Builds VDJ76L-RKMNYV - Cleopatra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Manage to made some progress this past weekend ..

1. Successfully hack my 4WD / Lockers ECU so now I have lockers when ever I want !

20190624170036-5985f1b5-me.jpg

2. Finally complete the installation of these fancy battery poles which allow me to power more stuff decently

20190624170138-5556b0b5-me.jpg

3. added a ground bar

20190624170129-6d97e4b9-me.jpg

4. Cadillac horn set 4 tone note

20190624170119-d9183dad-me.jpg

5. These right here took me a while to wire on and to install 6 circuits ( relay ) and few fused ..

20190624170107-963ce52f-me.jpg

6. Tweeter .... my final installation, this it's how I decide to manage the lack of surface mount from the Pioneer tweeter setup, shame on them ..

20190624170053-4bad00d4-me.jpg

it really took me a while to made my mind on where to run them and then fab some bases to mount them, far too long, guess I was never fast and now I'm even slower.

20190624170045-e53df9b7-me.jpg

This is a nice truck David.. hopefully Tencha does not get neglected though :)

This is a nice truck David.. hopefully Tencha does not get neglected though :)

Right now sadly she is ... I'm swamped at office hope that will change next year and she will get used for her intended purpose

Another project that took me way more than it should ... it's finally " done " ( switch controlled )

20190708102913-3d025fea-me.jpg

20190708102907-2a45da69-me.jpg

3. The rear tail lights that works are on the bumper .. the other ones don't work ? crazy.

Nice VDJ76!

As a fellow 76 owner, the reason Toyota did that on the tail lights is because of Japanese laws. The logic here is that the spare tire on the door obscures the rear side lamps (brake, turning, etc.) so they moved all of the lamp functions to the bumper. I don't like it either. I'm planning to change mine to the old HDJ style with the orange, red & clear plastic as well.

Nice VDJ76!

As a fellow 76 owner, the reason Toyota did that on the tail lights is because of Japanese laws. The logic here is that the spare tire on the door obscures the rear side lamps (brake, turning, etc.) so they moved all of the lamp functions to the bumper. I don't like it either. I'm planning to change mine to the old HDJ style with the orange, red & clear plastic as well.

That’s funny since they started doing that in Europe in 1987 and the ones I see there now sitting on the export lots have them back up in the body .

It may be that the regulations have changed since then (EU has consolidated regulations, etc.)

It may be that the regulations have changed since then (EU has consolidated regulations, etc.)

You can't even register them new in Europe anymore unless you go trough an importer who does a bunch of modifictaions to them. We have hundreds of them sitting on sales lots in Belgium and the Netherlands but these are all for the NGO's and mining companies and are sold for export only.

Toyota killed the 70 series in Europe long time ago and even stopped importing VDJ200's like in 2014, it is so sad to see but the dealerships that where doing so good in the eighties and the nineties are now in such bad shape that most of them have to offer some Chinese cars to keep a float and they are only 1/4 of the size they where 25 years ago. Toyota can't compete in the car business in Europe against the Germans and the French because they are always one step ahead on them knowing the future regulations. I think in another decade or so a new Toyota will be a rare sight in Europe !

The Land Cruiser ( and world ) as we ( at least me ) used to know it's fading away from us .. ( me )

The Land Cruiser ( and world ) as we ( at least me ) used to know it's fading away from us .. ( me )

Hello,

Sad but true. In many places, 70 Series are becoming a disappearing breed, just like the 40 Series before them.

Juan

Hello,

Sad but true. In many places, 70 Series are becoming a disappearing breed, just like the 40 Series before them.

Juan

The 35 year production run of the 70 Series is surpassed only by the VW Beetle. A remarkable achievement.

The 35 year production run of the 70 Series is surpassed only by the VW Beetle. A remarkable achievement.

This will be like " enjoy while still last .. "

@Tapage can you please share where you got the battery poles

Well overdue upgrade ( well upgrade in my books )

20190715103147-b7bbdd8d-me.jpg

20190715103136-169ead87-me.jpg

I can confirm that our guess / investigation ( yours ? ) @cruiseroutfit was correct, new spindle was required in order to upgrade .. stock spindle it's too short ..

Swap it's pretty much straight forward .. open, replace spindle, and assemble it all again. I use the trail-gear nut-lock washer setup instead of the factory star washer setup. Adjutst it to 28lb-in.

I did this as a peace of mind project since I don't trust in the auto hubs and in the hope to clear my new tire/wheel combo ..

In the rear since I have 2" wheel spacers ( correct rear track vs front ) was no issue ..

20190715103119-e1f33344-me.jpg

as you can see the method wheels have clear the up in the inner part of the wheel ...

BTW true 35" on stock suspension ..

20190715103126-0dd547c6-me.jpg

the problem in the front is, wheels don't clear ( kinda expected ) the hub ( actually they don't pass the studs )

on a related note, hub stud longer thread must be out or in the hub ?

you can see the marks here

20190715103157-b36502ab-me.jpg

the issue is this " lib " on the outher part of the wheel hub .. so I either add spacers on the front ( not likely ) or machine this part of the wheel .. ( taking comments here )

20190715103207-a515b5cc-me.jpg

Well overdue upgrade ( well upgrade in my books )

20190715103147-b7bbdd8d-me.jpg

20190715103136-169ead87-me.jpg

I can confirm that our guess / investigation ( yours ? ) @cruiseroutfit was correct, new spindle was required in order to upgrade .. stock spindle it's too short ..

Swap it's pretty much straight forward .. open, replace spindle, and assemble it all again. I use the trail-gear nut-lock washer setup instead of the factory star washer setup. Adjutst it to 28lb-in.

I did this as a peace of mind project since I don't trust in the auto hubs and in the hope to clear my new tire/wheel combo ..

In the rear since I have 2" wheel spacers ( correct rear track vs front ) was no issue ..

20190715103119-e1f33344-me.jpg

as you can see the method wheels have clear the up in the inner part of the wheel ...

BTW true 35" on stock suspension ..

20190715103126-0dd547c6-me.jpg

the problem in the front is, wheels don't clear ( kinda expected ) the hub ( actually they don't pass the studs )

on a related note, hub stud longer thread must be out or in the hub ?

you can see the marks here

20190715103157-b36502ab-me.jpg

the issue is this " lib " on the outher part of the wheel hub .. so I either add spacers on the front ( not likely ) or machine this part of the wheel .. ( taking comments here )

20190715103207-a515b5cc-me.jpg

Did you need to replace the spindle or the birfield ? I tried to install a set of those Aisin free wheels on my axle that came with flanges from the factory and it turns out my birfields are like a mm thicker then the ones that came with freewheels.

Did you need to replace the spindle or the birfield ? I tried to install a set of those Aisin free wheels on my axle that came with flanges from the factory and it turns out my birfields are like a mm thicker then the ones that came with freewheels.

Only spindle ..

Birfs are the stock ones .. and actually very tight fit ( gotta use a thinner C-Clip at the hub )

Hell Tap, I missed this one, well done and many happy miles.

The rear light issue here in South Africa?? Well firstly they had to put lights on the bumper to conform to local law, and most surrounding countries "borrow" the standards from us. So A lot of the earlier vehicles had both working, then they got lazy and only had light bulbs in the bumper lights then they stopped putting wires and sockets into the body lamps. EXCEPT in my car (Hz76) they kept the reverse lamps in the body (and only wires for these lamps) because theoretically the law does not require reverse lamps here. This phenomena applied to all Mr. T cruisers and pickups which originally came out with body mounted lights.
Seems like other places had similar problems, and ja, the EU as well.
Getting mine sorted soon, we have arcehole cops in neighbouring countries who would love to use the "non working" lights as an excuse to fine, or try and bribe you.

You have probably also noticed that as the wiring demands have increased, Mr. T has hidden a shed load of funny little electrical relays and controllers in every hidey hole he could think of. Bit of a pain when thing go wrong, or get old.

Hey, did you get the H152 box with the longer 5th gear, or is that still just our Aussie friends??

Those boxes under the front seats? Standard or after market?? I have not seen them listed as an accessory yet?

Anyway, my gearbox exchange was a huge success and I still get a grin on my chin every time I drive. So yes, the 70's still remain a little hairy chested and basic, but a lot of fun. I just hope the “Crumple Zone" police stay off the 70's case for another few years, but it's a matter of time really.

Hey, did you get the H152 box with the longer 5th gear, or is that still just our Aussie friends??

Only for Aussie folks and for a Price .. ( not cheap tho ) you can buy it new from Mr. T also not cheap .. my cheap solution so far would be the 35"

Those boxes under the front seats? Standard or after market?? I have not seen them listed as an accessory yet?

Awesome customer service ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom