TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new toyota part is a much better piece than the original. Never replaced mine but always had the right tools to fish it out in truck if needed.

That and the belt tensioner are two pieces that toyota did update for the 100. The original tensioner had a pretty weak spring and the replacement has a much bigger one. That I did replace.

So tonight George turned 5 and we celebrated his birthday the way he wanted. I was driving around earlier this week thinking about all the things he enjoys and above all he loves building things. I few months back I built him a work bench fit for him and gave him his “ONSC Toolbag” and a few simple tools.

So as a new tradition I’ve decided that starting this year I will give him a new tool, every year, to put into his bag so that when he is at the age he really needs to fix something critical he will have the necessary tools to do the job. Tonight he got his first simple ratchet and socket set just to get familiar with them (later I will upgrade) but never ask him to replace these. Hopefully this will keep him thinking and creating as many have lost this today in the world of social media and how to use your hands as working hands. We have so many young cruiser heads that have learned from us over the years now wrenching on their own trucks, just makes me happy to see the traditions and in following that I thought this was a good way to start something similar for George. I will post pics later of him getting his socket set tonight.

2EB7C3C4-B14E-4005-AB7C-A24765F1971A.jpeg

367E0B53-BAF0-438A-A263-A4B6027E0916.jpeg

Last edited:
176E2B05-0312-4B18-BB99-843C15699D3F.jpeg

9D418EF2-A900-437B-AB83-64641D60BFC9.jpeg

Finally some more progress on my first gen pickup. New exhaust from Henry’s.muffler shop.
And the new 19 gallon gas tank.
The truck is running awesome finally. Been driving it for a week. Going to try to figure out why the speedometer is not working along with the heat sensor gauge.

My ABS light has been on ever since I got the celica. Went to run a diagnostic today which meant I had to get to the actuator and ecu by pulling apart the interior and of course as soon as I do that the ABS light isnt on when I start the car... lol

20190420_125926.jpg
20190420_130143.jpg

old school.... we would short out the T and E1 ports in the coupling on the firewall and it would then flash a code through the check engine light on the dash. sorry I don't recall the particular codes. but I am sure can be found. HTH

For abs codes?? On this car I think you have to get them directly from the abs system by disconnecting the check connector and it flashes them from the ABS light. Least that's what the FSM says.

Light came back on today so should be able to pull them.

:cheers:

My ABS light has been on ever since I got the celica. Went to run a diagnostic today which meant I had to get to the actuator and ecu by pulling apart the interior and of course as soon as I do that the ABS light isnt on when I start the car... lol

View attachment 1957848View attachment 1957849
Is that a piece of wood? Looks like someone fabricated it.

Is that a piece of wood? Looks like someone fabricated it.
That is an original OEM piece..... strange but true

I think I need to contact Doug Demuro to talk about all the quirks on this car, there are a lot

So tonight George turned 5 and we celebrated his birthday the way he wanted. I was driving around earlier this week thinking about all the things he enjoys and above all he loves building things. I few months back I built him a work bench fit for him and gave him his “ONSC Toolbag” and a few simple tools.

So as a new tradition I’ve decided that starting this year I will give him a new tool, every year, to put into his bag so that when he is at the age he really needs to fix something critical he will have the necessary tools to do the job. Tonight he got his first simple ratchet and socket set just to get familiar with them (later I will upgrade) but never ask him to replace these. Hopefully this will keep him thinking and creating as many have lost this today in the world of social media and how to use your hands as working hands. We have so many young cruiser heads that have learned from us over the years now wrenching on their own trucks, just makes me happy to see the traditions and in following that I thought this was a good way to start something similar for George. I will post pics later of him getting his socket set tonight.

View attachment 1955069

View attachment 1955257

Love this idea Greg, think i'm going to start doing it with some of my Niece and Nephews.

Some new leather for the hundo
8BCEFAF6-1DBE-4ADB-BA0C-81CA43E9CA2E.jpeg
EE0AEAE7-CCA7-4E35-980D-522F14F6AC8F.jpeg

One step closer to getting the 62 Relic run. I realized last week after the rear brakes I forgot to order the front kit. Today the kit showed up from Marlin. I thought I’d knock out the front this evening and get a test drive in. Man I never been so wrong. Took about 4 hours just to get the hub to separate from the rotor. A combination of heat, kroll oil and BF hammer Finally knocked it loose. I did manage to wrap up the driver side. New bearings, races, seals, brake lines, and reman calipers.

F0011AC9-A08E-461C-8334-BCDF8C4331B1.jpeg

Air chisel works great for that situation. Put the chisel between the hub and rotor. Brrrrdddpppp. Done.

I changed the oil and shackle end spring bushings last night. Feels tighter on the way into work. Should have changed the spring bushings a while ago.

Yes but that wasn’t the issue. The hub had seized to the rotor as far as I could tell.
Glad its coming along, it wouldn't have changed much if i kept it.

Yesterday morning I went out to the driveway to go to school and noticed a small puddle under the 80, but figured it was oil from the oil pump so I didn't think much about it. At the end of the school day, I looked under and noticed another puddle so I got under and saw it was coming from my front diff. Drove home and left it in the driveway cause it was leaking pretty bad. Drove a different car today and came home again to a large puddle sitting under the diff after only 20 or so hours (pic will be attached).

@roadstr6 said on the CRR thread to wiggle around the driveshaft to see if there's any movement to check if it's the bearing or just the pinion seal. I did this and it would twist about 1/4" to each side but had no side to side or up and down movement. Anyone know anything else that could be the cause of this? I'm pretty confused because I didn't notice any noise or vibrations leading up to this, and the whole front axle was rebuilt by Trollholes a couple years ago, along with an e locker being put in, so I would imagine that would incldude bearings and the seal, but I'm not totally sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is definitely something I would love to do myself. My 80 has been pretty reliable and I'm just now learning a little bit about fixing up cars so I would love to work on it when something is wrong. Pictures will be attached below, along with a video of the driveshaft if it works

- this is the video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom