old 60 FF axle hub. I believe that the 40 FF hub has a similar stickout from the WMS.

1565115093072.png

The rotor part number comes back as FJ60/62, if that helps.

Guys. That's a 75-80 FJ40 FRONT hub. Same as FJ60 front hubs other then the different rotor attachment method.
That is clearly a 40/60 front spindle.

That looks like a FJ40 disc brake hub. 75-80.

40/60/80 spindle :flipoff2:

Looks right to me. Good call matt :cheers:

Well if you want to get technical,
80 spindles are actually different. The 80 front spindles are about 1" shorter then the 40/60/mini. And the rears have a larger thread for the retaining nut/collar then the 40/60/mini and 80 fronts. I tried to put the 80 rear bearing retaining setup on the front of a 60 spindle and it was too big. It's not a huge difference, maybe a few a millimeters you wouldn't notice unless you had them side by side.

I know the rotor attachment method is different for mini truck junk but if I went mini truck wheel hub route (easier to source around here) would the "assembly" of the rotor, hub, spindle nuts,etc... land in the same spots/measurements on the spindle? I ask as the caliper/bracket is obliviously in a fixed location to some degree and the spindle needs to be the right length as well.

Sorry my LC aptitude is rusty these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom