What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting everything ready for my first ever transfer case rebuild. I'm a bit intimidated but I plan on following Coolermans write up very carefully. The plan is to swap a '76 H42 and this 4 speed TCase into my '72 that has the original 3 speed still in it. View attachment 1970391View attachment 1970397
Nothing wrong with the 3 speed but my rig is a DD so I want the 4 speed. When the J30 and the 3 speed tcase are out I plan to refurb them and store for future. Wish me luck.

It only looks intimidating.Not simple but not super complicated either.Based on your pic you are half way there :steer:

I installed my stereo back in my tuffy console today, threw some wires across the rear floor and tossed a cheap speaker box back there.

Super temporary.

Added a new 4 plus rear tire carrier and cooler rack. My wife got me a tan yeti cooler for it but I'm so pretentious that I made her get the grey one to match. Now I have two :).

Install was fairly easy. I had to do a major garage reshuffle as a result of a kitchen remodel so I lost the install instructions. If anyone has installed this an knows what a roughly 1 foot bar stock with slots, bolts and wing nuts is used for, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing to mount the high lift jack.

Most of the work was cleaning this up to install. The stock tire carrier, lock catch and a rust spot were all DA sanded and sealed with primer. I'm think about a complete strip down and repaint this summer...same rustic green 621 or 612 (memory failing me.)

My father ran some tube stock out to catch a heavy duty trailer hitch so I cut that back. Unless I can think of a great reason to keep it, I'll cut it flush.

I still need to run lights for the license plate light and I have a back up flood light to wire up....and connect my high lift.

Falling asleep under the stars next to the cruiser is easy, waking up is a bit harder : “are my knuckles leaking too much?” “When was the last time I greased those shackles?” “How old is that steering stabilizer?” :rolleyes:... etc. Had a great weekend goofing off in the desert but I need to spend the week catching up on preventative maintence before doing it over again next weekend
403DEA19-3066-4FB0-85D9-FF9D62643A3C.jpeg
E71E6D4F-33CE-4A7D-BBDD-09119CEAE7CA.jpeg
42F73100-9C77-4C23-9EEA-F71CAD539420.jpeg

Thanks @1911

My PO dad had a grey Optima battery in our FJ40 when I took possession which died. I had a yellow to in for a while but now I'm going back to the larger group 30(?) Odyssey battery. Last night did my second ever weld job. Thank goodness for my flapper disk:
I'm thinking of welding a couple more 1/8th straps to catch the mounting holes.

I'm moving the battery forward and too the passenger fender for improved clearance of the headers and valve covers. This means ditching the big plastic overflow and adding a 2" x 13" stainless overflow.

Falling asleep under the stars next to the cruiser is easy, waking up is a bit harder : “are my knuckles leaking too much?” “When was the last time I greased those shackles?” “How old is that steering stabilizer?” :rolleyes:... etc. Had a great weekend goofing off in the desert but I need to spend the week catching up on preventative maintence before doing it over again next weekend
View attachment 1971170View attachment 1971169View attachment 1971171
I am glad I am not the only one who thinks of these things! Great pics and nice post.

I’ve just got the rear axle together. I had to pull it all down as I pieced it together wrong the first time. Note for those who don’t pay attention: the axle oil seal goes in after the bearing.:bang:
Felt like a real idiot as I replaced brand new seals and bearings twice.
It’s a two step process. Two steps backwards in my case.
Here’s a feel good photo to end on.
View attachment 1965616
View attachment 1965617
so shiny!:grinpimp:

Nice job! What size speaker?

It will hold a 6.5"

I may have to steal your design... I’ve got some 6.5” speakers looking for a home... or a similar box on the hoop just behind the front seats.

Its less ideal speaker enclosure, and more 'ideally fits the space'. I wanted something that was out of the way, and not really noticed and didn't reduce the limited storage space available in a 40. I stole the design from the original owner who built a pair into the truck before I bought it...but his was mdf and after years of water damage, I needed new enclosures. So im just duplicating his design.

This is the original enclosure I'm duplicating.

IMG_4159.JPG

Last edited:
Working out some of the misc switches for the new dash. I found this under dash bracket for the fog light switch and compressor clutch power toggle switch. A young lady on ebay is making the custom switch tags. Also found a reasonable facsimile of the map light and switch. And of course the OEM radio faceplate. I plan to use a 90s Ford headlight switch with the built in dash dimmer and dome light switch. Not sure I'll ever use the dash dimmer since full on is barely enough light but the dome light switch will be handy so I don't have to reach all the way over to the right of the glove box to turn it on. Oddity of the 73 I think. I'm going to use an old style turn indicator for the 3fe cel.

20190508_165603.jpg
20190508_165611.jpg
20190508_165707.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom