Irish's Slow 1978 Rustic Green Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used square weed eater string and windex. Started from the bottom center and worked my way around to the top corners, took bout two hours. Good-luck

Hi all,

Looking good Kyle! :beer:

Sorry, can't help you with the window installation.

Regards,

Alan

Window install. I caved and had @torfab help out with the window install. Pretty slick trick using a drill over the cord method! First we tired to use my old seals, but decided new OEM was the way to go. Needless to say driving it in the rain with the top on is WAY better than the old bikini top.

DMg5E1d.jpg

Its been a while since I updated this build. I have been busy driving the Fj40 and not tinkering with it. That being said, I have been having dealing with some battery issues. I could not keep the Optima I had in there charged. After some inspection I realized the old red top was over 10 years old. So I swapped that would with an Interstate Group 34 from Costco and now it works like a champ.

The only mods I've added since the last update are a fire extinguisher mounted by the drivers door and the addition of a stereo.

Stereo:
I mounted the radio in my Tuffy console. I have seen a number of good speaker mounting locations in the FJ4x's, but I thought I would try something new. The boxes are Pioneer TW150s. Not entirely sure I like the location, but it keeps them up and out of the way. I am thinking of mounting them to the underside of the jump seats with them facing slightly forward.
5uAasoP.jpg

For the extinguisher, I went with a 5lb since that was the biggest one I could fit in that space. Its quick to access and fits like it was meant to be there:
HBKUDlI.jpg

Other than that I have just been out driving it. I took it for its first actual trail run. The Seattle Cruiserheads met up for a light duty wheeling trip on the Cascade Loop Highway. It was awesome to take the FJ40 out into its element. Everyone is convinced that I would never actually take it wheeling since they were afraid I would scratch it. I have to say the Bilstein shocks make a difference. It still rides like a short wheelbase wagon, but at least it rides like a nice one.

HiKKiSQ.jpg

Still own it? Any updates?

No major updates. I still have it and still drive it around. I've been tinkering with it over the last few years. No major projects, just maintenance and keeping it running. This summer was a bit busy and I didn't get a chance to take the top off. Hopefully next year will settle down a bit and I can get it out more.

5TJpnzs.jpg

Irish's Feb 1978 Rustic Green FJ40:

Current Photo: (May 2016)
HiKKiSQ.jpg

Completed list of everything I have done to the rig since I bought it:

Completed Mods:

Body/Exterior:

• Factory Rear Bumperettes
  • HFS 8274 Bumper
    • OEM Bumper gussets
    • Front Bumper Side Frame Brackets
  • Paint
    • Toyota 621 "Rustic Green
    • "Ford Performance White" for bezel and top
    • Rebuilt Doors
      • Weld on lower patch
      • Door seals and window felts/wipers
    • Rebuilt Hardtop
      • Racer Hardtop Seals
      • Welded Up Rust Holes
      • OEM Door and Window Seals
      • OEM Rear Door Lock
  • New rear light covers
  • New windshield with OEM seal
  • Factory Tire Carrier
  • OEM Mirrors
  • Side Fender Badges
  • Bezel Emblem
  • Kaymar Hi-Lift Mount
  • Bikini Top (track installed with nutcerts)

Drivetrain/Engine:

• Cleaned up POs de-smog job
  • Air cleaner to valve cover hose
  • 33x105r15 BFG ATs
  • Factory Steel Wheels
  • Gas tank hoses replaced
    • Line in and return line
  • 4" skyjacker lift
  • Greaseable spring hanger pins
  • Greaseable anti-inversion shackles
  • Knuckle rebuild with koyo bearings and Marlin Seals
  • New tie rod ends
  • 4* Shims and new U-Bolts
  • Air cleaner intake hose

Interior:

• Refinish dash knobs
  • Bed liner
  • Gas filler cover
  • Front seats
  • Year correct jump seats
    • CCOT Jump Seat Straps
  • Con-Ferr toolbox
  • Heater rebuild
  • Door panels with weather liner
  • Door bushings
  • Seat bracket lengthening
  • Metal-Tech Jackson roll cage
  • Tuffy console
  • 5lb fire extinguisher

Electrical

• New headlights
  • LED lights inside the cab
  • Replaced light switch
  • SunPro tachometer
  • EL wire mod
  • JVC Stereo (in Tuffy Console)
  • Pioneer TW150 speaker boxes
  • Interstate group 34 battery
[/QUOTE

No doubt in my mind, that rig looks like it belongs on that wooded road. And a top favorite color for this kid.

Best of luck!

Did you ever drill anything to mount the foot of your hi-lift? Still like the kaymar mount? I've seen them run on the driver's side but facing backwards to clear the door better.

Did you ever drill anything to mount the foot of your hi-lift? Still like the kaymar mount? I've seen them run on the driver's side but facing backwards to clear the door better.

I haven't drilled anything yet. Still debating that one. I added some door seal tape (https://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Fun-...qid=1539210923&sr=8-4&keywords=door+seal+tape) like the link, but in black. Its held up pretty well and stopped the bottom of the foot from scraping. Someday I'll add in a better foot mount.

Its been a while again since I had any updates on the build. Still own the 40 and still drive it from time to time. It was in need up a few Spring updates, so this week I replaced the hood latches (rubber had worn out), windshield hood pads, hood to body pads, window cranks, and door handle bezels. I also installed some temp floor mats made out of a utility mat from Loews. I have the factor front mat, but did not want to cut it up to go around the Metaltech cage. I think they turned out pretty well. Not sure if I am going to trim the rear mat. I kind of like how it protects the walls of the tub, but we'll see how it collects dirt/water.
20190430_201529336_iOS.jpg
20190430_201619977_iOS.jpg

I installed a Metal-Tech Jackson roll cage to make my resto-mod a bit safer. There are not a lot of photos of them from different angles, so I decided to add a few in case someone else was looking. I opted to have the cross dash bar not added.

tEoPCN7.jpg

zlcFT6Q.jpg

Note, when ordering one make sure you ask about the seatbelt mounts. They do not list them on their website as optional (and an additional cost) yet show them in all their photos. Mine shipped without them and I had to order a pair. I don't have the ability to weld right now, so I ordered a pre-built model and not having the belt mounts was a long set back. Luckily for me there was an awesome guy in my club who was kind enough to weld them in for me. He is also working on a start up for some awesome looking ExPo trailers. They weigh around 800lbs empty and I rolled it around in the driveway myself, they are balanced really well. Maybe someday the 40 will tow one.

BkTN7PE.jpg

Were you able to mount the rear jump seats with the jackson cage without any issues or modifications?

Were you able to mount the rear jump seats with the jackson cage without any issues or modifications?

I lined up the cage and made sure it was square (turns out it was a tiny bit off up from and cannot crank the DS window down without having to open the door, oops) and used the bolt holes from below the tub as a guide to drill up into the plates. That was the most challenging part of the rear cage. Its a solid plate, and you drill as needed. Other than that no major issues.

I lined up the cage and made sure it was square (turns out it was a tiny bit off up from and cannot crank the DS window down without having to open the door, oops) and used the bolt holes from below the tub as a guide to drill up into the plates. That was the most challenging part of the rear cage. Its a solid plate, and you drill as needed. Other than that no major issues.

So you can mount the jump seats no problem? I thought I read on here that it took some sort of modifications to either that cage or the jump seat mounts to run them together. Maybe I am thinking of a different cage.

So you can mount the jump seats no problem? I thought I read on here that it took some sort of modifications to either that cage or the jump seat mounts to run them together. Maybe I am thinking of a different cage.

Ah, I think you need to bend the top brackets a bit to make them work, I don't remember it being a ton of modification though. Sorry, its been a few years.

InkedWP_20150603_003_LI.jpg

Borrowing from woytovich 's LED gauge cluster light setup (LED light strip gauge cluster lighting) I took out my EL wire and installed the LED strip yesterday. Between my heater control, gauges, and tachometer I had three different colors of light and it bugged me. Additionally, not having a dash pad meant I was missing any light for the pull levers on the dash. I swapped in a motorcycle LED license plate light to light the center section. For under $20 everything now matches and looks way better.

20190507_034530377_iOS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom