Turn Signal stalk cancels early. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Order a new oem turn signal/light switch part while it's still available. The plastic internals wear out over time. Replaced mine 8 years ago and hope to get another 20 years out of it.

@beno is the turn signal stalk still available? Do I dare ask how much it is?

I had this problem for the past 2 years and finally fixed it today. Its just one spring that needs a little stretching. I'll post some pics if you guys still need to fix yours

Please post details and pics, my 93 has the issue, save me the time of trying to figure it out with your repair! :cheers:

First off, sorry for the large size of the images.

so this is your problem. the rough grooves worn into the plastic moulding over time.
1lALnxl.jpg

And these are the parts involved.
The blue detent rides up and over the two green lumps when you signal left or right and hold the stalk there until a notch at the 12 and 6 o'clock position on that black ring around the steering shaft nock the stalk back to the central position as you spin the wheel back.

you need to remove and stretch the red spring hidden inside that black housing to give the spring a little more tension allowing the blue detent to have a better grip on each of the green lumps.

to do so, slide a small flat blade screw driver in and depress the red spring towards the blue detent, swing the top of the yellow calliper left and out from under the black moulding, remove it and place it down safely in time to catch the red spring before it enters a low earth orbit. The yellow calliper only goes in one way, this photo below is the correct way.
qwDY4hQ.jpg

it all looks like this once it's apart. In this pic below, the calliper is backwards and it took me close to an hour to figure out why it wasn't going back together. anyway, stretch the spring a little and reassemble it.
9oteU7r.jpg

I used two narrow zip ties to compress the spring and hold it in place while I slid the calliper back in.
meQljuQ.jpg

when you have the calliper back in place, cut the zippy ties close to the spring and carefully slide it out. lube the plastic bits with a few globs of grease to keep it happy and then try to get your steering wheel back on straight. job done, hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom