100 owners who live in climates of dry 100°F++, what are your running temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody in the 100+ weather switched to a Land tank fan clutch?
Will those fit/work properly on a 2uz 100? It seems like if they would he would advertise them as working on a 100.

Last edited:
Bit of a late reply (browsing threads now that I have an OBD2 reader). Seem to be consistently in the high 190s F, be it steady state cruise (60ish mph) or stopped idling with a/c on max, with external temps in the low 100s inland southern california. dealer serviced by the book by first owner, and at an indie over the last 35k by me.

1. My understanding is that thermostats have a wax inside them and open and close as the wax expands and contracts with heat. This would not make an audible sound.

2. The user who installed a lower temp thermostat may have a radiator and fan that will cool his engine even lower (than oem target temp) in the summer but my guess is that his thermostat is staying open allowing constant flow of coolant thru the engine. May be tough to understand but the cooling system is engineered to work on planet earth 12 months a year. If it was 140f your current cooling system would likely fail because it simply can’t expel enough heat from the engine.

Depends on which year model of the hundy. Early years runs cooler at 185* than the newer VVTI engines at 195*. 203* is not uncommon for the VVTI engines.

1. My understanding is that thermostats have a wax inside them and open and close as the wax expands and contracts with heat. This would not make an audible sound.
Correct on the wax thermostat mechanism! Could it be he's hearing the fan clutch spring (I think I've seen photos of a spiral spring)?

A little off topic, other than ScanGauge what other real time monitoring scanner would you guys recommend?

OBDLink MX+, it's one of the few bluetooth scanners that works well for iOS, and has its own software (Android and iOS). The rest tend to be WiFi. It's pricey (about 80$ on amazon) but lets you read manufacturer specific PIDs (trans temp, TPS sensors, AHC pressures, etc.

OBDLink MX+, it's one of the few bluetooth scanners that works well for iOS, and has its own software (Android and iOS). The rest tend to be WiFi. It's pricey (about 80$ on amazon) but lets you read manufacturer specific PIDs (trans temp, TPS sensors, AHC pressures, etc.

Thank you! The WiFi model I have is a joke.

200-210F with old radiator. 195-200 with new radiator.

another win for non vvti ;)
Almost certainly has to due with emissions and if you really care you can install a colder thermostat. But it actually doesn't matter and the VVT wins with 40 extra HP, you can have your 10F.

I think I'll put my '06 LX Tstat in my '99 LC and get an extra 40 horsies and 10*. I'll be in like Flynn.:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom