80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With many of us going the @NLXTACY turbo route and many others with superchargers wanting to monitor their motors further it seems like a good time to start a discussion on gauges and options.

WARNING: I WILL BE PUKING RANDOM THOUGHTS ALL OVER THE PLACE SO I CAN REMEMBER LATER.

This is from me copied over from the turbo thread:

I'm prioritizing gauges in this order:
  1. AFR - Crucial to know if you're rich/lean under boost.
  2. Boost - If you suddenly are not boosting or overboosting it's easy to know theres an issue.
  3. Oil pressure - Without it you go boom.
  4. water temp - I'm not going to rely on the dash gauge with a turbo.
  5. oil temp
I don't think EGT will be that important here but to each their own. This is just based on my experience running high PSI turbo'd subarus.
EGT is critical for the diesel folks.

I'm planning on using a 2 gauge A pillar pod from an integra i picked up on here unless i can get my hands on one of the triple gauge LHD A pillar pods from aus (4x4 concepts made them at one point, reached out to see if they had any more). It needs to be easy to glance at without taking your eyes off the road or you'll never (safely) look at it while under boost.
Also considering something like the following but its not ideal as it may be overkill:
14 in 1 gauge display

I'm looking at the combination innovate gauges like these:
View attachment 1949607

I've run this wideband (innovate MTX-L) in multiple cars. They're bomb proof, easy to log AFRs to an excel sheet and use a GM sensor i believe that's easy to replace at the local auto parts shop
View attachment 1949608

Trying to find some of the older PLXs as well. I recall they had digital faced gauges that could display up to 4 sensor read outs.
Hoping to run AFR/Boost on one of those innovates and everything else on a PLX.

DEFI are top notch nice gauges that will last as long as the trucks if you can afford em.

Need to look into power source for gauges (may do a fuse block) or potentially if we have any open ports on the kick fuse panel and just add a fuse them since they don't draw much (not ideal though).

Also would love to know if anyone has tapped into the dimmer circuit on these to make aftermarket gauges dim with the dash knob.!

If anyone is running gauges please post up what you have and how they're mounted!

Last edited:
The closest one I could find was the PLX DM200. This look familiar? This would not be a bad solution. Just need to make sure it has the correct read outs that we are looking for as well as it being easy to read, regardless of it that is on or off the tarmac.

PLXDM-200OBD2GaugeInstalledClose.jpg

The closest one I could find was the PLX DM200. This look familiar? This would not be a bad solution. Just need to make sure it has the correct read outs that we are looking for as well as it being easy to read, regardless of it that is on or off the tarmac.

View attachment 1949665

That looks more familiar for sure! with that and the combo afr/boost could be pretty well covered with 2 gauges.

The first post i made i realized is a puke out of thoughts with no logic but hopefully it makes sense to some.

I'm going to do some googling and see what else i can come up with. wondering how hard building my own multigauge could be....

That 14 in 1 from justraceparts looks pretty cool. Not overly pricey.

With many of us going the @NLXTACY turbo route and many others with superchargers wanting to monitor their motors further it seems like a good time to start a discussion on gauges and options.

This is from me copied over from the turbo thread:

I'm prioritizing gauges in this order:
  1. AFR - Crucial to know if you're rich/lean under boost.
  2. Boost - If you suddenly are not boosting or overboosting it's easy to know theres an issue.
  3. Oil pressure - Without it you go boom.
  4. water temp - I'm not going to rely on the dash gauge with a turbo.
  5. oil temp
I don't think EGT will be that important here but to each their own. This is just based on my experience running high PSI turbo'd subarus.
EGT is critical for the diesel folks.

I'm planning on using a 2 gauge A pillar pod from an integra i picked up on here unless i can get my hands on one of the triple gauge LHD A pillar pods from aus (4x4 concepts made them at one point, reached out to see if they had any more). It needs to be easy to glance at without taking your eyes off the road or you'll never (safely) look at it while under boost.
Also considering something like the following but its not ideal as it may be overkill:
14 in 1 gauge display
View attachment 1949662
I'm looking at the combination innovate gauges like these:
View attachment 1949607

I've run this wideband (innovate MTX-L) in multiple cars. They're bomb proof, easy to log AFRs to an excel sheet and use a GM sensor i believe that's easy to replace at the local auto parts shop
View attachment 1949608

Trying to find some of the older PLXs as well. I recall they had digital faced gauges that could display up to 4 sensor read outs.
Hoping to run AFR/Boost on one of those innovates and everything else on a PLX.

DEFI are top notch nice gauges that will last as long as the trucks if you can afford em.

Need to look into power source for gauges (may do a fuse block) or potentially if we have any open ports on the kick fuse panel and just add a fuse them since they don't draw much (not ideal though).

Also would love to know if anyone has tapped into the dimmer circuit on these to make aftermarket gauges dim with the dash knob.!

If anyone is running gauges please post up what you have and how they're mounted!

I think the DM200 plus an additional AFR/Boost gauge will be how I end up going. Unless someone else can pull a black cat out of a hat.

59562108.jpg

That 14 in 1 from justraceparts looks pretty cool. Not overly pricey.

Yeah the form factor is not my favorite though and not sure about quality of the unit though haven't looked at reviews. Not sure where you'd place something that large.
That's just the screen for that price. you need the base system and sensors that are sold separately.

I think the DM200 plus an additional AFR/Boost gauge will be how I end up going. Unless someone else can pull a black cat out of a hat.

View attachment 1949671

I'm thinking the same + the innovate wideband & boost gauge. Though a LOT of PLX stuff is out of stock right now. Looks like they had a big sale.

Yeah the form factor is not ideal though and not sure about quality of the unit.
Make sure you realize that's just the screen for that price. you need the base system and sensors that are sold separately.

I'm thinking the same + the innovate wideband & boost gauge. Though a LOT of PLX stuff is out of stock right now. Looks like they had a big sale.

Finding the DM-200 is going to be tricky. My guess is that they did not sell well and have been phased out. Replaced by the DM-6 and DM-100, which are the touch screen units that require you to scroll between screens to see whats what. Not a fan of that. Last thing I would want to do is have to search for the information I am in need of.

Would the 14 in 1 guage display mount via the dash cup holder slot via Joey’s ram mount plate? Joey?
Would that be a good spot to not look away from the road?

That has everything we would need & then some if someone wants to go overkill.
It had the ability to set up warning ⚠️ parameters so you don’t have to constantly monitor.

Someone would need to figure out what sensors will be needed for important guage readings, an electrical write-up to wire into the LC the best way.
And it could be a one-&-done kit.

14 n 1 is about the size of an ultra gauge?

$75 for the display

$150 for base unit with most of the needed sensors

$150 for AFR sensor

Vs

$260 for DM200

Plus $170 for AFR sensor

Plus other sensors

Yeah the form factor is not my favorite though and not sure about quality of the unit though haven't looked at reviews. Not sure where you'd place something that large.
That's just the screen for that price. you need the base system and sensors that are sold separately.

$75 for the display

$150 for AFR sensor

Vs

$260 for DM200

Plus $170 for AFR sensor

Plus other sensors

There is a third alternative as well, that would be getting a PLX Multi-gauge and the required sensors then utilizing a tablet and their app. I strayed away from this alternative, simply from a person ascetic preference. This is found on the PLX Devices website.

$75 for the display

$150 for AFR sensor

Vs

$260 for DM200

Plus $170 for AFR sensor

Plus other sensors

True, could be cheaper overall as long as the sensors are accurate & quality made. I like tried and tested sensor brands not china crap.
I do like the idea of a cubby mount. could use a ram ball mount + cubby insert in some fashion i'm sure.
I'm mostly on the hunt for a clean, minimalist install. The dm200 unfortunately is a larger diameter than most A pillar mounts will take.
I thought about the tablet reader route, but don't know that i want to run a tablet of any kind, full time.
Another good point a friend just made to me is that having digital vs analog can be frustrating. Analog is easy to glance at needle position and know what's going on vs having to take the extra second or two to read and process a number. It seems ridiculous but when you have 4-5 gauges and are in the middle of a WOT pull, makes a big difference. Not that we're racing our cruisers, but something to think about.

You could also go full custom on your existing instrument cluster and put whatever you want in that space like i did.
Custom Gauge Cluster
IMO it's the cleanest yet most costly option.

IMG_0505_zpsyblp5jqw.jpg

Mine are speedhut gauges that monitor the following:
  • Manifold Vacuum
  • Trans Temp
  • Water Temp
  • Fuel Level
  • Oil Pressure
  • Battery Volts
  • GPS based MPH
  • Engine RPM
I have warning/ indicator lights for
  • Front, Center, Rear Diff Locks
  • Cruise Control (Cruise Faults as secondary function)
  • Check Engine Light
  • OD Off Light (Trans Faults as secondary)
  • Parking Brake Light (Low Brake Fluid as secondary)
  • Low Oil Level Light
Not going to lie, it was a ton of work to get it right but well worth not having gauges all over the cab.

I saw a couple of those multi gauge units when I was in Australia for WTAC, I'd never seen nor heard of them before but apparently they are fairly popular and the two guys I spoke to using them said they were happy with them. Apparently their wideband tech has been around for while and is popular as a wire in for some of the guys running far more higher end ECU/Display stuff.

Looks like to go with our application of wanting AFR + Boost + other stuff you'd need:
Wideband controller kit $146
Base unit multi gauge $150
multi gauge screen $75

Totals out to $370 + shipping/taxes etc. Not bad considering that is what just the innovate boost/wideband kit costs and this comes with sensors for:

plus the AFR kit.

You can daisy chain secondary 52 or 60 mm gauges off it too for like $18.

Dimensions of the multi gauge are 9.6cm W x 6.1cm H x 2.8cm D (3.78 x 2.4 x 1.1 in)

Kinda liking this option. I just hate the aesthetics.

You could also go full custom on your existing instrument cluster and put whatever you want in that space like i did.
Custom Gauge Cluster
IMO it's the cleanest yet most costly option.

IMG_0505_zpsyblp5jqw.jpg

Mine are speedhut gauges that monitor the following:
  • Manifold Vacuum
  • Trans Temp
  • Water Temp
  • Fuel Level
  • Oil Pressure
  • Battery Volts
  • GPS based MPH
  • Engine RPM
I have warning/ indicator lights for
  • Front, Center, Rear Diff Locks
  • Cruise Control (Cruise Faults as secondary function)
  • Check Engine Light
  • OD Off Light (Trans Faults as secondary)
  • Parking Brake Light (Low Brake Fluid as secondary)
  • Low Oil Level Light
Not going to lie, it was a ton of work to get it right but well worth not having gauges all over the cab.

I like this a lot, but don't want to lose the OEM dash quite yet or my ODO with <100k on it ;).
If i had a higher mileage rig that i didn't care about keeping as oem/clean as possible in some senses then i'd be on board.

Another idea I was toying with, though it's a bit low and forces use of a single DIN stereo:

(photo found via google, from someone on 'Mud).

Was trying to find a pod similar to this:

no info on it in their build (overlandtheworld 4BT swap). Could be an off the shelf made to fit. Gauge angle isn't the best since its slightly pointing away from the driver and looks like it blocks a good bit of sight.

I personally can't stand a-pillar stuff, I'd go with a unit you can mount cleanly that can be glanced at if needed but perhaps had a warning light function you could remote to your plain of vision (the multi gauge unit you linked supports this) personally given the tech available these days I'd also shoot for something that has a record type function so if you were trying to replicate something you could (obviously with peak and hold functionality) grab a data snap shot.

Pillar pods are kinda tweaker bait, IMO. I'd rather have them less plainly visible from outside the car. They make these to fit many toyotas, not sure if the 80 has the same steering column as a taco, but if so, I like these:
the-flexpod-gauge-mount-for-toyota-hilux-2005-2015__50599.1548445789.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom