SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (2 Viewers)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@POTATO LAUNCHER and I almost got the 40 ready for SAS! :D
D7EA4D4E-E21B-49F9-9BA8-3DF4551D7198.jpeg
857725A8-7630-4892-B70A-FFF61FFD8D93.jpeg
01F65DE6-C6C5-45F5-B454-75978359A2D8.jpeg

Strange, I stopped getting emails from this thread. Have to check the subscription. Got the CB fitted this week for Cruise Moab, so it will be ready for this even too. By then I hope to have a lot more work done. Should be a lot of fun!

Strange, I stopped getting emails from this thread. Have to check the subscription. Got the CB fitted this week for Cruise Moab, so it will be ready for this even too. By then I hope to have a lot more work done. Should be a lot of fun!
That’s the norm on MUD. Happens to me all the time.

Yessir, we are actively working behind the scenes to knit #3 together. We have learned a lot from the past two and our goal is still to be loose with structure where it is required. 25 the first year was very relaxed and our goal is to keep that theme from now on. Stand by folks, all registrants will receive an email in the near future.

The preferred radio for trail comms is still CB. Cheap but effective. Not a deal breaker by any means so it's your choice. We may go to the higher GMRS band in the future but for now its 8 tracks and CB radios in these antique tractors.

I cant bring myself to install an 8 track...I'll pickup a handheld CB and suffer the crackles.

The preferred radio for trail comms is still CB. Cheap but effective. Not a deal breaker by any means so it's your choice. We may go to the higher GMRS band in the future but for now its 8 tracks and CB radios in these antique tractors.
I did stay kind of retro in the sound department in my '86 FJ60 - installed a double DIN Pioneer head unit with CD and cassette. I haven't had an 8 track in a vehicle since my '66 Mercury Cyclone GTA back in college. The CB is from our early days in the Southern Nevada Land Cruisers, that puts it at 35 years old. Still works fine.

When we had it strapped secure we heard baby birds in the upper heater housing. It was decided that four bolts and a couple of hoses would let these birds stay in the yard. Daniel hung the heater in the tree where the 40 was parked. Momma bird came back and now they have the coolest nest in the DFW area.

When we had it strapped secure we heard baby birds in the upper heater housing. It was decided that four bolts and a couple of hoses would let these birds stay in the yard. Daniel hung the heater in the tree where the 40 was parked. Momma bird came back and now they have the coolest nest in the DFW area.
I saw that on IG. that was awesome. Sweet birdhouse.

Hey @mryanangel , I was having CB issues last year so I bought a handheld at Bass Pro in Denver on my way out. Worked fine. I am planning on getting a handheld ham (just to listen of course ;)) because depending on what group you are rolling with, it can be one or the other.

So, do I need to install an 8 track player?

I bought a cheap Midland handheld CB and tested it with a friend last week. Total crap. I could hear him but he said I sounded like scrambled garbage. And this was in two vehicles about 50' apart! So I bagged that and installed a real Uniden unit with an external antenna. Haven't tested that yet, but it should be a big improvement. I'll keep the handheld as a backup, but in my case at least, it was crap.

Also FWIW I used this add-a-circuit widget to power the installed CB, made it super easy. I went with the cig lighter fuse, kept the 15A fuse for that, and added a 3A fuse for the CB. Made it literally plug and play, no wiring to worry about. The CB is mounted to the dash below the ignition switch. Later I might do something with the useless cubby, but this works well for now.

[edit] Make sure you get the right fuse size. I think this one is incorrect, but you get the idea. O'Reillys had the right one in stock.

Last edited:
Hey @mryanangel , I was having CB issues last year so I bought a handheld at Bass Pro in Denver on my way out. Worked fine. I am planning on getting a handheld ham (just to listen of course ;)) because depending on what group you are rolling with, it can be one or the other.

I have multiple hand held baofeng radios ill throw in. You can use one if you want.

So it looks like from the email sent out that the event is going away from the informal trail run groups that gather in the evenings or mornings and is moving to a "sign up" list. Personally i really enjoyed just hooking up with like minded folks in the park.

Ok, the email is more of a collective for us to better prepare for a larger number this year. You are absolutely not required to sign up for any trails, keeping that the same. We just need to know what the group prefers so our volunteer trail leaders can have an idea of what to expect. This is really much more for first timers to the area.
SAS will always be geared towards do what you want with people you want to wheel with. Group Photo and Raffle is the only planned gathering other than arrival dates.
We had several people kinda lost on the mornings after coffee and didn't know where to meet or with who.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom