What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super job, looks great! Can you provide info on the materials, parts, and where you bought them? Thx
Here ya go!

You can source the tips here: I didn’t yet cuz they charge $12 for shipping even for 2!

A PO fixed mine ?30 years ago... the
Do you have a thread on your conversion? I’m doing very similar with a Scout II box.

The only thing I’ve not finalized is the Relay/Tie rod to connect the pitman arm to the Tie rod. I’m hoping to find OEM parts to connect the two without going too custom... for easy future replacement... and affordable/strong parts now. Parts all need to be in balance and work well together.

Put it to work holding up a sale sign for my wife's furniture sale.

20190427_091156.jpg

Last edited:

Do you have a thread on your conversion? I’m doing very similar with a Scout II box.

The only thing I’ve not finalized is the Relay/Tie rod to connect the pitman arm to the Tie rod. I’m hoping to find OEM parts to connect the two without going too custom... for easy future replacement... and affordable/strong parts now. Parts all need to be in balance and work well together.

Avoided a near catastrophe today because I had good brakes and steering. Had a 12 year old girl walk into the highway directly ahead of me (possibly on purpose) while I was doing about fifty. I had to lock it up and steer very hard to miss her. If things weren't up to snuff, I would have flat run her over, rolled the truck or both. Ironically, I helped find this little girl one year ago, with the 40, when she went missing from home. Safety before aesthetics I guess.

Avoided a near catastrophe today because I had good brakes and steering. Had a 12 year old girl walk into the highway directly ahead of me (possibly on purpose) while I was doing about fifty. I had to lock it up and steer very hard to miss her. If things weren't up to snuff, I would have flat run her over, rolled the truck or both. Ironically, I helped find this little girl one year ago, with the 40, when she went missing from home. Safety before aesthetics I guess.

I'm a big fan of modifications (safety upgrades) and maintenance for that exact reason. Our old rigs might have been state of the art back in the day, but dinosaurs and primitive by comparison today. Glad it worked out for you and I hope that girl gets the help she needs. Now show us your rig!

This will be a little helpful, but in the end probably not. I just finished my 2nd Scout steering conversion. My 1st one was on my trail 40 using the ford shock tower and a lot of domestic parts. The 2nd one was done on my street 40 with light 4wheeling in mind. On both, I used a lot of parts I've already had collected thru yrs of 4 wheeling, and owning and parting out 40's. On the 2nd conversion, I concentrated on using as many stk tres as I could. In the end, all my tre's are stk. Usually folks get a relay rod/drag link for a stk end on 1 end and a domestic end on the other, thru the various vendors on this sight. When scouring thru my old parts I found a relay rod that was longer than the stk 40(approx. 30") and shorter that a stk tie rod with the older stk 17mm threads. This is the probably not helpful portion for you, because I have no idea what's off of. I even asked 1 of the Land Cruiser gurus on this site, when he stopped by to pick up some parts, and he had no idea what it would of been off of. Maybe someone else knows. Anyways, I cut it to my needed 34". The rod had stk left hand thread tre, which attaches to the tie rod and I purchased a right hand thread 17mm x 1.5mm tap and proper drill bit for the stk tre to attach to the pitman arm. I considered to do this with a tie rod, but the larger tap was considerably more than the 17mm tap. I found that a j**p YJ power steering pitman arm fits the Scout box and drops down for MY 4" lift. The tapered hole in the YJ arm hole is larger than the 40 TRE taper, so I did the starter bushing trick in the pitman arm hole, so it would fit the 40's tre taper. FYI, for search purposes, I've not put together a build thread, but have many post on scout & fj60 steering conversion threads, along with altering a stk fender so it was not so butchered to clear the box. .
20180317_204152_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Drove it! It’s been a rainy nasty winter in Nashville, and finally the weather is beautiful.

View attachment 1963372

Looking very nice! I’m in Nashville this weekend for a wedding and it reminded me of our cross country trip a few years ago. Good times!

I'm a big fan of modifications (safety upgrades) and maintenance for that exact reason. Our old rigs might have been state of the art back in the day, but dinosaurs and primitive by comparison today. Glad it worked out for you and I hope that girl gets the help she needs. Now show us your rig!

100% agree - though I’d argue our rigs were never state of the art - even when new ;)

Does this mean that you are keeping the RHT FJ45 with the herd?
- Dizzy a.k.a. Paul

Yeah I'm going to keep it unless another unforseen life issue occurs. I have plans for it but having new tires and rims put on is all I have time for. I am hoping this winter or next spring I will have time for making changes. For now I am just going to enjoy driving it.

I have another 45 builder project I will be selling after a few more things come together.

In preparation for a 2400 mile drive from Olympia, WA to Anchorage, AK this summer, I’m doing a little more maintenance to the ‘76 Land Cruiser(establishing baselines and what not). Today I checked the compression (155,160,160,155,150,160) and was very pleased with the results. Spark plugs had some carbon built up on them, so cleaned them up and reinstalled. The distributor needs to be cleaned up a bit, however it has been working very reliably the past few months. Other than that I have just been driving around putting on as many miles as I can.

B69AE000-FE92-40D5-9F3D-34CF15DC9771.jpeg

0DFFAB6F-01B0-4FA4-88EC-01E4E626BD17.jpeg

C0542C0C-ACBD-47C5-B04D-722BDE79BD8F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom