Radiator foam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some leftover camper top foam. If I stacked it up to correct thickness can this be used for the radiator gaps? Just trying to find a use for it instead of buying more foam lol. Would it melt? Thanks

Doubt it but good point. Probably should order some I guess

I would. I got some quality foam strips from Mcmaster-carr and they are holding up well. You wouldn't want to pull the radiator just to replace foam for fun....Also get some for the fan shroud as well if you don't have them already.

Any suggestions on what size foam to get? I ended up trying a CSF radiator since the 2 week old Koyo is already leaking at the top. Ready to get this dang radiator installed soon!

What inkpot said: closed cell foam weather strip, works as well if not better than the original foam IME.

So just basic weather stripping for doors etc? Any particular size/thickness? Thanks

DF872A9E-0D1E-442C-B593-494E91220D65.png

I used something similar to this and used a painters tool to wedge it in the gap. Been good for 4 years or so.

Perfect. Thanks!

Thats what we use on the bottom tank. Top tank to cross member is around 3/8 x 1/2 ish.

I used something similar to this and used a painters tool to wedge it in the gap. Been good for 4 years or so.

No need to remove any components? What's the purpose of the foam, to mitigate losing cooling from the fan?

I bought some of the 1&1/4 weather stripping to stiff in it. Anyone used 3M aluminum heating and air tape around the fan gaps?

That tape would make a mess and not come off easily when
you have to pull the radiator.

I used Frost King black rubber weatherstripping in whatever size
was needed: it's denser than the type you'd stuff
around a home window air conditioner.

I would. I got some quality foam strips from Mcmaster-carr and they are holding up well. You wouldn't want to pull the radiator just to replace foam for fun....Also get some for the fan shroud as well if you don't have them already.
Hey Marco, any pics you can provide of your setup with the McMaster Carr foam you used? Did you install it all the way around where the radiator and fan shroud surfaces meet or just where there were noticeable gaps?

My CSF radiator and fan shroud surfaces mate very closely on the top and passenger side (so much so that I can't see the benefit of adding foam here since the seal is already so snug), with the only gap I can see being on the driver's side bottom (definitely a big enough gap here that the fan would be drawing in air that completely bypasses the radiator). I can't see the bottom since my line of sight is being blocked by the bottom radiator cover. Having a hard time visualizing how this foam is installed and holds up in with the extreme conditions high heat surfaces, air moving, getting wet, dry, wet again etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom