Tire Pressure recommendation (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the late hijack. Looking for proper inflation pressure for a stock 2011 LC200 running LT285/65R18 Ridge Grapplers. Can’t seem to find it in the search.

I really appreciate it!!!

The RCTIP for the LT285/65R18 tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

HTH

gaijin - I am curious why the exact same tire (LT285/65/R18) is 42psi on a Land Cruiser and 37 psi on a LX570?

gaijin - I am curious why the exact same tire (LT285/65/R18) is 42psi on a Land Cruiser and 37 psi on a LX570?

DING! DING! DING! Winner,winner chicken dinner :clap::clap::clap:🍗🍗🍗🎆🎆🎆

I have waited a long time for someone to ask that question.

I've mentioned many times that RCTIP is different on a LC200 than on a LX570... crickets.

I've had to prompt more folks than I should have to tell me whether they are asking about an RCTIP for a LC200 or LX570 and I never get the question back as to why, they usually just (a bit grudgingly) tell me which one and don't give it another thought - except perhaps that I'm being a bit of a PITA.

Finally, you @Ninja Cruiser100 , my friend, have demonstrated the intellect and the interest to ask the question. Kudos to you, sir!

The suspension systems on our vehicles are just that - systems. Not just tires, not just springs and shocks, not just KDSS or AHC; but carefully engineered systems that are tuned to work best together.

One part of a suspension system are tires.

Tires have two critical performance factors that contribute to the overall balance of the suspension system - Load Limt and Spring Rate.

When designing a suspension system, the Load Limit (determined by RCTIP) is kind of backed into by first determining the desired Spring Rate. Think of a tire's Spring Rate as being similar to the spring rate we talk about with - wait for it - springs. Some suspension systems require stiffer springs and others softer springs - same with tire Spring Rates. Once the desired tire Spring Rate is determined, the Load Limit is calculated and verified to be within safe operating limits. If it is not, then compromises are made in the other components of the system to bring the Load Limit into safe limits.

Obviously there are many differences between the LX570 suspension and the LC200 suspension. Toyota have engineered suspension components for each model that require different Load Limits to work best with the suspension systems.

For the LC200 using LT-Metric tires, Toyota have determined that a tire Load Limit of 2,286 pounds is the recommenmded minimum.

For the LX570 using LT-Metric tires, Toyota have determined that a tire Load Limit of 2,105 pounds is the recommended minimum.

Obviously, for whatever reasons, Toyota have determined that a tire with a softer Spring Rate is better suited for the LX570 suspension system than the tire with a stiffer spring rate they recommend for the LC200.

Clear as mud, right?

If this is not as clear an explanation as it could be, or if you have any further questions, please post them up - I love sharing this info.

HTH

So can I assume the load limit for the LC200 is +/- 800 lbs more than the LX570?

Thank you for the detailed response.

So can I assume the load limit for the LC200 is +/- 800 lbs more than the LX570?

Thank you for the detailed response.

No.

Load Limit is a tire specific term and only refers to the max load a tire can safely support. It has nothing to do with how much weight the vehicle as a whole can support - that's the vehicle's GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

The LC200 GVWR is 7,385 pounds.

The LX570 GVWR is 7,275 pounds.

So you could safely state that the weight limit for the LC200 is approximately 110 pounds more than the LX570.

HTH

So how does one go about determining the appropriate inflation when you make suspension changes? If I add a 2” Icon lift does everything essentially go out the window? Is there a method for figuring it out?

So how does one go about determining the appropriate inflation when you make suspension changes? If I add a 2” Icon lift does everything essentially go out the window? Is there a method for figuring it out?

No change - easy.

HTH

No change - easy.

HTH

Ok. Then I’m even more confused. If I read your post above correctly, tire inflation is related to the overall suspension of the vehicle and the different suspensions (springs, etc) between the LC and LX resulted in the need for differing inflation pressures. If you change out springs, shocks, etc. would you not therefore need to adapt the tire pressure to the new suspension characteristics?

I know almost zero about the intricacies of auto suspensions so I apologize if I’m missing something obvious here. I find it all very interesting and I’m ust trying to understand.

Thanks!

Ok. Then I’m even more confused. If I read your post above correctly, tire inflation is related to the overall suspension of the vehicle and the different suspensions (springs, etc) between the LC and LX resulted in the need for differing inflation pressures. If you change out springs, shocks, etc. would you not therefore need to adapt the tire pressure to the new suspension characteristics?

I know almost zero about the intricacies of auto suspensions so I apologize if I’m missing something obvious here. I find it all very interesting and I’m ust trying to understand.

Thanks!

From one platform to another, as from LC200 to LX570, the specific suspension components (like RCTIP) can be different, but within one platform even though other components may change, the RCTIP will remain the same. The overall dynamics of a changed system will change, but the Load the tire must support remains the same.

HTH

BFG A/T KO2, 285/75R17 on 2017 Land Cruiser, Rock Warrior wheels?

Really? Your KO2's are not LT-Metric tires? :hmm:

OK. Let me take the time to go to the BFG KO2 site and check if there is a KO2 that size, and if not, what tire size is close so I can at least guess at what you mean. KO2 site here: BFG KO2 Site

Well, no KO2 in size 285/75R17. Is it possible you have the KO2's in size LT285/75R17/E 121/118S?

If so, the RCTIP for the LT285/75R17 tires on your LC200 (NOT on your LX570 - that would be a different RCTIP) is 37psi F/R.

Hope I'm right :wacky:

Great thread!

@gaijin

What about the Michelin Defender LTX in 285/60/18 . When we got them mounted a few weeks ago, the tire shop (discount tire) set the pressures at 34 psi. It seems to have a bit of a bulge, but the truck rides fine. Just want to make sure the pressure is right.

thanks!

Great thread!

@gaijin

What about the Michelin Defender LTX in 285/60/18 . When we got them mounted a few weeks ago, the tire shop (discount tire) set the pressures at 34 psi. It seems to have a bit of a bulge, but the truck rides fine. Just want to make sure the pressure is right.

thanks!

I see no LC200 or LX570 in your sig - which truck is this for?

And do you mean the Defender LTX M/S?

And do you mean specifically size 285/60R18/XL 120H?

Please confirm.

Yeah sorry, it’s for my 2016 200 series. It’s not in my signature since I have too many characters listed, lol

It is the LTX m/s

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom