What's missing from the market? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As THE ONLY person here who is going thru or has gone thru the CARB process, the CARB legal LS swap ship has sailed and the process itself is not cheap, it’s not easy and it’s not quick.

There is no business case to doing swaps large scale. The demand will never be there.
Does that mean that you’re almost done developing it? Agreed, there isn’t enough demand.

I believe that the reason that you see no comprehensive LS swap kits is that there as simply soooo many variables that it is next to impossible to make it happen. Once past the variables in choice come the variables that GM provides. The motors, transmissions, ECUs and harnesses change all the time, even mid season, production run.

Many are fixated on keeping the cross member in the same place while others want to keep the OEM motor mounts and others want to keep the stock trans and still others want it all to work with OEM gauges. The list never ends.

People talk about wanting a kit that will solve all the problems for them and it'll all just bolt right in. The fact is that any swap into any vehicle is a lesson in problem solving. It's easy to do a swap on the cheap, the hard part is keeping that swap running while constantly fixing the hacks required to do it on the cheap. If you want a swap that is reliable, very few will pull it off "cheap".

When it comes to swaps, I've not had two the same yet, including brand new Connect & Cruise packages. Just one guy's OPINION.

What bicycleagent003 said. I am not sure I understand why a ls swap would have to be carb compliant for states other than California...... I think there are plenty of cruisers in the rest of the country, but maybe there is something I don't know about the whole carb compliant issue.

What bicycleagent003 said. I am not sure I understand why a ls swap would have to be carb compliant for states other than California...... I think there are plenty of cruisers in the rest of the country, but maybe there is something I don't know about the whole carb compliant issue.

There are 16 states that adhere to CARB now.

I believe that the reason that you see no comprehensive LS swap kits is that there as simply soooo many variables that it is next to impossible to make it happen. Once past the variables in choice come the variables that GM provides. The motors, transmissions, ECUs and harnesses change all the time, even mid season, production run.

Many are fixated on keeping the cross member in the same place while others want to keep the OEM motor mounts and others want to keep the stock trans and still others want it all to work with OEM gauges. The list never ends.

People talk about wanting a kit that will solve all the problems for them and it'll all just bolt right in. The fact is that any swap into any vehicle is a lesson in problem solving. It's easy to do a swap on the cheap, the hard part is keeping that swap running while constantly fixing the hacks required to do it on the cheap. If you want a swap that is reliable, very few will pull it off "cheap".

When it comes to swaps, I've not had two the same yet, including brand new Connect & Cruise packages. Just one guy's OPINION.

Bingo.

I will add to that the simple fact that designing and developing a production version of a product is very very different than building a one-off in your garage.

Yeah you guys are basically repeating what I said, only adding more issues on top.

Best case really is maybe providing a few helpful parts that are not available and that will compliment the collection of stuff already sourced for the swap. And I'll be real, it's not like I can compete (at least price wise) with anything out there as far as brackets and motor mounts and all that foundational stuff. Even if I assembled a kit, I would likely source that stuff myself....gets silly quick.

It really would have to be ONE set of parts in ONE combination and hope that everyone likes that combo. Not likely to happen. Kind of like people expressing that their houses are getting old and wish for someone to make an easy kit....( I know this kind of is a thing nowadays but you get my point)

Here are some items I would buy today if they were available:

- Rear pinion guard. Not for the diff housing, but the pinion itself.
- Tube doors that actually look good, even offered as a weld-it-yourself kit. Place to mount mirror, cupholders, speaker pod, etc.
- Cable lockers (edit: that won't cost me $1k to convert).

And I already have my solution, but I'm sure folks would be interested in taillight protection that actually works without having to cage the rear. Or perhaps even insert panels that allow you to run aftermarket lights like what you see on the XJs. Lots of 80s with broken taillights out there.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs and comments. This is very constructive IMO.
The mud community is blessed by its fantastic cottage industry (“a business ecosystem characterized for its highly specialized products and overall market fragmentation”-in corporate parlance). I get it. I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I would like to emphasize that all I'm suggesting here is exploring our solution. One, and only one, mud-approved solution. I'm not advocating my solution.
Most certainly, what I'm not suggesting is to follow the route already chosen by many fellow mudders-a kinda DIY swap kit. Rather, a factory supported crate engine+transmission combo, with 50K miles, 2 years warranty, smog legal (the CARB list will only grow regardless political winds)
Four Automakers Join California In Leading Charge To Spurn Trump Gas Mileage Regulation
This could be one example:
L96 6.0L 4WD CONNECT AND CRUISE W/4L70-E
If performed by a vendor member of the mud community I understand the total cost for a turn-key transplant will quickly get into the $30K's... yes, I know, that's a lot of dough.

Yet, please take into account these days people are willing to put over a $60K for a loaded Tacoma TRD or Jeep Gladiator. Not to mention $55K for a loaded Jeep Rubicon. Either case, when accessorized, the final sum can get to the low $70K....and the sales figures for these rigs are in the ten's on thousands! ...and the current demand is outpacing the supply.
Yes, I know, it's crazy!
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Has a Rugged, Split Personality

Therefore, and from this perspective, $30K, $35K even $40K for a new lease in life, with factory-backed warranty for the complete powertrain of our beloved 80 isn't that crazy.
The evidence suggest there's an unserved market niche. Probably we are not the targeted demographic group. That's all.
Cheers!
PS.- I'll get charcoal canister from Joey when available :)

$30K, $35K even $40K for a new lease in life, with factory-backed warranty for the complete powertrain of our beloved 80 isn't that crazy.

^ I'll have what this guy's having and make it a double with extra rainbow sprinkles.

...and the current demand is outpacing the supply.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs and comments. This is very constructive IMO.
The mud community is blessed by its fantastic cottage industry (“a business ecosystem characterized for its highly specialized products and overall market fragmentation”-in corporate parlance). I get it. I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I would like to emphasize that all I'm suggesting here is exploring our solution. One, and only one, mud-approved solution. I'm not advocating my solution.
Most certainly, what I'm not suggesting is to follow the route already chosen by many fellow mudders-a kinda DIY swap kit. Rather, a factory supported crate engine+transmission combo, with 50K miles, 2 years warranty, smog legal (the CARB list will only grow regardless political winds)
Four Automakers Join California In Leading Charge To Spurn Trump Gas Mileage Regulation
This could be one example:
L96 6.0L 4WD CONNECT AND CRUISE W/4L70-E
If performed by a vendor member of the mud community I understand the total cost for a turn-key transplant will quickly get into the $30K's... yes, I know, that's a lot of dough.

Yet, please take into account these days people are willing to put over a $60K for a loaded Tacoma TRD or Jeep Gladiator. Not to mention $55K for a loaded Jeep Rubicon. Either case, when accessorized, the final sum can get to the low $70K....and the sales figures for these rigs are in the ten's on thousands! ...and the current demand is outpacing the supply.
Yes, I know, it's crazy!
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Has a Rugged, Split Personality

Therefore, and from this perspective, $30K, $35K even $40K for a new lease in life, with factory-backed warranty for the complete powertrain of our beloved 80 isn't that crazy.
The evidence suggest there's an unserved market niche. Probably we are not the targeted demographic group. That's all.
Cheers!
PS.- I'll get charcoal canister from Joey when available :)

June 1st CARB changed rules for the e-rod swaps. No more Chevy V8s for post 75 Toyota trucks and getting a BAR sticker. That ship has sailed.

^ I'll have what this guy's having and make it a double with extra rainbow sprinkles.

😂:beer::beer:Hope we can enjoy one of these soon! BTW, awesome build you did.:cheers:

June 1st CARB changed rules for the e-rod swaps. No more Chevy V8s for post 75 Toyota trucks and getting a BAR sticker. That ship has sailed.
Thanks Joey!...I guess we'll keep wheeling to the bitter end
Cheers!

Keep in mind people driving 60-$70k rigs like that are also offered shiny 60 month sign your name financing.

For the rest of us to swallow even $20k up front out of pocket is a huge difference.
You are right. There's a big fad these days around the "adventure ready" mantra. People will sign 60 months, or whatever, to get one of these rigs to look cool or whatever. It happened before.
Not to :deadhorse: I was hoping that, for old timers like me, there could be, somewhere, a middle ground between the $100K plus TLC's and a DIY enthusiast fellow mudder. I took as starting reference the GM combo of reference, which is priced at $17K....at the crate. (Slee's transplant used to cost around $25K back in 2015)
So I did a little extrapolation. That's all.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom