Rear control arm replacement instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got new bushings in the mail today for the rear upper and lower control arms. Could someone please post fsm instructions that includes the torque spec for both.

Many thanks
Woo f’n pig

Well the 80 sub forum indicated 130 foot pounds if i read it right but i believe that series lc had heavier duty control arms and possibly a larger bolt. Maybe i’ll just torque around 100 and use locktite blue.

3BA31A66-5B1D-43D1-950B-2237103A4655.jpeg

Got new bushings in the mail today for the rear upper and lower control arms. Could someone please post fsm instructions that includes the torque spec for both.

Many thanks
Woo f’n pig
Where did you get the bushings from and price? Thx

Last edited:
Cruiser outfitters. Around $330 for all 8 rear bushings.

All oem bushings? why dont you replace pan hard bar bushings?
I think its easy to do one control arm at a time

Is it better and cheaper to buy new rear control arms even after market then paying that much for new bushings ?.

Bushings were cheaper than the 4 control arms. May do panhard bushings next. Cruiser outfitters advertises oem and aftermarket bushings/ i’m trying the aftermarket.

Got one of the lower arms off but the ball joint press i’m using doesn't have a suitable socket to match the bushings diameter. Does anyone know what size press i need?

Furthermore, I could run into this again with the upper arms and if anyone knows the size socket that would press those bushings out I could use that info as well.

Finally got all 8 bushings replaced. I used wits end press to push out old bushings and to push the new ones in. (Used a large press)

The control arms come off easily (did in my driveway without jacking the vehicle up) and the reinstall wasnt bad. One bit of advice (for reinstall) is to have someone sit in the car to slightly compress the rear coil springs - this will allow you to get the bolt in. Otherwise you fight the spring.

After i reinstalled the uppers (i did those first), i noticed the axle had moved back and the lower arms were no longer lined up - it appeared to have moved about 2 inches. I used a ratcheting strap to pull the axle forward until the holes aligned and whalla. If i had the project to do over, i’d buy new control arms and do the whole project in one afternoon.

Pics show the old bushings, the lower control arms cleaned up with the new bushings, and the Wits end press.
Woo f’n pig soo

2AE22F0E-0D3B-45E0-9C5D-3D11DE0E9ECB.jpeg

58EAECD1-3B8E-42A4-91CD-11BAC9CC2A76.jpeg

424EE138-5B39-4898-8F14-3C2DBE1BDFDC.jpeg

Btw - This was for a 2000 lc with 230k odo. Arkansas vehicle. Test ride was great and i believe i can feel improvement but not certain yet.

^^^ I agree
I replaced all 5 control arms with OEM arms (did a thread here as well), but didn't see a significant improvement. Guess Toyota OEM bushings even after 235K miles were in very good state. From the removed controls arms, I found only 2 bushings in the upper control arm had some cracks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom