Tonto Annual Pass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know if the Tonto annual pass is currently (January 2016) available online? I realized mine was expired and went to order a new one today, but all I can find are the daily passes. BTW, the daily passes are now $8 each.
Below is the link I was at, and I did a bunch of searching. Even the print and mail form does not have the annual pass on it (not to mention, they still have the daily passes at $6 each).

Tonto National Forest - Recreation Passes & Permits

I guess my option is to go down the their office at 24th Street & McDowell.

Thank you for your help.

I checked today and they seem to have merged the Tonto pass into the America the Beautiful interdepartmental pass according to their website.

Here is a quote from their website.
"Since national interagency passes apply only to sites with entrance fees, they have limited applicability on the Tonto National Forest.

Tonto Upgrade decals will not be sold after December 31, 2015. Beginning January 1, 2016, the Tonto National Forest will sell Discovery Passes which can be used at boat launches, Picnic and Shoreline sites. In addition, you may purchase your national interagency passes at Tonto National Forest offices, but they will only be valid in Picnic sites. They will not cover Boat Launches, Campgrounds, or Shoreline sites.

The Annual Tonto Discovery pass is $80.00 or $60.00 for seniors."

So, it appears they have the Annual Tonto Discovery pass for $80, but not online at this point. If you check the FAQ, you still need a Tonto pass to go to certain areas, or camp in the Tonto forest.

Here is what it says on the main pass page. So depending on use I guess you still need the a pass. The link to the pass just loops back to the start of passes page:

The Tonto National Forest does not charge entry fees (unlike, for example, national parks). The Interagency Passes are valid at Picnic Sites on the Tonto National Forest.

In order to visit expanded amenity recreation sites, such as boat launches and Shoreline sites, a daily pass or Annual Tonto Discovery Pass is required. Examples of expanded ammenity recreation sites include Saguaro Del Norte and Palo Verde recreation sites. Standard ammenity recreation sites require either a Tonto Discovery Pass or the National Interagency Pass. Standard ammenity recreation sites include most day-use sites on the Lower Salt River.

The Annual Tonto Discovery Pass or the national interagency pass , are not valid for overnight use at highly developed campgrounds such as Tortilla, Cholla, Windy Hill, Schoolhouse, and Burnt Corral campgrounds. Tonto daily passes are required at these sites.

Here is what it says on the main pass page. So depending on use I guess you still need the a pass. The link to the pass just loops back to the start of passes page:

The Tonto National Forest does not charge entry fees (unlike, for example, national parks). The Interagency Passes are valid at Picnic Sites on the Tonto National Forest.

In order to visit expanded amenity recreation sites, such as boat launches and Shoreline sites, a daily pass or Annual Tonto Discovery Pass is required. Examples of expanded ammenity recreation sites include Saguaro Del Norte and Palo Verde recreation sites. Standard ammenity recreation sites require either a Tonto Discovery Pass or the National Interagency Pass. Standard ammenity recreation sites include most day-use sites on the Lower Salt River.

The Annual Tonto Discovery Pass or the national interagency pass , are not valid for overnight use at highly developed campgrounds such as Tortilla, Cholla, Windy Hill, Schoolhouse, and Burnt Corral campgrounds. Tonto daily passes are required at these sites.

This aligns with my conversations with Tonto Rangers. I go motorcycle riding out around the lower verde river, if I park and stage in an unimproved area (that isn't closed off) I don't need a pass. I don't need a pass at the Wildcat area up on the Bartlet road side either. If I went to needle point or a developed area with some amenities, then I do need a pass.

Sounds like IRS rules to me. Definitely a government thing.

This aligns with my conversations with Tonto Rangers. I go motorcycle riding out around the lower verde river, if I park and stage in an unimproved area (that isn't closed off) I don't need a pass. I don't need a pass at the Wildcat area up on the Bartlet road side either. If I went to needle point or a developed area with some amenities, then I do need a pass.

Just better to purchase an annual pass even if you dont need it IMO if nothing else you help fund FS.

Will they still honor the stack of unused day passes I have in my glove box?

This sounds a lot like the Sedona Red Rock Pass system. The FS was challenged in Federal Court on the need for having a pass. The final take home was that they are free public lands, and you will only need a Red Rock Pass in improved areas that offer (at a minimum) a toilet, trash, and a picnic table. Hence, the subsequent improvements to many Sedona parking areas.

This sounds a lot like the Sedona Red Rock Pass system. The FS was challenged in Federal Court on the need for having a pass. The final take home was that they are free public lands, and you will only need a Red Rock Pass in improved areas that offer (at a minimum) a toilet, trash, and a picnic table. Hence, the subsequent improvements to many Sedona parking areas.

Tonto FS pass is really confusion -

Are there exceptions to the need for a Tonto Pass?
You will not need a pass when simply traveling through the forest or when stopping for activities incidental to through travel (stretch break, photo-opportunity, restroom use, stopping for information at ranger stations, visitor centers and other Forest Service offices, etc.). Volunteers and educational institutions, such as schools that bring children to the forest for an outing, are also exempt when issued an administrative pass.

Basically dont use our BBQ grills or seat at our picnic tables. :meh:

Last edited:
I just purchased my annual Discovery Pass. I bought it at the Tonto Headquarters on McDowell Road. $80. The nice thing about it, it hangs from your rear view mirror (a bad thing if you are LCP!) so you can move it from car to car.

They told me they are not currently available online, and can only be purchased at one of their offices. They told me the kiosks for the daily passes should be in place some time this spring.

I suppose you could write down that you wanted to buy an annual Discovery Pass, along with your mail to address, write a check for $80 and then mail it to them and see if they would send you one, but it is not currently offered via their mail in form.

Good luck.

The nice thing about it, it hangs from your rear view mirror (a bad thing if you are LCP!) so you can move it from car to car.

:flush:

Glad I bought my Tonto decal in September.

So, I just went down to the Tonto National Forest headquarters on McDowell. I guess the building is in the middle of being remodeled and not currently open to the public. Does anyone live near one of the other ranger stations and willing to buy me an annual pass. Of course I will gladly pay you back. I am just never near one of their offices during the work week.

Let me know and thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom