show me your axe... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious, what brand/size axe do you carry with you and why?

I have a 28" Woodworker Axe from Helco Werk that i carry in my rig for splitting logs, felling smaller trees, etc.

Rb1SQVal.jpg

Fiskars

20190712_191633.jpg

Here are my 3 axes. One gransfors and two Husqvarna. As much as I love my gransfors I wouldn't buy another one. It was my first axe and when I went to buy a second smaller hatchet the prices for the gransfors had gone up quite a bit so I started doing some research. After extensive research I learned that Husqvarna axes are made by hults bruks which is also a very reputable swedish axe maker. I read lots of reviews saying that Husqvarna axes were every bit as good as either gransfors or hults bruks axes except that they were not finished as well. So I pulled the trigger and ordered two different Husqvarna axes and I have been super pleased with them. The only difference I can tell between the two Husqvarna and the gransfors was as the internet proclaimed and the finish wasn't as good. The Husqvarna handles were actually a better or more straight grain hickory than my gransfors but they needed to be sealed so I gave them a couple coats of linspeed oil, problem solved. They didnt come quite as sharp as the gransfors but I remedied that with a stone and 20 minutes. I enjoy sharpening my tools anywase so that wasn't a big deal. The polish on the heads wasn't as good as the gransfors either but for tools that I actually use quite often I wasn't to concerned about it so I just left them the way they came. I have been super happy with my Husqvarna axes and I think they were a great deal for the price.

I keep this in the door of the van.
It is a great little hatchet and comes with the magnesium stick that fits in the handle.
I also have a 24" bow saw for larger trees.

20190713_212237.jpg
20190713_212301.jpg

Broke my Fiskars after years of relatively light service. I was chopping into an admittedly hard chunk of firewood but still surprised it broke. Fortunately Fiskars is honoring their lifetime warranty and the replacement is in the mail.

Capture.jpg
least they are replacing it. i wouldnt of thought they had a hollow handle

@mryanangel Thanks for the tip on the Husqvarna! I had my eye on a Stihl for a while, but your post made me rethink it. Amazon seems to have made an error, and I scored a 26" multipurpose Husqvarna for $59. I just received it this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the quality and craftsmanship seem great. I see what you mean about the handle. I think with a light sanding and some oil it's going to have a nice feel and hold up well. I'm actually excited to finish chopping out the stump in my backyard tomorrow where my shed is going. Cheers!

26” husky. It’s been reworked a bit to include reprofiling the bit to be thinner. That took literally days but was worth it. I can honestly say if I had to head out into the woods and could take only 1 tool it would probably be this over a knife. It’s big enough to fell smaller hardwoods (10-14 inches) but small enough to fit in a pack and make traps, pegs, spindles, etc. I think 19-26 inch axes are just super handy. I take other axes sometimes but this one is my baby.

E7D658A7-20C7-489B-A32E-C316F3263033.jpeg

E1E83BA6-2D7B-4A12-A313-C9EB528DC926.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom