Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems this may be a non-issue now, they changed the course to exclude Black Bear and Ophir due to the potential of snow on the trails.
Wimps. Good for us though.

I was actually just thinking about installing solar in it. It seems like a better and much much quieter option especially in a small campground like at HIH
Do it! I've never had a generator. My popup doesn't have many electrical loads though. I always have a full battery at the end of the day with one of these, even with some cloud cover and shaded camping spots:

Amazon product ASIN B00BFCNFRM

Seems this may be a non-issue now, they changed the course to exclude Black Bear and Ophir due to the potential of snow on the trails.

They changed it because they said they heard from San Miguel County Road & Bridge that Black Bear won't be open until August. 2019 Telluride 100 Route Change

Can someone recommend a handheld ham radio that I can "monitor" trail announcements with? What frequencies will the trail leaders typically broadcast on?

BAOFENG UV5R is a pretty cheap and great little radio for monitoring. Programming can be a pain but if you decide to go that route and get the programming cable, I can walk you through programming in repeaters and settings. I can send you my settings file with channels pre loaded :)

We’ll likely be simplex (no repeater) 146.40MHz or 446.50MHz and depending on reception i’ll probably hang around a local repeater if I can get to one.

BAOFENG UV5R is a pretty cheap and great little radio for monitoring. Programming can be a pain but if you decide to go that route and get the programming cable, I can walk you through programming in repeaters and settings. I can send you my settings file with channels pre loaded :)

We’ll likely be simplex (no repeater) 146.40MHz or 446.50MHz and depending on reception i’ll probably hang around a local repeater if I can get to one.

Yup! What you said. Also I'll be available to program any radios that I can. I'll have Chirp and the Baofeng cable. I will also have Icom stuff as well.

I see there are two repeaters in the area. One on Kendall Mtn and one on Engineering Mtn. Anyone have experience with them in the area? Thanks!

Very cool & considerate (gas generators suck around campsites)

Yeti 1000 Lithium Portable Power Station / Solar Generator | Goal Zero. They have open box units (yeti 1000 (100aH) for about $725- with no solar panel you can charge it up in your car while out wheeling.

Seriously considering the GoalZero400 for HIH9. Won't have enough time to build out my electrical system for my trailer with all the other stuff I have to do. Really just need enough to power a few LED lights and maybe a small fan or two. Thinking this in the tongue box on my trailer would be perfect short-term solution with their 50W solar panel.

They changed it because they said they heard from San Miguel County Road & Bridge that Black Bear won't be open until August. 2019 Telluride 100 Route Change
Allegedly. Black Bear draws so much traffic into Telluride and is such a tourism draw, we are betting that they get it open prior to us and FJ Summit. We are particularly big, but FJS is.

Had @orangefj45 install his 3.1:1 t case gears and his 10% underdrive gears for this trip. If anyone wants to try them find me in camp.

The underdrive has completely compensated for my 35s. Feels like I'm on stock tires again.

I would love to discuss this further with you and possibly take a lap around camp or drive a few minutes up the hill. I've got a 4spd running 33s with 4.88s and it revs high on the highway. Most of the time I am towing our trailer, but the lower low and reduced rpm at speed have me intrigued if this would be the right solution for me.

What year is your truck and did you regear the diffs as well and what size tires are you running?

Many thanks!

you have a lot of faith that we actually ever know we are doing, let alone when we are doing it.........seriously though, we will likely have this info by HIH9
i-believe-in-you-i-also-believe-in-bigfoot-so-32475924.png

I would love to discuss this further with you and possibly take a lap around camp or drive a few minutes up the hill. I've got a 4spd running 33s with 4.88s and it revs high on the highway. Most of the time I am towing our trailer, but the lower low and reduced rpm at speed have me intrigued if this would be the right solution for me.

What year is your truck and did you regear the diffs as well and what size tires are you running?

Many thanks!

Mine is a 98 with 35s on heavy Tundra steelies. I have stock gearing in the diffs. So far it's been great on the freeway. Taking it to the dunes this weekend. Not a great test for low gears but at least we'll be in the dirt.

Nice part of the underdrive is that it works on both the high and the low range which makes that 3.1 more like 3.4:1.

Seriously considering the GoalZero400 for HIH9. Won't have enough time to build out my electrical system for my trailer with all the other stuff I have to do. Really just need enough to power a few LED lights and maybe a small fan or two. Thinking this in the tongue box on my trailer would be perfect short-term solution with their 50W solar panel.

I have the Yeti 400 and a 100 watt solar panel. Never used either of them yet though! I am very sure it will be enough to run a fan, lights and charge my Apple devices if needed.

I have the Yeti 400 and a 100 watt solar panel. Never used either of them yet though! I am very sure it will be enough to run a fan, lights and charge my Apple devices if needed.

Why do you need a fan at HIH?

Probably be fine. Did you do the math on the Amp-Hour draws of your devices and does the box hold enough to provide what you need? Run everything you can off the 12V ports to save juice. The DC-AC converter will draw additional power beyond whatever you plug into it if it's turned on.

Why do you need a fan at HIH?

Probably be fine. Did you do the math on the Amp-Hour draws of your devices and does the box hold enough to provide what you need? Run everything you can off the 12V ports to save juice. The DC-AC converter will draw additional power beyond whatever you plug into it if it's turned on.

I use a fan inside the tent to try to cut down on condensation. And noise, but I usually use my phone for the noise.

Had @orangefj45 install his 3.1:1 t case gears and his 10% underdrive gears for this trip. If anyone wants to try them find me in camp.

The underdrive has completely compensated for my 35s. Feels like I'm on stock tires again.

Thanks again matt, appreciate you coming this far to have us work on your 100.

Hoping to make it to the event in 2020!

Georg

Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America.

If anyone is sending me a friend request for the FB group for the “gift club” for Chris and Stan, can I ask that you send me either a message here or there as well please? I want to make sure that the requests that I am getting are actual people. I’ve already had a couple questionable friend requests...the internet is totally a safe place! 😬

Ophir Pass is officially open. California is clear from
The Hurricane side to the summit. 2-3 days and California is expected to be cleared all the way to Animas Forks. Pics 1-3 are California. 2nd pic is from saddle of California looking down towards the Hurricane Pass Road. 4th pic is Ophir just over the summit and descending towards Ophir.

The crews clearing these passes are incredible.

Stony Pass was closed at Pole Creek today. Water flows were super high and someone in a Jeep attempted a crossing. They were swept downstream. SAR teams have been on sight all day.

6F82EAE9-8631-4B64-B297-721F453AD3C5.jpeg

1BA96862-E6A9-46F1-A3D8-58D530293952.jpeg

CD3A6176-BC5A-4CB2-8CCB-743297E23EC8.jpeg

04E94ED3-C145-4BCD-9D08-5E5FB01E41A3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom