My DIY No Weld tire carrier with Stock Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are saying that if you pull hard at the top of the tire there is no give or bending? Or if you have the tire down (sticking straight out from the rig like in one of the pictures) and step on it that there will be no bending? That would be my concern.

So you are saying that if you pull hard at the top of the tire there is no give or bending? Or if you have the tire down (sticking straight out from the rig like in one of the pictures) and step on it that there will be no bending? That would be my concern.

There's some play in the hinge assembly but no bending of the bumper, at least not that you can tell with the naked eye

Looks like you got it all figured out and it is going to fit your needs. Well done and enjoy!

I'd just keep an eye on that hinge. Thats the weak point. Much beefier tire carriers have failed. I'm sure it will work quite well for awhile, but that constant movement will wear it out with the weight from the tire.

Nice work.

I'd just keep an eye on that hinge. Thats the weak point. Much beefier tire carriers have failed. I'm sure it will work quite well for awhile, but that constant movement will wear it out with the weight from the tire.

Nice work.

Thanks! That is definitely where my concern lies. The tire carriers I have seen fail typically use a trailer spindle and bearing setup, and mine uses a 5/8 hitch pin that is very strong and cheap/easy to replace. When the tire is up, I actually have 2 hitch pins supporting it, so I don't think I will have a risk of catastrophic failure unless I just never check it for wear or damage. The hinge assembly is rated for a 500lb wheelchair carrier.

The nice thing about this design is that everything is easily replaceable so I can swap out worn parts easily

Any updates on this? How did it hold up over time?

Any updates on this? How did it hold up over time?
3.5 years and 20k miles later it is still holding up very well. It has taken a few hits offroad too. I will be replacing it soon with a swingout though. I now have a welder and the ability to fabricate something that is better. After 3 years I've gotten tired of how far this sticks out and how it limits my access to the rear cargo area.

It has definitely served its purpose, and will be cannibalized for parts when I build my next setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom