What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (47 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Set a new land speed record
20190511_081234.jpg

Today's battle of the broken bolts ended in a 4-5 loss.

When I removed the hard top on my '75 I had a ton of frozen bolts. I ended up with a total of 8 snapped heads between the hard top sides and the tub. I've been applying PB Blaster and Kroil before trying to extract. I successfully removed 4 bolts, but I snapped 4 drill bits and one screw extractor in the process. I learned to really hate snapping a bit inside the drilled out bolt.

Today I was defeated, but I will become a rusted bolt removal Master ... Eventually.

Today's battle of the broken bolts ended in a 4-5 loss.

When I removed the hard top on my '75 I had a ton of frozen bolts. I ended up with a total of 8 snapped heads between the hard top sides and the tub. I've been applying PB Blaster and Kroil before trying to extract. I successfully removed 4 bolts, but I snapped 4 drill bits and one screw extractor in the process. I learned to really hate snapping a bit inside the drilled out bolt.

Today I was defeated, but I will become a rusted bolt removal Master ... Eventually.
I have been using a DeWalt impact and it has greatly reduced the number of rusted bolts breaking. It is also useful in getting them out after breaking. I use a drill, then punch a Philips impact screwbit into the hole and out they come.
Hope you are less frustrated than I was figuring how to get the f'ers out

I have been using a DeWalt impact and it has greatly reduced the number of rusted bolts breaking. It is also useful in getting them out after breaking. I use a drill, then punch a Philips impact screwbit into the hole and out they come.
Hope you are less frustrated than I was figuring how to get the f'ers out
I will definitely pick up an impact driver and give the impact driver bit a shot. I was seriously contemplating the value of my time earlier today. I previously bought a Textron impact driver, but I have not found success with it yet.

Set a new land speed recordView attachment 1991891
Not a record... FYI, at 80 mph they get a little light... by 93 (85+ rubber overdrive) it’s not as bad... although that’s when I shut it down and decided I didn’t need to know how much faster a SWB 40 could go. It was still accelerating like a bat out of hell. I also decided keeping with the flow of traffic is highly over rated. :D

BTW my stock 1.5F would top out at about 70 (65+ rubber overdrive), so don’t give up yet... you’ll beat the record yet... ;)

For starters, I’d ty into the body mount and reinforced are that goes across the front of where the seat is.

Not there yet. More of a thought then a reality right now. Another guy brought up a good point about the sheet metal ripping through if the crash was bad enough. Might just weld some stock metal along the whole rear under the bed.
Tying it into the frame might cause issues with frame flexing.
Your front Seats are just connected with weld nuts. You just need to spread the load and make sure the Seat belts have seperate anker points.

Last edited:
THIS PIC NEEDS A 40 SERIES IN IT !!!!!!! So come out to the 2020 winter4x4jamboree.com . Held here in SW Utah the jamboree is the largest winter 4x4 event in the US and last year we had 860 4x4's at the event and most were the you know whats . For that reason I'm trying to get more Toyotas here and I'm working on an all MUD/Toyota trail ride and possibly some other extras thrown in. Check out the site and shoot me a PM with any ?'s

IMG_20190527_202625_115.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom