Wheel Confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am so confused about wheels! Size, backspace, bolt pattern, centerbore diameter... I've read a bunch of threads about wheels and my mind is spinning.

Here's my situation. I have a 70 FJ40 drum brakes all around. It is currently running 31 x 10.5 R15 tires on older American Racing wheels. The spare wheel is all corroded and the tire isn't a 31 x 10.5. So I want to buy an inexpensive wheel to mount the correct size tire. From what I have read, I need a 15 x 8, 6 on 5.5. I'd like to not use any spacers so what would be the correct backspace? 3.5? 4? Also correct centerbore? 4.5? Would 4.25 work?

I found this wheel which might work. 15 x 8, 6 x 5.5, 4" offset, 4.25" centerbore and affordable. Will this work? Bart Wheels D Trucker Black Wheels 7015806

Any advice is appreciated!

Can’t go wrong with a CLASSIC!
Toyota Part No.: 42601-60072

The current wheels are 15" so I want to stay with that. Not looking to replace them all so the 16" city racer wheels won't work.

I looked at the Toyota OEM wheels but I believe they are only 5.5" wide. The overall opinion is that wheel is too narrow for a 10.5" tire although I know some people run it that way.

The current wheels are 15" so I want to stay with that. Not looking to replace them all so the 16" city racer wheels won't work.

I looked at the Toyota OEM wheels but I believe they are only 5.5" wide. The overall opinion is that wheel is too narrow for a 10.5" tire although I know some people run it that way.

The overall opinion is that they fit fine. The problem is that the tire manufacturers don’t recommend it and so the shops often won’t install them. I’m not a tire engineer so I can’t vouch for the validity of either argument, but there are hundreds of guys on this forum (including myself) that run this combo without issue.

Last edited:
3.62 or less back spacing
4.125 center bore

Do not worry about the purest.

You can run a 10.5" tire on 15" OEM wheels without issue.

Backspacing is 3.250" on 15" OEM wheels.The wheel you posted in your link at 4.000" may cause some rubbing without a spacer :meh:

Just arent a lot of tire options for the stock 15's. That is why I chose the 16" route. So, you are just looking for a spare wheel...get an old 15 steelie and put a tire on it that will match the overall diameter of what you run.

For guys running 10.5 wide tires, do you need a spacer to have it fit the spare tire carrier?

For guys running 10.5 wide tires, do you need a spacer to have it fit the spare tire carrier?
On my ‘76 with OEM wheels and 33x10.5, yes I need a spacer. It cost $5 in material, 30 minutes of my time. I used 1”x1” steel square tube. Fit between the plate style carrier and tire mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom