Newbie alert!!! Need some advice!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up this older resto FJ40... It is titled as a 73.. Please see pics and give your thoughts. Does it look like a 73? What about that Bench seat? Speedo is in KM? Appears to have been frame off restored many years ago. Anybody recognize it and have any info on it? I was told that it had a 4 speed and diff from an 84. It also has disc brakes. Thank you for your time.
IMG_6525[1].JPG
IMG_6534[1].JPG
IMG_E6509[1].JPG
IMG_6525[1].JPG
IMG_6534[1].JPG
IMG_E6509[1].JPG
IMG_6513[1].JPG

Looks like a pretty legit '73 to me. The split bench was standard in that year. The VIN should be on a similar looking stamped plate riveted to the drivers side A pillar, where the hinges are. It'll have a "June 1973" or thereabouts listed on it. The Frame number listed on your ID tag matches up with the May-June range in Specter's database. Nice looking truck!

Haven't studied too long but no cowl vent (can't see one) and the seat post (front left) is '75 to '78. "Diff from '84" Would HAVE to be both diffs and therefore a disc front end. The barn doors could be '73. Fender lights are '73 but those are interchangeable items.

The hood is '73. Looks like you've got a frankentruck there. Not that that is bad...

Looks like a pretty legit '73 to me. The split bench was standard in that year. The VIN should be on a similar looking stamped plate riveted to the drivers side A pillar, where the hinges are. It'll have a "June 1973" or thereabouts listed on it. The Frame number listed on your ID tag matches up with the May-June range in Specter's database. Nice looking truck!

Thank you!

Haven't studied too long but no cowl vent (can't see one) and the seat post (front left) is '75 to '78. "Diff from '84" Would HAVE to be both diffs and therefore a disc front end. The barn doors could be '73. Fender lights are '73 but those are interchangeable items.

The hood is '73. Looks like you've got a frankentruck there. Not that that is bad...
I figured it was a frankentruck, LOL... Thank u!!

Nice 40. Don't worry about the little stuff, just drive it and have fun.
Welcome

Speedo in KM means your dash cluster was replaced with a currently available version which is non-USA. They would have ahd to do something about the Ammeter as the 73 wiring would have been different. Of course, it could have an aftermarket wiring harness in it.

Nice looking truck, Welcome to Mud.

Edit: based on the comment below, your KM speedo could indicate a SA truck. Does it have a heater? That's what I always look for.

Last edited:
Speedo in KM means your dash cluster was replaced with a currently available version which is non-USA. They would have ahd to do something about the Ammeter as the 73 wiring would have been different. Of course, it could have an aftermarket wiring harness in it.

Nice looking truck, Welcome to Mud.

Edit: based on the comment below, your KM speedo could indicate a SA truck. Does it have a heater? That's what I always look for.

I was thinking it was an SA truck. No heater, bench seat, and KM...

I would give it a good inspection with a magnet to check for body filler. The importers are notorious for that. Although, I think I see the seam at the rear of the door where the back half tub meets the front. That's a good sign. Even better if you can still see the dimples from the factory spot welds. It means the body prep didn't skim coat (or worse) the entire truck before paint.

I would give it a good inspection with a magnet to check for body filler. The importers are notorious for that. Although, I think I see the seam at the rear of the door where the back half tub meets the front. That's a good sign. Even better if you can still see the dimples from the factory spot welds. It means the body prep didn't skim coat (or worse) the entire truck before paint.
Will check that out... Thank u for the advice.

The Back up light is wrong for a 73 also. I agree with others drive it and enjoy it there are very few that don`t have a mix of parts from different trucks.
JP

Haven't studied too long but no cowl vent (can't see one) and the seat post (front left) is '75 to '78. "Diff from '84"

Bucket seats started in 73.

Didn't all bench seat models have the tool box under the drivers seat? I'm not a year to year expert but have had quite a few older models and all my bench seat rigs had the drivers box.

Didn't all bench seat models have the tool box under the drivers seat? I'm not a year to year expert but have had quite a few older models and all my bench seat rigs had the drivers box.

On NA trucks bench and toolbox went to buckets and no box in 10/72. IIRC the ignition switch went to steering column and radio hole showed up in the dash at same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom