350 Chevy in fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I do an engine drop without changing the mounts or transmission. Also need 2 new front Hubs for it how much would they cost. Also has gotten a bit of rust forming up the wind screen any advice on how to stop it getting worse, is it a good idea to use bog.

Last edited:
From stock F/1.5F/2F to Chevy 350, no on the mounts and yes (with adapter) on transmission. I don’t know what a Hun is except that we hunt them here in the western US - game bird.

The Hun is a German, not sure why you need two of them.

IMHO, Engine and transmission conversions work best when you place them where they should be, rather where they can be made to fit. Most adapter kits that rely on the OEM frame brackets have less than optimal engine placement, either too far forward or back. There are probably hundreds of threads on 'mud on this subject. I would recommend a lot of reading before proceeding.

With enough time and money, you can make adapter mounts that bolt to your chevy 350 and uses the stock f/2f frame mounts.
It has been a LONG while since I've seen the stock 2f frame mounts but by memory, the frame mounts are WAY ahead of the chevy 350. And I believe the transmission mount may be at the 'tail' of a chevy 350 bellhousing. FWIW, the older chevy 350 bellhousings had provisions for mounts on each side.
In my opinion, a lot of effort to do something that isn't optimal. Is there a reason?
Also in my opinion, I'd rather spend more money on a newer Chevy LSx engine; more power, lighter, and EFI.

My 2 cents, I am guessing Madmudman has a 350 available at a reasonable cost. I have a Gen 1 SBC and if anything breaks internally I would not think twice of going to a LSx engine. The N key is next to the B key on my keyboard so I am guessing he was in a hurry and hit the wrong key. Nice looking 45 Madmudman.

Larry in El Paso, TX

'Mud wouldn't be as much fun without hypos ;)

Last edited:
From stock F/1.5F/2F to Chevy 350, no on the mounts and yes (with adapter) on transmission. I don’t know what a Hun is except that we hunt them here in the western US - game bird.
My 2 cents, I am guessing Madmudman has a 350 available at a reasonable cost. I have a Gen 1 SBC and if anything breaks internally I would not think twice of going to a LSx engine. The N key is next to the B key on my keyboard so I am guessing he was in a hurry and hit the wrong key. Nice looking 45 Madmudman.

Larry in El Paso, TX
Thanks I've spent a little time working on it at the moment at it has been sitting for a while and has collected a bit of rust as they do, so I'm going over it and giving it a touch up and good detective skill Iwas meaning hubs.

Hubs! That’s a great looking work rig. Keeping it that way?

Have a look at what ive done mate
Ls1 into a 40 series, similar to a 350. I tryed to use the engine mounts on the chassis, i thought it might save me some mucking around, but it didnt. im using a 5 speed from a 60 series and an adaptor kit from Marks4wd.
Its already cost me an arm and a dick and i haven't even driven it yet

Have a look at 4wdbits for hubs

Bog is fine to use as long as there is steel behind it. dont fill holes with it.
Cheers

I tried to go cheap on my conversion many years ago and used a front engine mount and the original Toyota front mounts. Problem is you can’t use a manual fuel pump ( only way to go imo ) and now power steering pump mount availability ( also a nice improvement ). I eventually ponied up and did it right. Lesson learned is do it right the first time and take your time. Good luck you will love the power improvement.

I think you should first print a copy of the Downey V8 installation instruction manual (here on Mud in the Downey Off Road link), this way you can read about what is involved before you spend a dime. Then you might want to gander through my ebay store since it has all the refurbished parts and adapters you may need at less than new prices- - -easy deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom