100 owners who live in climates of dry 100°F++, what are your running temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was 105°F on the street yesterday and I was hitting 203°F water and 160°F trans. I'm a little concerned about the 203°F number because even though it's not in the 'danger zone', it still seems a little high.

My radiator is new, but perhaps I have some air that needs to fart out? Any thoughts?

mp

I will hit 203 while towing 4000+lbs when it’s 100+ outside. I can also sometimes hit 200 in city stop and go traffic when it’s 100+. My trans temps will hold around 160 too on the Hwy and can get even higher stop and go in town. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about unless it keeps getting higher.

Last edited:
I stay between 188 and 194 at all times regardless of exterior temp. We hit 102 a few days ago in Houston I believe and my coolant temp never went outside of the normal 188-194. I have an autometer gauge on my A pillar and a Bluetooth obd reader on my phone that I mount to my dash while driving so every two seconds I’m seeing my engine temp on one gauge or the other. I get the exact same operating range in winter.

I didn't monitor my temps super closely when I lived in Phoenix, but I was surprised how stable the temp was on the rare occasions I did monitor it. Sitting in traffic with AC full blast at a stand still is the worst case scenario. I don't recall temps ever getting beyond low 90's Celsius, even when it was 120F outside (why such a big city continues to expand in such a climate boggles my mind).

I wouldn't fret it, though. Gradual cooling failures are pretty rare on the 100. If your thermostat, heater tees and radiator are new/within service intervals I think it's highly unlikely you'd slowly overheat to the point of any failure.

Burp the radiator. Check the fan clutch. Check the thermostat.

Little rock gets waaay hot in the summer (we’re the highest heat index in the U.S. about 15 days during july and august) and my 2 lcs have never even gotten a smidge hot.

I live in Arizona and it was 116 yesterday. Did not check temperature of the vehicle but AC gets hot when idling for 5 mins or more. This doenst happen when temps were below 100

Out of curiosity: what temperature are your thermostats?

I recently did mine, and installed a 170F thermostat.
That along with flushing the system, new pump, new hoses, and new fan clutch.
I chose that temperature because where I live it gets hot-as-balls.

Reactions: KTP
I stay between 188 and 194 at all times regardless of exterior temp. We hit 102 a few days ago in Houston I believe and my coolant temp never went outside of the normal 188-194.

^^^^^^^^
This agrees with the temps I see in similar weather conditions. ScanGauge monitored.

i changed my fan clutch and fan bracket it made a huge difference. I havent seen above 194 yet. I used to see 205.

I peaked at 211 a few weeks ago in stop and go with 95ish ambient temperature. Swapped in a new OEM thermostat and it's been a lot better. I saw 203 while running in low range and towing out two vehicles tied together at once from sand last week, and during normal driving see a max of 194 in up to 95* ambient temps since the swap. Regular cruising about 190.

I live in Arizona and it was 116 yesterday. Did not check temperature of the vehicle but AC gets hot when idling for 5 mins or more. This doenst happen when temps were below 100

Similar weather pattern in Fresno yesterday. Weather showed 109 but car thermometer said ambient was 116. I got to 204F max, and 196F max for my trans ATF temp.

Out of curiosity: what temperature are your thermostats?

I recently did mine, and installed a 170F thermostat.
That along with flushing the system, new pump, new hoses, and new fan clutch.
I chose that temperature because where I live it gets hot-as-balls.

I don't know what temp my thermostat is. I know it's working because I can hear the moment it kicks in / out. But I have a new one sitting in my toolbox, maybe it's time to pop the housing and get that sucker in there.

Burp the radiator. Check the fan clutch. Check the thermostat.

Little rock gets waaay hot in the summer (we’re the highest heat index in the U.S. about 15 days during july and august) and my 2 lcs have never even gotten a smidge hot.

Burping is a good idea, this was my first thought. I'll do that during my lunch break and see where it gets me.

Make sure you've got extra coolant handy. I was not-so-pleasantly surprised how much air was in my system when I burped it earlier this season. And if you drove it to work, it may still be warm to pop that cap open by lunch time. Just be careful.

Make sure you've got extra coolant handy. I was not-so-pleasantly surprised how much air was in my system when I burped it earlier this season. And if you drove it to work, it may still be warm to pop that cap open by lunch time. Just be careful.

I got a laser thermometer ready to go to make sure I don't depressurize the system prematurely. Thanks for the warning, where were you 8 years ago when I was much more mechanically naive? Hah! Had stupid money-pit BMW that I stupidly splashed boiling coolant all over my hand with.

I got to learn early on. Dad worked at a service station when he was in high school, long story short he's got burn scars all over his torso now that I saw while growing up. I don't mess with hot coolant :giggle:

I got to learn early on. Dad worked at a service station when he was in high school, long story short he's got burn scars all over his torso now that I saw while growing up. I don't mess with hot coolant :giggle:

Lucky man! My dad worked in sales, with cars, but far away from the pit. Luckily I've had the internet to teach me for the better part of a decade now. What a world we live in.

Anybody in the 100+ weather switched to a Land tank fan clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom