Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the worst finger drawing ever but I am thinking of cutting my charge pipe from the second 12HT I bought and making the turns to work with an air to water intercooler. The way I am thinking, I can save the cool looking charge pipe for the most part.
20190416_195337.jpg
20190416_203233.jpg

One of the problems is blocking the bolt hole for the mount into the intake. Might have to make some mods like an old tunnel port 427!
20190416_204000.jpg

From everything I could find its 450 cfm at WOT stock boost.
Thanks Micheal, that is a big help. I kinda know how to shoot from the hip on gas motors but have no clue on diesels. I guess it is about the same only the torque numbers seem to give away the real power of a diesel whereas gas motor talk revolves around horsepower.

It was close to 2 gallons all in. More than I was told it would take but fortunately I bought extra and mixed everything together since I painted at 2 different times. Not a big worry with single stage white. Both times I painted it was pretty cold and I had a hard time getting it thin enough, it is on there pretty thick which is good because there is a lot of orange peel and I will have some sanding/polishing ahead of me. I just talked to a professional painter friend of mine yesterday and he described the temperature-paint dry relationship as: 70 degrees is 24 hour cure, and every 15 degrees above or below that cuts in half or doubles the dry time. So 85 degrees would be 12 hours, 55 degrees would be 24 hours, etc. In hindsight, I should have utilized my oven a bit more and cut my dry time down. I got a run in my hood over an hour after I finished spraying because I moved it to the other side of the shop where it was pretty cold and it just kept on flowing. I noticed it the next morning. Doh!
Yep, I thought I’d get away with a gallon on my truck. Quickly learned that total coverage (or color change) will require closer to 2 gallons. Looks awesome Pat.

Yep, I thought I’d get away with a gallon on my truck. Quickly learned that total coverage (or color change) will require closer to 2 gallons. Looks awesome Pat.

Thanks! Yeah, I would say anytime I have ever tried to cut it close on materials I have been sorry I did.

Today was a big day for Chunk items showing up. On the recommendation of @ceylonfj40nut and having seen his bumper on his red 60, I decided on a 4plus rear swingout bumper. @lcwizard was great to work with and got it to me quickly. I ordered it bare so I could do my own powder coat job on it. The bumper is really beefy and looks to be very well made. as much as I'd like to jump right on coating it, I will wait til it is near time to install so I won't have to be so careful with it.
20190423_164553.jpg
20190423_165917.jpg

Dave even threw in a sweet led flashlight/flood combo and a 4plus keychain. Love it.

I love Dave's stuff. Got his front bumper and brush guard on my 40. They're beefy as hell.

The other big item (s) was a skid from Cruiser Outfitters with a lift for Chunk and a lift for my 55 (Bacon Double Nickel). I needed them both so I bit the bullet and combined the order. Kurt @cruiseroutfit saved me some shipping $$ this way so it was worth it. I can't wait to get to bolt those pretty new pieces on the truck!
The guys took in all my info for what the truck would have for weight (bumpers, winch, diesel engine, gear) and set me up with the right spring combination.
Thanks for the help!
20190423_164025.jpg

I love Dave's stuff. Got his front bumper and brush guard on my 40. They're beefy as hell.
This bumper is great. Glad I did it.

So to put my lift on, I gotta get through these axles. I had planned to take a couple of days off at the powder coat shop and have a pole barn "staycation" but now I am taking my daughter to Marquette MI in the upper peninsula for a visit to Northern Michigan University instead. It will be cool and I miss the "UP" so all good. It's getting too green here anyway, we will go back to where there is still snow (150 inches/year) on the ground! If we get back quick enough I might still score a little extra Chunk time.

The axles are blasted to help make teardown a bit cleaner. I am doing front and rear bearings, brakes, e brakes, and all seals. We shall see what the diffs look like, hopefully good and don't need big repairs.
20190423_192900.jpg

(the early F valve cover is for the 45, not Chunk!)

Today was a big day for Chunk items showing up. On the recommendation of @ceylonfj40nut and having seen his bumper on his red 60, I decided on a 4plus rear swingout bumper. @lcwizard was great to work with and got it to me quickly. I ordered it bare so I could do my own powder coat job on it. The bumper is really beefy and looks to be very well made. as much as I'd like to jump right on coating it, I will wait til it is near time to install so I won't have to be so careful with it.
View attachment 1960406View attachment 1960407
Dave even threw in a sweet led flashlight/flood combo and a 4plus keychain. Love it.

I think you will love it. So awesome.

Clearly living up to your avatar tag line which includes shopping sprees. Hope Buddy is not getting jealous of all the attention Chunk is getting.

I think you will love it. So awesome.

Clearly living up to your avatar tag line which includes shopping sprees. Hope Buddy is not getting jealous of all the attention Chunk is getting.

Well it was a big chunk to bite off for Chunk. The suspension was one I agonized over for too long because of the outlay and then realized I needed parts right now to move ahead. The bumper I decided to go for to give plenty of time to get it made, but Dave was quick and got it delivered right away.

My budget is just about maxed out on this build but when I started it I knew there would be a lot of outlay of $$ but if it was done right it would worth it. I gave up an original '70 Chevelle SS454 convertible for this and some of the other project trucks. It was a great buy 27 years ago and a ton of work to restore. The fact was it sat in the garage collecting dust most of the time and didn't fit what I wanted to do for fun. I have zero regrets selling it and moving the funds to the Cruisers I have now. The biggest problem I face right now is seeing it through and finishing. Half done projects don't pay off real well for a seller!

Last edited:
I didn't realize that OME still made pig lifts, that's awesome!

Did you end up getting some anti-inversion shackles for the front of Chunk?

Oh, I think I see some in the box...
yeah, I did the kits with the anti-inversion shackles.

On the 55 kit, Cruiser Outfitters uses 70 series rear springs and I will have to cut the rear hanger off (or rivets out really) and move it back a few inches. It sounds like the ride quality improves with this move too.

I started the axle teardown today. The drums were tough to get off but I got 'em. I took off the entire backing plate/brake assembly so that work remains to be torn down. My grapple on my forks worked well to pull the 3rd member out of the housing so I didn't have to wrestle that monster and try to break the seal. Hopefully by tonight I will have the little bits off of the housing and the front torn down so I can get the housings on to powder coating and installed. My plan is to build the axles back up in the chassis, on the hoist. I think that will make the best use of space in the tiny workshop.
20190426_090211.jpg
20190426_102041.jpg
20190426_103046.jpg

Definitely some crappy repair work in the past for these axles. Nylock nuts on the steering arms, lots of rtv, cobbled up drain plugs, broken lockout hub, mega birf soup. Fortunately it is a Toyota so under the nastyness, the importand stuff looks really good. The front birf joints don't feel so great so I might have to do something with the axles, but we'll see.
20190426_191949.jpg
20190426_173215.jpg

I got the front all apart so tomorrow I hope to prep the housings for powder coat. I've got a bunch of roof rack stuff to coat this weekend so I hope to coat the housings then too. The grapple worked great again pulling the front diff out of the housing.
20190426_200647.jpg
20190426_200853.jpg

Axle housings ready for powder coat prep.
20190426_202456.jpg

Definitely some crappy repair work in the past for these axles. Nylock nuts on the steering arms, lots of rtv, cobbled up drain plugs, broken lockout hub, mega birf soup. Fortunately it is a Toyota so under the nastyness, the importand stuff looks really good. The front birf joints don't feel so great so I might have to do something with the axles, but we'll see.
View attachment 1962815View attachment 1962816
That nylock nut yikes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom