What are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mini trophy rig? Fun!
There's some fun race series with the old 2 wheel drive rangers? Or is that what you're building this for?

Making it just to crawl over some rocks. Trying to give the Tacoma a break. Plus I like building things.

I think Perry county has it beat.

no doubt about that at all, but for an unincorporated community to even rank against the legacy powerhouse that perry county is....well thats really saying something.

Heard some odd popping sounds from the pass side when wheeling on the 11th, but couldn't isolate the noise to find a cause. Continued happening the next couple of times I drove the truck. I checked the nuts for the knuckles and all was good. Took it on the highway today and got a bad rattle and truck left like it was wandering and pulling right, but it was breezy at the time so not sure. Pulled into work and got under it and found the source ...

This hasn't happened before:
20190520_134727[1].jpg

Grabbed the pipe and it felt secure. Checked the bushings and all seemed ok other than the front steering link bushing is torn, but shouldn't cause that. Grabbed the sway bar and it moved by hand several inches ... found it. Not sure if this will need welding skill or is just a replaceable part?

20190520_134756[1].jpg

The pass side front sway bar mount gave up. At least this explains the odd sounds I was hearing on the trail.

Remove and discard.
The general consensus is that the front sway bar on the 80 series 3 link front end doesn't do much, but limit the already limited front articulation.
The rear sway bar is far more effective.

Remove and discard.
The general consensus is that the front sway bar on the 80 series 3 link front end doesn't do much, but limit the already limited front articulation.
The rear sway bar is far more effective.
Says the guy that won't wheel his rigs.... but I like what he says so......

I've been running my 80 with no swaybars for about three years now. It's fine, until you're driving on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like your driving around in a fishtank full of water. Ya get used to it...

You could also spend way too much money on these...

I've been running my 80 with no swaybars for about three years now. It's fine, until you're driving on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like your driving around in a fishtank full of water. Ya get used to it...

You could also spend way too much money on these...

I saw those, but thought they were used for the pre '96 version of the sway bar mounts. I could get used to the body lean, other then shuttling between cruisers makes it feel more odd when they don't drive similar. The part I don't like is only being able to do maybe 65mph max on the highway. It was stable at 80+mph before :steer: and that apparently it now allows the tire to contact the exhaust pipe and that is a FAIL.

I will try to look at it more on Weds and see if the bolt sheared off or not and then figure out what to do I suppose. Hoping to take my son for his permit test tomorrow, then lunch out and Avengers movie mid afternoon for a guys day out. Hope he passes his test.

Just saw the OEM replacement part is $56 for the right side. Hoping to hear back from Onur tomorrow to confirm I'm looking at the right part.

Last edited:
I saw those, but thought they were used for the pre '96 version of the sway bar mounts. I could get used to the body lean, other then shuttling between cruisers makes it feel more odd when they don't drive similar. The part I don't like is only being able to do maybe 65mph max on the highway. It was stable at 80+mph before :steer: and that apparently it now allows the tire to contact the exhaust pipe and that is a FAIL.

I will try to look at it more on Weds and see if the bolt sheared off or not and then figure out what to do I suppose. Hoping to take my son for his permit test tomorrow, then lunch out and Avengers movie mid afternoon for a guys day out. Hope he passes his test.

Just saw the OEM replacement part is $56 for the right side. Hoping to hear back from Onur tomorrow to confirm I'm looking at the right part.

Edit: DANGER! DO NOT DRIVE AT HIGHWAY SPEED TILL RESOLVED!!!
Something else has broken. A sway bar will have no effect on your highway straight line drivability. The front wheel could only contact the exhaust pipe at full articulation with plus size tires like you have. Nothing should be rubbing or touching while driving straight down the road!
I couldn't see anything about a sway bar link in the photos you posted above.

@Pacer the mount for the sway bar at the very front on the pass side is broken off from where it secures to the axle.

The part I circled is supposed to be bolted flat to the axle. I'm pretty sure the exhaust happened either at work or home with the wheel at full lock when reversing on uneven ground, but I will look for other damage elsewhere.

Screenshot_20190521-161933_Gallery[1].jpg

On today's edition of WHY YOU LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO

A huge THANK YOU to @Pacer

I ordered the overly expensive sway bar mounts from Wit's End, then decided to remove the sway bar so I could drive the truck in the coming rain and clean it off. Remembered what Pacer said and looked for other issues ... FOUND IT!!

The rear bolt on the pass side control arm is probably important.
20190523_122306[1].jpg

20190523_122259[1].jpg

How a bolt the size of my finger goes missing is beyond me, but now the truck is sidelined until I can get some replacement parts.

That's down right scary.
While its probably fine, I would replace the drivers side as well.
Not sure what your urgency level is or what other pieces you're looking for...but I have a new set of bolts for a stalled control arm project on my 94....yours if you replace them.

Wow!!!! Chalk one up for Pacer!!!! Awesome suggestion and an even more important find. Scary to say the least. One of the worst trail breakdowns I've been involved with has been with mis-located control arms on an 80 series. Right Crusha??????? My 40 still shows some scarring from that day...……. Glad you found this to be sure, and I agree with Brian change the bolt on the other control arm while under there. Also take a real good look at where the control arms attach to the front axle look for cracks in the welds and other possible problems.

One of the worst trail breakdowns I've been involved with has been with mis-located control arms on an 80 series. Right Crusha???????

By "mis-located", he means the front LCA brackets decided they no longer wanted to be in a relationship with the axle housing...

How a bolt the size of my finger goes missing is beyond me

Not properly installed and torqued.

I lost one of my rear LCA bolts at Rausch a few years ago. Drove home without it, but took my time.

Interesting thread about LCA bolts here

On today's edition of WHY YOU LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO

A huge THANK YOU to @Pacer

I ordered the overly expensive sway bar mounts from Wit's End, then decided to remove the sway bar so I could drive the truck in the coming rain and clean it off. Remembered what Pacer said and looked for other issues ... FOUND IT!!

The rear bolt on the pass side control arm is probably important.
View attachment 1984472
View attachment 1984473

How a bolt the size of my finger goes missing is beyond me, but now the truck is sidelined until I can get some replacement parts.
Glad you found it and are safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom