Soft open lower tailgate for LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you know if it’s the same part number?

Sorry I don't. In fact I was going to install one myself when I saw that the 2018's came with it. I just never got around to it.

2 Minutes, 30 sec. Notice how it does not drop harshly all the way down under its own weight.

I wonder how it would do with the torsion bar removed and weight of significant items stored in the tailgate... My tailgate storage mod adds SIGNIFICANT weight. Would be great to even partially dampen it.

I wonder how it would do with the torsion bar removed and weight of significant items stored in the tailgate... My tailgate storage mod adds SIGNIFICANT weight. Would be great to even partially dampen it.

The torsion bar actually helps slow down the lower tail gate. Without the damper, tool set and interior panel, the lower tail gate does not fully lower on it's own weight because of the torsion bar.

The torsion bar actually helps slow down the lower tail gate. Without the damper, tool set and interior panel, the lower tail gate does not fully lower on it's own weight because of the torsion bar.

Right.
But in my case, the little torsion bar has to be removed since it awkwaefdly crosses the main cavity within the tailgate storage. Frankly, it didn’t do much to slow it anyway—maybe due to 10 years of twisting.

I just finished installing the damper and believe there's a good chance that one could purchase a second hinge and damper to install on the passenger side. I think there's just enough room to make that work. However, the caveat is that I would expect it to take quite a bit of force to open the tailgate.

Here's a super quick video of the tailgate opening.

Coincidentally, I also installed my damper on my 2014 this past Friday. Finally!

I used Part Numbers:
66120-60021 (Hinge) and 67028-60010 (Damper)

2019-01-25 15.22.00.jpg

2019-01-25 15.44.11.jpg

2019-01-25 15.50.47.jpg

2019-01-25 16.36.33.jpg

2019-01-25 16.36.37.jpg

Keeping this thread alive. Just did this today. (2013 LC, ordered the hinge, damper and bolt). Took about an hour to install, just me -- total keyboard commando/rookie wrench.

Couple of notes:
1. Yup: damper bolt nut is welded in the tailgate.
2. I used a Dremel with a small bit to drill from the "inside"; in the middle of the nut. Then I expanded the hole from the outside.
3. I had to "clock" the damper. When I first installed it, I could not lift/close the tailgate. I separated the damper from it's base; used a screwdriver thru the hole to lever the damper (while the damper was on the hinge pin). Reassembled the damper and it works like a charm.

Any suggestion on where to source the bolt? I ordered the damper from EBay (same seller), I tried a couple places online for the hinge and the bolt but everyone was out of stock. Turns out the only dealership with a part was local, but they didn’t have the bolt. Any suggestion on where to source the bolt?

A Toyota part would be nice.. but is there any reason a normal 10mm bolt won’t work?

Any suggestion on where to source the bolt? I ordered the damper from EBay (same seller), I tried a couple places online for the hinge and the bolt but everyone was out of stock. Turns out the only dealership with a part was local, but they didn’t have the bolt. Any suggestion on where to source the bolt?

A Toyota part would be nice.. but is there any reason a normal 10mm bolt won’t work?
I got the bolt and hinge here Genuine OEM Bolt, Flange W/Washe Part# 91673-A0622 Fits Lexus: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | OEM Vehicle Parts

The bolt was $.67 or something.
The only concern i'd have about a random 10mm bolt is that it's the same thread pitch as the nut that's welded inside the tailgate.

I got the bolt and hinge here Genuine OEM Bolt, Flange W/Washe Part# 91673-A0622 Fits Lexus: Up To 35% Off On Every Order And Guaranteed Fit When You Enter Your VIN | OEM Vehicle Parts

The bolt was $.67 or something.
The only concern i'd have about a random 10mm bolt is that it's the same thread pitch as the nut that's welded inside the tailgate.

Thanks! I have the same concern, but I suspect it's a standard bolt. I wouldn't want to force it if the bolt wouldn't thread into the nut pretty easily. I tried Toyota Parts Deal and they were back ordered without an expected date. I agree that the cost of the bolt is no big deal - it's the $18 shipping cost that keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Thanks! I have the same concern, but I suspect it's a standard bolt. I wouldn't want to force it if the bolt wouldn't thread into the nut pretty easily. I tried Toyota Parts Deal and they were back ordered without an expected date. I agree that the cost of the bolt is no big deal - it's the. $18 shipping cost that keeps me from pulling the trigger.
If you have a bolt handy, its super easy to pop out the plastic on the tailgate and see if itll thread up with the nut.

Agree on the shipping. I ordered the hinge there at the same time, so that helped mask the sting :)

I pushed the tab all the way in before marking the hole. Just as a check I put my hand inside and surprise! Found a welded nut in there!

View attachment 1575939

Going back to drilling the hole. I started with a very small bit to make a pilot hole, to make sure I was lined up correctly. As long as you have the damper pushed in to where the tab fits in, as shown, you should be right in the center of where the welded nut is. I was able to get the pilot hole right through to where the nut is. I then used a 7/32 bit to carefully drill out the body metal, noting not to go all the way through and strip the threads on the nut.
So, you were able to get your phone (or a camera) in there. Would there be enough room to drill a pilot hole from the backside where you took the pic to help assure the hinge was aligned? Would be a shame to lose that weld nut.

So, you were able to get your phone (or a camera) in there. Would there be enough room to drill a pilot hole from the backside where you took the pic to help assure the hinge was aligned? Would be a shame to lose that weld nut.
You can stick your hand in there and feel the nut. I used a Dremel with a flex-neck attachment and small drill bit to make a pilot hole from the inside. The I drilled out to the edge of the threads from outside, using a regular drill.

You might be able to get an endoscope or small dental mirror in there, but there's not enough space for a phone.

If I recall I don’t think I had a good enough angle from the inside to drill a hole. Or room. Ideally if you can get it from the inside with a small enough drill that’d be the way to go. Avoid stripping the nut. I just remember taking my time with a really small bit to get started on the outside. I just put the damper on the hinge and marked the whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom