Cost to have new key cut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saw this on the fuel door lock. But it's only a 4-digit....I reckon I'll pull the door panel.View attachment 1662304

Thats Not the Key code , That is the part# or casting code for the arm it self , i have several fuel door cylinders and they all have 5224 on them , i just checked

Pulling the door panel is easy , just take your time and take photos

loo above at the fellow who pull his panel and was able to see his key code on not pop the lock out

passenger side front door

Will do, thanks for the clarification. Will pull it today. Cheers.

After my keys were so worn that they would fall out of the ignition, I headed to a hardware store and bought some blanks. Pulled the code off the door cylinder and headed to the dealership. They cut them for FREE

My stealership wanted about $25 per key (cost of key and to cut)...:cry:.

My stealership wanted about $25 per key (cost of key and to cut)...:cry:.

The 2 current modles OEM keys I outlined above cost at a toyota dealership
90999-000212 15.62 + tax
90999-00085 9.33 + tax

These are NOT CHEAP Yellow brass Hardware store keys

OEM Toyota Key blanks are High Quality RED Brass

@RAGINGMATT thanks again for setting me up with some new keys and extras! Keys work like a champ, much better then the copies I’ve been using.

Mudders I recommend sending Matt your code if you need a new set made.

Yup, I am going to be sending Matt a couple blanks as well as a scavenged cylinder for the drivers door today (if I can get to the post office in time). Looking forward to having new keys and a drivers side lock cylinder that doesn't look like it was last opened with a chainsaw.

This Is a Toyota MINI key , This 90999-00046 was Toyota's answer to a Wallet / Purse type Credit card Spare Key back in the 1970's , Its significantly Shorter / Stubby Then The Full Size Master Keys 90999-00085 & 909990-00212 Outlined Above

This Key blank WILL Fit All the Land Cruisers Talked About in this Thread thus far 1975- Later 40, 55, 60, & 62 series

Its the Common TR-33 / XR137 Profile

DSCN6331.JPG
DSCN6336.JPG
DSCN6344.JPG
DSCN6348.JPG

just got a key trace cut at toyota. bought the blank from cruiser corp while ordering something else and toyota just cut it for free.

maybe because it’s just a trace and maybe because i just bought a timing belt but a free cut was unexpected!! i was willing to pay $5 ;)

Had a couple of key blanks that I bought off eBay sent to Matt along with a scavenged drivers door cylinder to have him recode to my current key code. Transaction was simple and seamless. Took about a week between me shipping out and getting a response from Matt saying that he was shipping items out and the charge (he did not charge me for work until it was done, but told me what the cost would be upfront so I was comfortable). Got the new cylinder installed this weekend and started using the new key right away.. Awesome stuff and he even scavenged some items for me so that I would have a perfectly functioning and brand new looking cylinder!

Highly, HIGHLY recommend him if you need your stuff recoded.

Adding my experience to this thread....

My recently-acquired 60 came with only one key. Went to my local dealer to order a new one. They were great when I needed an extra key for my 62 about two years ago. Looked up the receipt and it showed the cost was $16 all-in. They ordered and cut from my VIN.

Fast forward to this week. And they struggled mightily to find the proper blank to order. It was $20. And they wanted $10 to cut it.
Okay.
I need a key.

Well, they can't cut it. Can't determine the code from the VIN. They have a new cutting machine, which they can't guarantee will do old key blanks. They didn't think they could even do it with the door lock cylinder code. And they wanted an hour labor to R&R it while I waited in order to find out.

These guys were never what I would consider to be shining example of a T parts department (or service for that matter) but they're the closest to me, and I wanted to have the 60 there to check the cut.

Back to the drawing board. Fortunately, the one key works fine. Just a bit of slop.

I am not sure how that is even possible for a lexus dealer

That's how it was done on my 62... Hand them my ID and my DMV registration. Wait a couple of days and *poof* a perfectly functioning key.

Ordered a couple of keys for my 60 from @RAGINGMATT

Keys were cut accurately. And shipped quickly. Arrived today. Glad to have this to-do off my list.

My new to me 60 has two keys. One opens the front doors and the other is for the ignition. I presume the ignition cylinder was replaced previously as I found broken glass under the carpet. If I find the code in the passenger door, how do I get a new ignition cylinder and recode it the same as the doors? The ignition is very stiff, it feels like the key will break it's so stiff. I just want a whole new ignition cylinder plus some new keys coded to original. Also my lift gate lock is completely seized, it wont even budge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom