Running 8.25R16 Haulmax ATT304 on a 47 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

Been doing a lot of reading and research about the pro's and con's off splits and made a decision to put a set of 8.25r16 Haulmax ATT304s onto the original 40 series split rims with hubcaps.
(Found this to be a great article)

I've been having bit of a hard time finding info regarding the inner tubes people purchase/buy
I usually run low pressures (down to 12psi) and in the past i've had problems where the (cheaper Chinese made) inner tube would pinch and develop a slow leak.
I heard that there are better options with much thicker inner tube - can someone please point me in the right direction where i can find more info or better yet suggest where i can purchase the thicker tubes for the 8.25R16 tyres (which could pose a problem as most would sell the 7.5R16 size)?
I don't mind paying that little bit extra now to avoid the problem of flat tubes and repairs later that could have been avoided.

Also, i've read that the valve stem is another interesting topic that requires some knowledge
I'm i right to assume that i need a TR75A tube that is off-centre for the stock 40s rims?

If i've missed some links, please post them below

TIA

Thanks @serenity
That's one off the reasons i've decided to run them also after reading his thread and build :)

I was looking at tall and skinny but didn't want to run too wide off a tyre
Also, didn't want to run bi/ply tyres for a daily driver.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on buying good quality tubes

Thanks again for the comment!

Firestone are great tubes... I think i have carlisle's in two right now... I run tr150 offset stems

They are bendable stems (rubber over brass) ... i like these as they stay kinda close to the rim and are not as exposed as the metal ones

You will also need flaps ... also off center ... did not see you mention them

remember also to get radial tubes for the radial tires... do not use bias tubes... check the inside of the tires for any belt wire hanging down that can chafe the tube (do not rub with your bare hand ... it will hurt when u fine one ) also check for stickers on the inside of the tire .... this has been an increasing annoyance as whatever glue they use now days deteriorates the tube and will cause a leak.

you can get also tr75's or tr177's for the valve they are metal no rubber cover... the 177 is a tad longer than the 75's

HiRun are not all that good and would avoid them... anything u get from a big box store will not be all that great... you should do fine at a local truck/commercial tyre store... I used to have a gcr tire center... but... has closed down... need to find another shop myself

Firestone are great tubes... I think i have carlisle's in two right now... I run tr150 offset stems

They are bendable stems (rubber over brass) ... i like these as they stay kinda close to the rim and are not as exposed as the metal ones

You will also need flaps ... also off center ... did not see you mention them

remember also to get radial tubes for the radial tires... do not use bias tubes... check the inside of the tires for any belt wire hanging down that can chafe the tube (do not rub with your bare hand ... it will hurt when u fine one ) also check for stickers on the inside of the tire .... this has been an increasing annoyance as whatever glue they use now days deteriorates the tube and will cause a leak.

you can get also tr75's or tr177's for the valve they are metal no rubber cover... the 177 is a tad longer than the 75's

HiRun are not all that good and would avoid them... anything u get from a big box store will not be all that great... you should do fine at a local truck/commercial tyre store... I used to have a gcr tire center... but... has closed down... need to find another shop myself

Thank you JohnnyC for the info and the tips!!

When you say flaps, do you mean sleeves that sits between the rim and the tube to provide protection?
What are HiRun?

I've had many different tyres/rims including a few sets of beadlocks etc over the past years but I'm still learning regarding split rims and tubes. Not many people choose to run them around the city/suburbs/weekend warriors but i've been doing research regarding outback travel and i'm definitely keen to give them a go.

The only exposure i've had with them so far was when i got them originally on my car and ran them for awhile as the tread was good. When i deflated them to 14psi in sand, i had a couple of them go flat as i believe they may have been pinched (my other car weighs around 3.8T or perhaps some sand got into the bead/rim and rubbed the tube).
I then brought some beadlocks and 35s and never looked back onto the splits.....until now (hence the questions and looking for suggestions and info).
Speaking of sand/mud getting into the rim/bead, i've heard that some people choose to run a bead of silicone around the ring and where it splits - just wondering what your thoughts are on this?!

The reason i want to use them is the simplicity and the fact i'll be heading into the Simpson dessert over some very hardcore tracks and i won't be needing any mud tyres or big fat 35s.
The ATT 304s are a true 34" tyre and have thick sidewalls so i'm keen to give them a go.

Thanks again for your reply!

I dont really have anything to add as i just ran the tubes that i had when i was running 31" coopers on split rims.

Hi brisveganbj42
Love your build on the pig BTW!!

Just wondering what was the lowest you deflated them to and if you had any problems or dramas with the tyres?
I got quoted around $240ea for the tyres and tubes (that come with the tyre) which i think it's a pretty good deal considering other options.
Do you know if these can also be run without tubes by any chance?

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback on my pig build.. life has got in the way so no progress since the start of the year unfortunately. I've only wheeled once on my 304's and I didnt have a compressor so only aired down to 20-25psi so they bagged out.. running them at real low pressures and you'll have similar issues to any other tyre that run a tube.
$240/each inc tubes fitted is a good price i think i paid $295 for tyres and fitting using my existing tubes so you've got a good price there.. I also have a set of BJ42 LX rims which are running 34" LTB swampers, these don't run a tube and because I used to run these offroad under 10psi I worked with the tyrefitter to sikaflex the bead... this is on a non-split rim though. If you were doing it to a split rim you'd need to make sure its sealed well, and even then i'm not sure how it'd work without a tube. Finding rims similar to my LX would be your first step but I dont see why you couldn't run them without tubes, its all down to the rim.

I've currently got mine on my FZJ80 and they are doing great for daily duties.. so they should be fine on your hj47

These should be tough tyres for an outback trek at 14ply but make sure you have adequate repair kits and at least 2 spare tyres for piece of mind... no doubt you've got this covered! :)

HiRun is a brand of Chinese crappy tubes :meh:

I have been trying to find a good 8.25r16 here in the states... it is hard ... I may be picking up a set of xzl that I have been eyeing ... they are a true tall and skinny tire ... awesome size for the cruiser

I have heard people call the flap other things ... liner ... band... these are the sleeve I believe you are thinking ... here is a picture (from another mudder @DieseFumes)
You can see the flap in the picture under the tube (lower left corner)
896A4525-A0A6-45A0-B419-2E60AE8864E5.jpeg

The flap will also help to reduce sand dirt from chafing the tube

I run silicone on my splits ... after it’s been mounted using finger applying it around the split in the ring... to mainly prevent water intrusion (and sand/dirt)... It does work well and does not make it any more difficult to separate the ring.

I have run between 12-14 or so psi for off road

HiRun is a brand of Chinese crappy tubes :meh:

I have been trying to find a good 8.25r16 here in the states... it is hard ... I may be picking up a set of xzl that I have been eyeing ... they are a true tall and skinny tire ... awesome size for the cruiser

I have heard people call the flap other things ... liner ... band... these are the sleeve I believe you are thinking ... here is a picture (from another mudder @DieseFumes)
You can see the flap in the picture under the tube (lower left corner) View attachment 2014198

The flap will also help to reduce sand dirt from chafing the tube

I run silicone on my splits ... after it’s been mounted using finger applying it around the split in the ring... to mainly prevent water intrusion (and sand/dirt)... It does work well and does not make it any more difficult to separate the ring.

I have run between 12-14 or so psi for off road

Thanks Johnny

I also like the XZL tyres but are near impossible to find in Oz....especially since the Army has the monopoly on them so it's usually a special order and special request which means $$$
I did find a tyre dealer but it was a 8 week wait and they were $900ea so decided to look at different options.

The flap is the inner tube protector.....thanks for the clarification and pic

I think i'll bite the bullet and try the 304s.....worse case scenario i'll sell them and get the 7.50R16s instead

Could you recommend a good tube repair "kit" with patches etc
I've read that it can be a hit and a miss when repairing the tubes if you don't clean the area well and if the glue you use isn't correct that the patch won't "stick"

If you have any good tutorials or links/reading material you can point me towards, that would be much appreciated :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback on my pig build.. life has got in the way so no progress since the start of the year unfortunately. I've only wheeled once on my 304's and I didnt have a compressor so only aired down to 20-25psi so they bagged out.. running them at real low pressures and you'll have similar issues to any other tyre that run a tube.
$240/each inc tubes fitted is a good price i think i paid $295 for tyres and fitting using my existing tubes so you've got a good price there.. I also have a set of BJ42 LX rims which are running 34" LTB swampers, these don't run a tube and because I used to run these offroad under 10psi I worked with the tyrefitter to sikaflex the bead... this is on a non-split rim though. If you were doing it to a split rim you'd need to make sure its sealed well, and even then i'm not sure how it'd work without a tube. Finding rims similar to my LX would be your first step but I dont see why you couldn't run them without tubes, its all down to the rim.

I've currently got mine on my FZJ80 and they are doing great for daily duties.. so they should be fine on your hj47

These should be tough tyres for an outback trek at 14ply but make sure you have adequate repair kits and at least 2 spare tyres for piece of mind... no doubt you've got this covered! :)

Slow and steady does it mate.....i have a zook in bits that's been sitting like that for over 3yrs so i can feel your pain :)

There isn't much info about the 304s out there unfortunately and you're the only person i've been able to find through forums that has the tyres on a 4WD hence the questions.
I've been running Toyo Open Country MT's in both 33s and also 35" on the original 105 series rims and also on Allied Savanah beadlocks.....fantastic tyres but don't need the MT's for the dessert and daily road duties as it attracts too much attention from the boys in the blue plus i really love to give the 40 series the original look with splits and hubcaps so no deadlocks or fancy rims :)
There aren't too many true skinny 34" tyres out there unfortunately (that aren't aggressive and won't wear out in 20k)

The price of $240 was just for the tyres....i'll fit them myself and then get them balanced so it could be around $260 which i still think it's a great price.

I'll get them ordered in a couple of weeks and get them fitted once i sell the old tyres/rims and see how they go :)

Thanks again and keep up the build with the PIG :)

For a kit I do not know ... the rubber cement is best in the smaller tubes as it does loose its adherentness (is that a word :meh: )

I had a large glass jar that I picked up from a truck/commercial tire repair shop ... worked great for several years but then it faltered in the 5th year I had it?

The small one/2 use tubes work out great for in the truck kit

I pick them up at a farm store by me ... do not know the brand

The patches I have a selection ... got a kit of them from the farm store as well as a few side wall repair patches

True the xzl are VERY expensive ... I can only afford the military ‘take offs’ (used) I can get them from Canada at 50-75% tread depth ... or ‘new’ take offs with the nubs still on here in USA

You may want to check military surplus near you in oz there is a chance you can get the as well

50% usually run $90
75% $120
New take offs $235

Usd

It's somewhat different here in Oz regarding Military Surplus stores but thanks for the heads up regarding the tubes and the glue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom